Subject: [DNSOP] 1035 quote - Re: Zone apex and delegation point

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 12:02:06 +0000

On 4/8/15, 6:15, "Tony Finch" <[email-masked]> wrote:

Okay, since Tony took a longer look at the quote, I figured I ought to
also. ;)

>Edward Lewis <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On 4/6/15, 12:46, "Casey Deccio" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> >> Isn't "owns an NS set" inferred by "zone"?
>> >
>> > "The NS RR states that the named host should be expected to have a
>>zone
>> > starting at owner name of the specified class" (RFC 1034).

As for just about any old-timey RFC, context is important.  This is
actually in RFC 1035, section 3.3.11.  The section is entitled "NS RDATA
format".

I think it is referring to this:

"owner name" $TTL $CLASS NS "named host"

>I think the point of that quote is that the child zone's SOA must have the
>same owner as the delegation in the parent. (This often gets screwed up in
>load balancer configurations which causes problems because the SOA in a
>negative reply identifies the wrong zone.)

My reading of the statement is, in it's context with "named host" being
what is in the RDATA:  The host in the RDATA field of the NS RR is
supposed to be (/is intended to be/has the expectation to be) (DNS *)
serving the zone named by the records owner name.  From that you can infer
that if you ask that host ('s corresponding IP addresses) for the record
owner name SOA, you should get a positive reply.