Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 08:15:45 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations of the IETF.

        Title           : DNS Scoped Data Through Global '_Underscore' Naming of Attribute Leaves
        Author          : Dave Crocker
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf-02.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2017-03-29

Abstract:
   Formally, any DNS "RR" may occur for any domain name.  However some
   services have defined an operational convention that applies to DNS
   leaf nodes that have a reserved node name, beginning with an
   underscore.  The underscore construct is used to define a semantic
   scope for DNS records that are associated with the parent domain.
   This specification explores the nature of this DNS usage and defines
   the "DNS Global Underscore Scoped Entry Registry" registry with IANA.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Bob Harold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 16:00:25 -0400

> https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf-02

Near end of section 1:

"underscore-based names that are farther down the
hierarchy is handled within the scope of the highest-level
 _underscore name."

Change "is" to "are"

-- 
Bob Harold

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 10:52:17 -0500

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 08:15:45AM -0700,
 [email-masked] <[email-masked]> wrote 

> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf-02.txt

Section 5 "IANA considerations" does not use the names of standard
policies. draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis, currently in the RFC editor
queue, says "It is not strictly required that documents use these
terms [the standard policies]; the actual requirement is that the
instructions to IANA be clear and unambiguous.  However, use of these
terms is strongly recommended because their meanings are widely
understood."

Therefore, I suggest to replace "have been specified in any published
RFC, or are documented by a specification published by another
standards organization" by "specification required (RFC 5226bis,
section 4.6).

Also, the proposed initial registry includes:

 SPF        | _spf         | "TXT" | [RFC7372]

RFC 7372 contains *nothing* about that, and SPF (RFC 7208) does not
use undesrscore names.