Subject: [DNSOP] new drafts? (Was Draft Reverse DNS in IPv6 for Internet Service Providers)

From: Paul Ebersman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 10:59:31 -1000

I've come to the conclusion that this draft doesn't give me the data I
need to choose when/where/how I might do v6 PTRs for my broadband
customers. It is sufficient for servers, networking gear and business
customers; just not for broadband.

There are two things lacking that would be cleaner to tackle as two new
drafts. These would be:

  - document current usage of v4 PTRs

  - document IETF recommendations for what we *should* be doing with
    PTRs

When we have these, we can actually discuss *how* to do v6 PTRs in this
draft.

I'm willing to work on documenting current usage in v4.

Is there someone willing to drive the recommendations on what we should
be doing with v4/v6? I'm willing to review but don't know that I have
the cycles or background to do a complete job.

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 16:03:14 -0500

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 10:59:31AM -1000, Paul Ebersman wrote:
> be doing with v4/v6? 

"Should"?  Absolutely not.  There is not an answer for that, and the
last time the WG tried to do that I think completely demonstrated the
utility of saying "here's what you should do with the reverse tree".
No consensus will be reached.

"How it works and what happens if you don't pay attention?"  Yes.  I
already volunteered upthread, if people think they actually want that.

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]