Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-terminology-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 17:28:41 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : DNS Terminology
        Authors         : Paul Hoffman
                          Andrew Sullivan
                          Kazunori Fujiwara
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-terminology-00.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2015-04-14

Abstract:
   The DNS is defined in literally dozens of different RFCs.  The
   terminology used in by implementers and developers of DNS protocols,
   and by operators of DNS systems, has sometimes changed in the decades
   since the DNS was first defined.  This document gives current
   definitions for many of the terms used in the DNS in a single
   document.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-terminology/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-terminology-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Shumon Huque <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 12:34:18 -0400

I advise a small correction on the last sentence of this paragraph:

 >    Authoritative server -- A system that responds to DNS queries with
>    information about zones for which it has been configured to answer
>    with the AA flag in the response header set to 1.  It is a server
>    that has authority over one or more DNS zones.  Note that it is
>    possible for an authoritative server to respond to a query without
>    the parent zone delegating authority to that server.  Authoritative
>    servers also provide "referrals", usually to child zones delegated
>    from them; these referrals have the AA bit set to 0 and come with
>    referral data in the Additional section.

Referral data is present in both the authority section and (if needed) the
additional section. It's perfectly possible for a referral to not contain
an additional section (sans OPT etc) if none of the NS records in the
authority require glue address records.

My suggestion: remove the mention of only the additional section
(descriptions of referrals are provided elsewhere in the doc). Or say "and
come with referral data in the authority and (if needed) the additional
section.

Shumon.

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 11:00:19 -0700

On Apr 20, 2015, at 9:34 AM, Shumon Huque <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Referral data is present in both the authority section and (if needed) the additional section. It's perfectly possible for a referral to not contain an additional section (sans OPT etc) if none of the NS records in the authority require glue address records.
> 
> My suggestion: remove the mention of only the additional section (descriptions of referrals are provided elsewhere in the doc). Or say "and come with referral data in the authority and (if needed) the additional section.

This seems like a good change; do others agree?

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Matthijs Mekking <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 09:26:13 +0200

On 20-04-15 20:00, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>>> Authoritative server -- A system that responds to DNS queries
>>> with information about zones for which it has been configured to
>>> answer with the AA flag in the response header set to 1.  It is a
>>> server that has authority over one or more DNS zones.  Note that
>>> it is possible for an authoritative server to respond to a query
>>> without the parent zone delegating authority to that server.
>>> Authoritative servers also provide "referrals", usually to child
>>> zones delegated from them; these referrals have the AA bit set to
>>> 0 and come with referral data in the Additional section.
>> 
>> Referral data is present in both the authority section and (if
>> needed) the additional section. It's perfectly possible for a
>> referral to not contain an additional section (sans OPT etc) if
>> none of the NS records in the authority require glue address
>> records.
>> 
>> (descriptions of referrals are provided elsewhere in the doc). Or
>> say "and come with referral data in the authority and (if needed)
>> the additional section.
> 

I prefer rephrasing over removing.

Best regards,
  Matthijs

> 
> --Paul Hoffman _______________________________________________ DNSOP
> mailing list [email-masked] 
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop
>