Subject: [DNSOP] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-mekking-dnsop-kasp-00.txt

From: Matthijs Mekking <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 15:12:24 +0200

Hi wg,

I see more and more road maps that include implementing Key and Signing
Policies, so Jerry and I thought it would be a good idea to standardize
the policy model and the behavior of its elements.

Ideally, policies can be used between multiple different software
products, and if you do, you expect the same behavior.

Here is an initial draft for this, we would appreciate your feedback.

Best regards,
  Matthijs

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-mekking-dnsop-kasp-00.txt
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 01:25:01 -0700
From: [email-masked]
To: W. (Matthijs) Mekking <[email-masked]>, "Jerry Lundstroem"
<[email-masked]>, Jerry Lundstroem <[email-masked]>,
"Matthijs Mekking" <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-mekking-dnsop-kasp-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by W. (Matthijs) Mekking and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-mekking-dnsop-kasp
Revision:	00
Title:		DNSSEC Key and Signing Policies
Document date:	2014-07-04
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		16
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mekking-dnsop-kasp-00.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mekking-dnsop-kasp/
Htmlized:       http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mekking-dnsop-kasp-00

Abstract:
   This document describes how key policies should look like.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 10:07:10 -0700

At Fri, 04 Jul 2014 15:12:24 +0200,

> products, and if you do, you expect the same behavior.

I think this is a laudable idea.  I'm not sure if we can achieve the
"ideal" goal, but it should be worth trying.

I have just one very minor comment at this moment.  While the draft
says in Section 1.2 as follows:

   A key and signing policy can be expressed in any format.  This
   document uses XML as example.

there's only one XML example in it.  Actually most examples use YANG.

--
JINMEI, Tatuya

---

From: Jerry Lundström <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 07:55:54 +0200

Hi,

> there's only one XML example in it.  Actually most examples use YANG.

Thanks for the comment, I have noted it down in an issue [1] and we will
change it for the next document version. The document was started with
the current policy data structure used in OpenDNSSEC and that is
represented in XML, later we switch to YANG so I think there are a few
more places we need to change the text to reflect that.

Cheers

[1] https://github.com/matje/dnsop-kasp/issues/6

-- 
Jerry Lundström - Software Engineer
.SE - The Internet Infrastructure Foundation
http://www.iis.se/

---

From: Matthijs Mekking <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 10:17:51 +0200

> more places we need to change the text to reflect that.

YANG is not used as an example. It is used here as the *modeling*
language for the policy. XML is an example *markup* language that can be
used to write down the policy.

Best regards,
  Matthijs

---

From: 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 09:06:58 -0700

At Mon, 28 Jul 2014 10:17:51 +0200,

> used to write down the policy.

Ah, okay.  But the current draft looks quite awkward to me even if
it's not incorrect, having just one XML example.  Hopefully future
versions have more XML examples corresponding to each modeling
definition.  Also, understanding the evolution of the document from
full-XML to YANG+XML, it would be more helpful to explicitly clarify
YANG is used for modeling.

BTW, another minor comment: in Section 2.1.13 the "RollType" leaf node
is used, but there's no description for it in the list at the end of
the section.  I'm not sure if it's intentional, but it generally seems
to try to provide a comprehensive list of descriptions, so I guess
this is probably overlooked.

--
JINMEI, Tatuya

---

From: Jerry Lundström <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 08:47:20 +0200

> YANG is used for modeling.

Yes, its a known issue that we need to clarify the usage of YANG and
provide more examples in XML and in other formats as well.

> this is probably overlooked.

Thanks, have noted that down in a new issue [1].

Cheers

[1] https://github.com/matje/dnsop-kasp/issues/9