Subject: [DNSOP] Adopting draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem as the problem statement for special-use domain names (6761bis)

From: "Paul Hoffman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 14:00:30 -0700

Greetings. Since IETF 95 in Buenos Aires, there has been too little 
discussion of how we can move forwards with improving RFC 6761. After 
that meeting, the authors of draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem 
have greatly simplified that document to give it a clear focus on being 
a problem statement. I propose that the DNSOP WG adopt that document as 
a basis a problem statement that can be finished by the end of August.

The other document that this WG has considered, draft-tldr-sutld-ps, has 
not been updated to be less wordy and less historical. Having said that, 
there are a few bits from Section 4 of that document that I think should 
be added to Section 4 of draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem, 
namely the "warranted allocation" problem and the "experimental 
squatting" problem. I would like to see those added in the more-terse 
style of draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem. Also, I would 
explicitly *not* want to add from draft-tldr-sutld-ps the problems that 
are impossible to deal with, such as the "IESG getting sued" problem. I 
would prefer the WG's problem statement to only list those that seem 
tractable.

The lack of forward movement on finishing a problem statement so that we 
can work on the problem is frustrating. We should be able to move on 
this, and not to take forever to do so.

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 21:27:56 +0000

Paul,

> On Jun 28, 2016, at 5:00 PM, Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> The other document that this WG has considered, draft-tldr-sutld-ps, has not been updated to be less wordy and less historical. Having said that, there are a few bits from Section 4 of that document that I think should be added to Section 4 of draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem, namely the "warranted allocation" problem and the "experimental squatting" problem. I would like to see those added in the more-terse style of draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem. 

Thank you for your comments and for pointing out those two specific missing elements in draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem.
I will take a pass at summarizing thosee two points and post an updated draft.

Alain.

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 19:54:32 -0400

Unfortunately the updates to adpkja do not address the serious problems in
the document that led to me writing a replacement. Warren and I are working
on an update to the tldr document.
On Jun 28, 2016 5:28 PM, "Alain Durand" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> there are a few bits from Section 4 of that document that I think should be
> added to Section 4 of draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem, namely the
> "warranted allocation" problem and the "experimental squatting" problem. I
> would like to see those added in the more-terse style of
> draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem.
>
> Thank you for your comments and for pointing out those two specific
> missing elements in draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem.
> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop
>
>

---

From: "Paul Hoffman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 17:37:53 -0700

On 28 Jun 2016, at 16:54, Ted Lemon wrote:

> the document that led to me writing a replacement.

Could you list those? In Buenos Aires, the major problem was "lack of 
focus" and "organization", and it feels like both of those have been 
well addressed in the past few drafts since the meeting.

> Warren and I are working

Good, but should that prevent the WG from adopting 
draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem? If so, why?

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 14:12:20 +0000

I’ve updated draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem to include the two missing points raised yesterday by Paul. The new draft is available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem-05.txt

Alain

> On Jun 28, 2016, at 5:27 PM, Alain Durand <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Paul,
> 
>