Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 15:31:39 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Decreasing Access Time to Root Servers by Running One on Loopback
        Authors         : Warren Kumari
                          Paul Hoffman
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback-00.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2014-11-30

Abstract:
   Some DNS recursive resolvers have longer-than-desired round trip
   times to the closest DNS root server.  Such resolvers can greatly
   decrease the round trip time by running a copy of the full root zone
   on a loopback address (such as 127.0.0.1).  Typically, the vast
   majority of queries going to the root are for names that do not exist
   in the root zone, and the negative answers are cached for a much
   shorter period of time.  This document shows how to start and
   maintain such a copy of the root zone in a manner that is secure for
   the operator of the recursive resolver and does not pose a threat to
   other users of the DNS.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/