Subject: [DNSOP] DNS URI code point wire format

From: Mark Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 14:14:19 +1000

When DNS code points are issued based on the request template
	the wire and presentation values are supposed to be fixed.

	URI was issued against draft-faltstrom-uri-05/06.  The wire
	format has been changed in draft-faltstrom-uri-08 in
	particular how the target field is encoded.

	named implemented URI as per draft-faltstrom-uri-05/06
	unbound implemented URI as per draft-faltstrom-uri-08

	We now have two incompatible implementations in the wild.

	We are going to change named to implement draft-faltstrom-uri-08.
	The changes were just committed and will be available in
	the upcoming maintainence releases.

	I would suggest that IANA update or otherwise make a note
	that the wire encoding is that from draft-faltstrom-uri-08
	or else there will be future incompatibilities.

	Mark
-- 
Mark Andrews, ISC
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE:	+61 2 9871 4742		         INTERNET: [email-masked]

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 09:10:00 +0200

> 	or else there will be future incompatibilities.

FWIW, I am in discussion with IESG on the need for publication of the I-D as an RFC that IANA can reference.

   Patrik