Subject: [DNSOP] 4 DNS presentations on MAPRG (Thu 9:30 @Place du Canada)

From: "Giovane C. M. Moura" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 14:13:11 -0400

Hello Folks,

So in the end of today's session, I briefly mention that there will be 4
presentations on MAPRG tomorrow about DNS. After that, some people told
me they'd would have liked  to know a bit more these presentations and
the group itself, since many people on DNSOP may not be aware of MAPRG.

While I cannot speak for the MAPRG chairs[1], the group brings Internet
measurement folks to the IETF , and many of the works are about
evaluating protocols engineered here.

Tomorrow's session will have 4 presentations on DNS[2], and two of them
are 20min long:

  * When the Dike breaks: dissecting DNS Defenses during DDoS (by me, so
I can elaborate a bit):

There has been various DDoS attacks against DNS; with different impact
on users. DNS recursives has various built-in mechanisms
(caching,replication, retries). In this paper, we evaluate the user's
experience, based on the built-in resilence of DNS, in emulated DDoS
attacks using Ripe Atlas. There is various tips for ops teams in
engineering auth servers for DDoS.

 * Finding the source of DNS resolver users that were using old DNSSEC
keys, by Wes Hardaker

Then, there are two 'heads-ups'  presentations (5min each):

   * Heads-up talk: Dmap: Automating Domain Name Ecosystem Measurements
and Applications, by me too

   * Heads-up talk: Monitoring DNS with open-source solutions, by Felipe
Espinoza

So it would be nice to have some DNSOP folks in the room for some
interesting discussions. It will start at 9:30 at Place du Canada.

Best,

/giovane

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/maprg/about/
[2] https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/102/materials/agenda-102-maprg-02

---

From: Tim Wicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 14:21:51 -0400

Thanks Giovane.   I am hoping some DNSOP folks will show up.

It does conflict with DNS-SD, but those look like interesting talks.
I've included the links for the click-adverse:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/102/materials/slides-102-maprg-dmap-automating-domain-name-ecosystem-measurements-and-applications-giovane-c-m-moura-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/102/materials/slides-102-maprg-monitoring-dns-with-open-source-solutions-felipe-espinoza-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/102/materials/slides-102-maprg-when-the-dyke-breaks-dissecting-dns-defenses-during-ddos-giovane-c-m-moura-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/102/materials/slides-102-maprg-dnssec-ksk-2010-trust-anchor-signal-analysis-wes-hardaker-00e

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 2:13 PM, Giovane C. M. Moura <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop
>

---

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 19:41:21 -0400

I will say that maprg has become my favorite "value added" event of IETF
week - terrific opportunity to learn about how the Internet really works in
ways a bit beyond (but relevant to) our usual focuses. (whatever those
focuses might be). Highly recommend.

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 2:21 PM, Tim Wicinski <[email-masked]> wrote:

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/102/materials/slides-
> 102-maprg-dmap-automating-domain-name-ecosystem-
> measurements-and-applications-giovane-c-m-moura-00
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/102/materials/slides-
> 102-maprg-monitoring-dns-with-open-source-solutions-felipe-espinoza-00
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/102/materials/slides-
> 102-maprg-when-the-dyke-breaks-dissecting-dns-
> defenses-during-ddos-giovane-c-m-moura-00
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/102/materials/slides-
> 102-maprg-dnssec-ksk-2010-trust-anchor-signal-analysis-wes-hardaker-00e
>
>
>
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 2:13 PM, Giovane C. M. Moura <
> [email-masked]> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> Hello Folks,
>>

---

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 19:56:42 -0400

Really glad you sent this, Giovane! Thank you