Subject: [dnssd] [Dnssd] DNS-SD for networking automation (ANIMA etc..)

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 21:34:53 +0200

Dear DNS-SD WG

I wanted to bring this work again up with DNS-SD working group, looking for interest
and collaboration.

I presented this originally in 2017 at IETF100 to DNS-SD WG:
  https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/100/materials/slides-100-dnssd-03-toerless-grasp-01.pdf

But then had to let this work sleep because we had a backlog of about 450 pages
worth of ANIMA drafts that wanted to become RFC first, which we finally managed
to get done in May 2021 - RFC{8366,8368,899[012345]}

So, now i refresh this work for IETF111, alrady with additional co-author
and wanted to also refresh interest with DNS-SD:

a) Introducing GRASP protocol as a new transport for "DNS-SD" (beside mDNS, unicast and others).
  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-eckert-anima-grasp-dnssd/
b) Leveraging DNS-SD to drive autoconfiguration of decentalized infrastructure services in networks.
  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-eckert-anima-services-dns-autoconfig/

The foundational part is really that there are several significant infratructure
services needed in networks including NTP, radius/diameter, DHCP, DNS, syslog, 
netconf/ssh that need to be autoconfigured both for initial bootstrap of devices,
but also during the network lifecycle, and dynamic Service Discovery makes
those services much more flexible to confiure, resilient against server failure
and performant through server load-splitting and/or proximity based server selection.

So, i'll be asking for a slot to present / discuss again at IETF111,
also taking feedback from IETF100 into account!

But please feel free, to also discuss here on the mailin list!

Cheers
    Toerless