Subject: [DNSOP] On draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc6304bis and obsoleting RFC 6304

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 19:19:34 -0800

Greetings again. draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc6304bis obsoletes RFC 6304, therefore it should not be indicating that the reader should be familiar with RFC 6304. However, the text confuses this in a few ways.

   RFC6304 described the steps required to install a new AS112 node, and
   offered advice relating to such a node's operation.  This document
   updates that advice to facilitate the addition and removal of zones
   for which query traffic will be sunk at AS112 nodes, using DNAME,
   whilst still supporting direct delegations to AS112 name servers.

This document doesn't "update that advice", it replaces it.

   [RFC6304] describes an approach whereby zones whose traffic should be
   directed towards an AS112 sink should be directly delegated to AS112
   name servers.  Correspondingly, each AS112 node is manually
   configured to answer appropriately for those zones.

   The guidance in this document preserves this capability for the zones
   that were originally delegated in this fashion.  AS112 nodes that
   were implemented in accordance with the guidance in [RFC6304] will
   continue to provide service for those zones.

This should be "This document describes an approach..." and "...with the guidance in this document will..."

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: "William F. Maton Sotomayor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 22:22:46 -0500 (EST)

Hi Paul,

 	Thanks for the update.  There's a newer draft circulating between 
myself and Joe which captures your point.  The additional word-smithing is 
appreciated.

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop
>

wfms