Subject: [DNSOP] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-nxdomain-cut-03.txt> (NXDOMAIN really means there is nothing underneath) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 03:01:11 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Domain Name System Operations WG
(dnsop) to consider the following document:
- 'NXDOMAIN really means there is nothing underneath'
  <draft-ietf-dnsop-nxdomain-cut-03.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-07-29. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document states clearly that when a DNS resolver receives a
   response with response code of NXDOMAIN, it means that the domain
   name which is thus denied AND ALL THE NAMES UNDER IT do not exist.

   REMOVE BEFORE PUBLICATION: this document should be discussed in the
   IETF DNSOP (DNS Operations) group, through its mailing list.  The
   source of the document, as well as a list of open issues, is
   currently kept at Github [1].

   This documents clarifies RFC 1034 and modifies a bit RFC 2308 so it
   updates both of them.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-nxdomain-cut/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-nxdomain-cut/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.