Subject: [DNSOP] Delegation - Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-terminology-01.txt

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2015 14:41:21 +0000

On 4/30/15, 10:35, "Andrew Sullivan" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Vice versa, once the parent removes
>> the NS set, the delegation is removed regardless of what the child
>> "thinks."
>
>Well, effectively maybe not.  If a resolver "sticks" on the child,
>then the delegation won't move regardless.

The context here is the definition of the term "delegation".

In operations, it's expected that a parent could remove a delegation (in
the policy sense) and because of TTL's, the child's presence sticks in the
cache.  This is a legitimate outcome of the use of caching.  (It can be
abused, of course, but I'm just trying to stick to definitions of terms,
not operational issues.)

In my personal judgement, the mere fact that there is a transitional state
of a half-baked delegation is not significant.  Perhaps there's a need to
"name" this state (I can see trying to explain this to a customer).  But
to me that doesn't mean the definition of delegation has to take this into
account.

In "policy time" the delegation ends when the parent's zone serial is
incremented and the cut point is gone.  In "real time" the delegation ends
in the eyes of a resolver when it discovers there is no cut point.  Yes,
these are different, but to define "delegation" I would stick to the
perspective of the parent because it is the one legitimately holding the
cards.

---

From: manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 May 2015 17:30:05 -0700

if we are designing protocol and its operations, then policy might not be the best to codify in protocol specs.
i am not persuaded that specifying terminology for every possible edge case is a great use of resources, 
particularly since there seems to be a significant blurring between  defining terminology at the protocol level
and terminology for implementation and policy.    Is that concern important to the group?

manning

[email-masked]
PO Box 12317
Marina del Rey, CA 90295
310.322.8102

On 1May2015Friday, at 7:41, Edward Lewis <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop

---

From: manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 May 2015 17:34:05 -0700

manning

[email-masked]
PO Box 12317
Marina del Rey, CA 90295
310.322.8102