Subject: [DNSOP] Spencer Dawkins' No Objection on draft-ietf-dnsop-dnssec-roadblock-avoidance-04: (with COMMENT)

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2016 19:26:31 -0700

Spencer Dawkins has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dnsop-dnssec-roadblock-avoidance-04: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-dnssec-roadblock-avoidance/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This was an entertaining read. 

I share Mirja's comments. In addition:

I'm not sure how well ESL readers will understand "crap-ware"/"crap" in
this passage ("crap-ware" is probably a reasonable term of art, if it's
intelligible enough to readers):

   NOTE: when performing these tests we also assume that the path is
   clear of "DNS interfering" crap-ware/middle-boxes, like stupid
   firewalls, proxies, forwarders.  Presence of such crap can easily
   make the recursive resolver look bad.  It is beyond the scope of the
   document as how to test around the interference.

I'm not sure what "ideally MUST" means, in 

   However, querying many zones will
   result in answers greater than 1220 bytes so ideally TCP MUST be
   available.

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2016 14:05:36 -0700

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-dnssec-roadblock-avoidance/

Agreed.  I've removed that language that "someone" inserted.  Thanks.

>    result in answers greater than 1220 bytes so ideally TCP MUST be

Changed to:

            However, querying many zones will result in
	    answers greater than 1220 bytes so DNS over TCP MUST be
	    available.

-- 
Wes Hardaker
Parsons

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 16:29:34 -0500

Hi, Wes,

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 4:05 PM, Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Please refer to
> https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html

That all sounds great, and thank you.

Spencer