Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-nxdomain-cut-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 06:17:19 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations of the IETF.

        Title           : NXDOMAIN really means there is nothing underneath
        Authors         : Stephane Bortzmeyer
                          Shumon Huque
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-nxdomain-cut-04.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2016-07-18

Abstract:
   This document states clearly that when a DNS resolver receives a
   response with response code of NXDOMAIN, it means that the domain
   name which is thus denied AND ALL THE NAMES UNDER IT do not exist.

   REMOVE BEFORE PUBLICATION: this document should be discussed in the
   IETF DNSOP (DNS Operations) group, through its mailing list.  The
   source of the document, as well as a list of open issues, is
   currently kept at Github [1].

   This documents clarifies RFC 1034 and modifies RFC 2308 a bit so it
   updates both of them.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-nxdomain-cut/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-nxdomain-cut-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-nxdomain-cut-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 15:21:34 +0200

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 06:17:19AM -0700,
 [email-masked] <[email-masked]> wrote 

> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-nxdomain-cut-04.txt

The main change is a request by the AD to document precisely the
updates to the previous RFCs (the -03 claimed to update 1034 and 2308
but did not explain in what way).

As a reminder, the document is currently in IETF-wide Last Call.

---

From: Tim Wicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 18:18:58 +0200

Thanks Stephane.  Basically, the document is updating parts of 1034 and 
2308, and we needed an explicit section for the RFC editors describing 
the changes.   The authors felt replacing the "Rule" section with the 
"Updates to RFC..." was more difficult to read, so we have both 
sections.  The intent of the draft does not change, but you should check 
for yourself.

thanks
tim

On 7/18/16 3:21 PM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop
>