Subject: [DNSOP] [[email-masked]: difference between dns spoofing and dns hijacking?]

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 10:44:38 +0200

Some work for draft-ietf-dnsop-terminology-ter? Define spoofing,
poisoning and hijacking?

Subject: difference between dns spoofing and dns hijacking?
From: "Lauren C." <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 15:30:02 +0800
List-Id: DNS Operations <dns-operations.lists.dns-oarc.net>

I saw the info from google,

While the DNS hijacking involves a malware, the DNS Cache poisoning 
involves overwriting your local DNS cache with fake values that redirect 
your browser to malicious websites. ... Though DNS Cache Poisoning and 
DNS Hijacking are used interchangeably, there is a small difference 
between them.

Not very sure about the explanation.
Can you kindly expand it?

thanks.
_______________________________________________
dns-operations mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.dns-oarc.net/mailman/listinfo/dns-operations
dns-operations mailing list
https://lists.dns-oarc.net/mailman/listinfo/dns-operations

---

From: "Niall O'Reilly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 13:50:03 +0100

> Some work for draft-ietf-dnsop-terminology-ter? Define spoofing,

I think it's arguable either way whether to go for a -ter edition or to bring out a companion document with its scope restricted to abuses, attacks, and mitigations.

/Niall