Subject: [DNSOP] [Errata Verified] RFC7816 (4644)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 09:58:05 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been verified for RFC7816,
"DNS Query Name Minimisation to Improve Privacy". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=7816&eid=4644

--------------------------------------
Status: Verified
Type: Technical

Reported by: Robert Edmonds <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2016-03-24
Verified by: Joel Jaeggli (IESG)

Section: 6

Original Text
-------------
QNAME minimisation can decrease performance in some cases -- for
instance, for a deep domain name (like
www.host.group.department.example.com, where 
host.group.department.example.com is hosted on example.com's name
servers).  Let's assume a resolver that knows only the name servers of
.example.  Without QNAME minimisation, it would send these .example name
servers a query for www.host.group.department.example.com and
immediately get a specific referral or an answer, without the need for
more queries to probe for the zone cut.  For such a name, a cold
resolver with QNAME minimisation will, depending on how QNAME
minimisation is implemented, send more queries, one per label.  Once the
cache is warm, there will be no difference with a traditional resolver.
Actual testing is described in [Huque-QNAME-Min].  Such deep domains are
especially common under ip6.arpa.

Corrected Text
--------------
QNAME minimisation can decrease performance in some cases -- for 
instance, for a deep domain name (like
www.host.group.department.example.com, where 
host.group.department.example.com is hosted on example.com's name
servers).  Let's assume a resolver that knows only the name servers of
.example.com.  Without QNAME minimisation, it would send these 
.example.com name servers a query for 
www.host.group.department.example.com and immediately get a specific
referral or an answer, without the need for more queries to probe for
the zone cut.  For such a name, a cold resolver with QNAME minimisation
will, depending on how QNAME minimisation is implemented, send more
queries, one per label.  Once the cache is warm, there will be no
difference with a traditional resolver.  Actual testing is described in
[Huque-QNAME-Min].  Such deep domains are especially common under
ip6.arpa.

Notes
-----
Changed ".example" to ".example.com".

--------------------------------------
RFC7816 (draft-ietf-dnsop-qname-minimisation-09)
--------------------------------------
Title               : DNS Query Name Minimisation to Improve Privacy
Publication Date    : March 2016
Author(s)           : S. Bortzmeyer
Category            : EXPERIMENTAL
Source              : Domain Name System Operations
Area                : Operations and Management
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG