Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-sutld-ps-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 12:26:53 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations of the IETF.

        Title           : Special-Use Domain Names Problem Statement
        Authors         : Ted Lemon
                          Ralph Droms
                          Warren Kumari
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-sutld-ps-03.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2017-03-13

Abstract:
   The Special-Use Domain Names IANA registry policy defined in RFC 6761
   has been shown through experience to present unanticipated
   challenges.  This memo presents a list, intended to be comprehensive,
   of the problems that have been identified.  In addition it reviews
   the history of Domain Names and summarizes current IETF publications
   and some publications from other organizations relating to Special-
   Use Domain Names.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-sutld-ps/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-sutld-ps-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-sutld-ps-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 07:28:08 -0400

draft-ietf-dnsop-sutld-ps-03 includes revised text to address issues raised during the WG last call and other editorial improvements.  The list of issues, discussion and resolution are in GitHub: https://github.com/Abhayakara/draft-tldr-sutld-ps

There is one substantial addition to the list of problems in section 3: the use of DNSSEC with Special-Use Domain Names.

In the authors' opinion, draft-ietf-dnsop-sutld-ps-03 addresses all of the WG last call issues and the document is ready to be forwarded to the IESG.

- Ralph

> On Mar 13, 2017, at 3:26 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop

---

From: Petr Špaček <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 11:52:24 +0100

> There is one substantial addition to the list of problems in section 3: the use of DNSSEC with Special-Use Domain Names.

The 03 version is a very good one.

I would like to comment on one side-effect of the changes:
The Summary section was removed and the text moved elsewhere. IMHO this
makes the document less understandable to a person who was not involved
with its development.

For this reason I propose new Summary section, which would be basically
current 4.1.4.  Liaison Statement on Technical Use of Domain Names.

The reference to these two I-Ds can be at the same place as current 4.1.4.

So the new text would look like:

4.1.4.  Expired Internet Drafts Relating to SUDN
   /links to/
   [I-D.chapin-additional-reserved-tlds]
   [I-D.grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names]

6. Summary
   As a result of processing requests to add names to the Special-Use
   Domain Name registry, as documented in
   [I-D.chapin-additional-reserved-tlds] and
   [I-D.grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names], the IAB initiated a review
   of the process defined in RFC 6761 for adding names to the registry.
   This review was identified as in the charter of the IETF DNSOP
   working group, and the review has been conducted in that working
   group.  The Liaison Statement [SDO-IAB-ICANN-LS] notified ICANN of
   the review, affirmed that the discussion would be "open and
   transparent to participation by interested parties" and explicitly
   invited members of the ICANN community to participate.
   This document is a product of the IETF DNSOP working group review of
   the registry process in RFC 6761.

I believe that original 4.1.4 nicely summarizes what this document is about.

Petr Špaček  @  CZ.NIC

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 08:23:47 -0400

Petr, thanks for your review and feedback...

> On Mar 15, 2017, at 6:52 AM, Petr Špaček <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

I agree that some of the text belongs in a more prominent place, to alert the reader to the process behind the document.  I've opened an issue: draft-ietf-homenet-dot-03

Our proposed solution is to move some of the detail behind this document from section 4.1.4 to the Introduction.

OLD:

1.  Introduction

   [...]

   Special-Use Domain Names [RFC6761] created an IANA registry for
   Special-Use Domain Names [SDO-IANA-SUDR], defined policies for adding
   to the registry, and made some suggestions about how those policies
   might be implemented.  Since the publication of RFC 6761, the IETF
   has been asked to designate several new Special-Use Domain Names in
   this registry.  During the evaluation process for these Special-Use
   Domain Names, the IETF encountered several different sorts of issues.
   Because of this, the IETF has decided to investigate the problem and
   decide if and how the RFC 6761 process can be improved, or whether it
   should be deprecated.

NEW:

1.  Introduction

   [...]

   Special-Use Domain Names [RFC6761] created an IANA registry for
   Special-Use Domain Names [SDO-IANA-SUDR], defined policies for adding
   to the registry, and made some suggestions about how those policies
   might be implemented.  Since the publication of RFC 6761, the IETF
   has been asked to designate several new Special-Use Domain Names in
   this registry.  During the evaluation process for these Special-Use
   Domain Names, the IETF encountered several different sorts of issues.
   Because of this, the IETF has decided to investigate the problem and
   decide if and how the RFC 6761 process can be improved, or whether it
   should be deprecated.  The IETF DSNOP working group charter was
   extended to include conducting a review of the process for adding
   names to the registry that is defined in RFC 6761. This document is a
   product of that review.

OLD:

4.1.4.  Liaison Statement on Technical Use of Domain Names

NEW:

4.1.4.  Liaison Statement on Technical Use of Domain Names

   As a result of processing requests to add names to the Special-Use
   Domain Name registry, as documented in
   [I-D.chapin-additional-reserved-tlds] and
   [I-D.grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names], a review was chartered
   of the process defined in RFC 6761 for adding names to the registry
   (as explained earlier).  The Liaison Statement [SDO-IAB-ICANN-LS]
   notified ICANN of the review, affirmed that the discussion would be
   "open and transparent to participation by interested parties" and
   explicitly invited members of the ICANN community to participate.

- Ralph

---

From: Petr Špaček <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 13:17:21 +0100

>    explicitly invited members of the ICANN community to participate.

Sounds good to me, thank you!

Petr Špaček  @  CZ.NIC

-- 
Petr Špaček  @  CZ.NIC

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 08:51:31 -0400

> On Mar 24, 2017, at 8:17 AM, Petr Špaček <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

The updated text will appear in the next published rev of the doc.  Thanks for your review and quick feedback...

- Ralph