Subject: [DNSOP] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc6304bis-03.txt> (AS112 Nameserver Operations) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 07:34:52 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Domain Name System Operations WG
(dnsop) to consider the following document:
- 'AS112 Nameserver Operations'
  <draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc6304bis-03.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-07-29. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Many sites connected to the Internet make use of IPv4 addresses that
   are not globally-unique.  Examples are the addresses designated in
   RFC 1918 for private use within individual sites.

   Devices in such environments may occasionally originate Domain Name
   System (DNS) queries (so-called "reverse lookups") corresponding to
   those private-use addresses.  Since the addresses concerned have only
   local significance, it is good practice for site administrators to
   ensure that such queries are answered locally.  However, it is not
   uncommon for such queries to follow the normal delegation path in the
   public DNS instead of being answered within the site.

   It is not possible for public DNS servers to give useful answers to
   such queries.  In addition, due to the wide deployment of private-use
   addresses and the continuing growth of the Internet, the volume of
   such queries is large and growing.  The AS112 project aims to provide
   a distributed sink for such queries in order to reduce the load on
   the corresponding authoritative servers.  The AS112 project is named
   after the Autonomous System Number (ASN) that was assigned to it.

   RFC6304 described the steps required to install a new AS112 node, and
   offered advice relating to such a node's operation.  This document
   updates that advice to facilitate the addition and removal of zones
   for which query traffic will be sunk at AS112 nodes, using DNAME,
   whilst still supporting direct delegations to AS112 name servers.

   This document obsoletes RFC6304.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc6304bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc6304bis/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.