Subject: Re: [Dtls-iot] Fwd: [dice] #8 (profile): Server Name Indication

From: Michael StJohns <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 13:52:34 -0400

On 6/21/2014 2:19 PM, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:
>
>
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: [dice] #8 (profile): Server Name Indication
> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 15:16:35 -0000
> From: dice issue tracker <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
>
> #8: Server Name Indication
>
>   This extension defines a mechanism for a client to tell a TLS server the
>   name of the server it wants to contact. This is a useful extension for
>   many hosting environments where multiple virtual servers are run on single
>   IP address.
>
>   Recommendation: Offer support for this extension in the profile.
>
>

I'm ambivalent on this.  On one hand this is yet another parameter that 
the IoT node needs to store; on the other hand it may provide some 
usefulness.

The questions to be answered are "How many different IoT meshes will 
home a single IP address/TCP Port?"  "How many different servers will 
one IoT node have?"

E.g. does it really make sense to multiplex an IoT server as a virtual 
server (with the cost to the IoT node side) or can we get away without 
the need/cost for virtual servers (yes - I understand the cost is low, 
but it's not zero and maybe expensive with 1M IoT nodes connecting hence 
the question)

Mike

---

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 20:01:37 +0200

Hi Mike,

I also had to struggle a bit with this one since it really depends on
the deployment situation. If a company decides to use a hosting
deploying that requires the use of the Server Name Indication then there
will be little choice.

I would say that listing it in the document will create some awareness
for developers to think about this extension and to be aware of it since
it may indeed be relevant.

Ciao
Hannes

On 07/17/2014 07:52 PM, Michael StJohns wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> dtls-iot mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dtls-iot