Subject: [DNSOP] DNS long-lived queries

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 09:26:51 -0500

Dear colleagues,

Over in dnssd, there's a draft on the agenda about long-lived queries.
It's expired, but there are different options.  For the mDNS case, it
turned out that LLQ were perhaps not so important; but on the
Internet, they're going to be.

See the agenda at http://tools.ietf.org/wg/dnssd/agenda.

The long-expired draft is at http://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-sekar-dns-llq-01.txt.

There's some proposal to do TCP for this, also.  

One of the interesting things about the LLQ approach is that it
implies clients contacting authoritative servers directly and cutting
out the intermediate resolvers.  It seems to me this proposal has
fairly big implications for the use of the protocol, and therefore
it'd be good to get operational eyes on it.

At the same time, it represents an intriguing way to handle cases
where this might be important.  So I think it's important that those
interested take the idea seriously and not just dismiss it as
unworkable in the general case.  It might not be a general-case tool,
but one that needs to be carefully circumscribed for certain uses (if
that is even possible).

Best regards,

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]