Subject: Re: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-resolver-priming-07.txt

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2016 17:47:48 +0200

On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 10:57:26AM -0400,
 Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 49 lines which said:

> With respect to the DO bit, there was a suggestion:
>   Resolvers SHOULD send DO, and should try validate (if it gets signed
> responses).

There have been no discussion on the priming draft since. IMHO, the
current text is fine (the resolver MAY set the DO bit, it is currently
useless with the ICANN root but it may be useful in the future, or
with another root).

I think this draft is important, well written and I would be sad if it
were lost in oblivion. Time to resurrect the discussion?

---

From: Shane Kerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 15:20:24 +0200

Stephane,

At 2016-05-05 17:47:48 +0200

> useless with the ICANN root but it may be useful in the future, or

The text now says exactly that, which I agree seems completely clear and
correct.

Plus we can always roll another RFC should root-servers.net become
signed (or should some alternate root server naming scheme be adopted).
Maybe it will even take less than 10 years next time? ;)

> were lost in oblivion. Time to resurrect the discussion?

Makes sense to me, I agree.

Cheers,

--
Shane