Subject: [dnssd] WGLC for draft-ietf-dnssd-srp

From: David Schinazi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 14:57:08 -0700

Hi DNSSD enthusiasts,

This email starts an official Working Group Last Call
for draft-ietf-dnssd-srp. This call asks whether we believe the document is
ready for publication. As such we are asking two questions:

1) if you believe this document is not ready to publish, please speak up now

2) if you have read the document and think it is ready, please say so as
well

For this call to succeed, we'll need statements of explicit support from
people who have read the draft. Please send statements in either direction
as responses to this email. This call will be open until 2021-08-15 23:59
UTC.

Thanks,
David

---

From: Abtin Keshavarzian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 16:47:08 -0700

Hi,

I'd like to add my support in favor of publishing the draft-ietf-dnssd-srp.

I have read and reviewed the draft in detail (including the latest version)
and I think it is good and ready to be published.

SRP is a solution which is intended for use/adoption in Thread mesh
networks. The use of unicast packets by SRP makes it a preferred and more
efficient approach.

In OpenThread (open source) project, we have implemented the SRP client and
server (per the draft spec) which are available at:
-
https://github.com/openthread/openthread/blob/main/src/core/net/srp_client.cpp

-
https://github.com/openthread/openthread/blob/main/src/core/net/srp_server.cpp

I'd like to thank Ted and Stuart for writing this and driving this forward.

Abtin.

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 2:57 PM David Schinazi <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> dnssd mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnssd
>

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 19:19:21 -0700

Thanks, Abtin. One slight clarification: Thread was the use case that
first motivated an implementation of SRP, but we’re also hoping to make it
work on regular infrastructure networks like WiFi and Ethernet! :)

On Wed, Jul 28 2021 at 18:47, Abtin Keshavarzian <
abtink=[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have read and reviewed the draft in detail (including the latest
> version) and I think it is good and ready to be published.
>
> In OpenThread (open source) project, we have implemented the SRP client
> and server (per the draft spec) which are available at:
> -

---

From: Jonathan Hui <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 10:18:02 -0700

I have reviewed the latest version of this document
(draft-ietf-dnssd-srp-10) and believe it is ready to publish.

For those interested in playing with OpenThread's SRP implementation, see
the Thread Border Router Codelab
<https://openthread.io/codelabs/openthread-border-router#0>.

The OpenThread SRP implementation is also being used in Matter
<https://buildwithmatter.com/> and already integrated into the Matter SDK
<https://github.com/project-chip/connectedhomeip/blob/master/src/platform/OpenThread/GenericThreadStackManagerImpl_OpenThread.cpp#L42>
.

--
Jonathan Hui

---

From: Abtin Keshavarzian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 11:51:24 -0700

Thanks Ted.

Yes. I fully agree and I think SRP will be definitely useful in other infra
networks (WiFi/Ethernet) as well.

Sorry. What I meant (which I agree probably was not clear) is that Thread
group (and Matter) intends to use/adopt SRP (and not that SRP is only
intended for use by Thread). :)

Abtin.