Subject: [dtn-security] issues in Bundle Security Protocol
From: "Peter Lovell" <[email-masked]>
To: "dtn interest" <[email-masked]>, "Peter Lovell" <[email-masked]>, "dtn security" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 14:01:54 -0400
List-Id: DTN Security Discussion <dtn-security.mailman.dtnrg.org>

Hi all,

BSP is available in the latest dtn tarball (thanks Mike!) 
<http://www.dtnrg.org/docs/code/dtn_2.5.0.tgz>
including all three mandatory ciphersuites. Now that this is generally
available, the dtnrg cvs tree is where updates and changes will appear
first. There are several places where the code needs to improve checking
to guard against bad blocks and this will be happening in the near future.

With this first cycle done, it's time to look at several items we'd
sidelined in order to get this first release completed.

In order to keep the discussions focussed, I'm creating a different
starter for each.

Cheers.....Peter

From: "Peter Lovell" <[email-masked]>
To: "dtn interest" <[email-masked]>, "dtn security" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 14:02:02 -0400
Subject: [dtn-security] BSP and key management

The first open issue relates to how we handle key management.

Various of us have different ideas of exactly what it means -- what's in
and what's not. And each of these has a number of component parts.

One obvious component is some kind of information-store or database
where keys or key-material are saved. There are also the processes for
interacting with local users of the key storage, forming what might be
called a "key service". Another is the interaction mechanism for a key-
service at one location and a remote key-service at another.

My goal is for this thread to decide which things should go into BSP
specification and which should more properly be in the new KM spec
initiated by Stephen 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-farrell-dtnrg-km-00.txt> 
and then reach closure on at least the BSP portions.

>From the BSP standpoint, I see two main items:-
1. what minimum capability is required in support of the mandatory
ciphersuites
2. what does key material look like in a bundle

The term "key material" used for a bundle is expansive and encompasses
all the keys and related "stuff" such as certificates, IVs, signatures,
key references or identifiers, etc etc.

The other requirements and characteristics seem to be better placed in
the KM spec, things like:-
1. key-wrap using symmetric and assymetric keys
    (algorithms, procedures etc)
2. rules for storage (protection) and usage of key material
3. key exchange and/or negotiation protocol between nodes
    (BSP itself never negotiates keys)

Thanks.....Peter

p.s. we only look at KEKs here, not traffic keys

From: Michael Demmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 15:54:46 -0700
To: dtn-interest <[email-masked]>, dtn-dev <[email-masked]>, dtn-users <[email-masked]>, dtn-security <[email-masked]>
Subject: [dtn-security] dtnrg.org transition complete

We've moved the wiki site and mailing lists over to a new server, and  
things appear to be working fine now.

We've preserved all list subscriptions, though as you may have  
noticed from the mailman messages, everyone has a newly allocated  
mailman password. Also, options relating to message formats and  
digests need to be re-applied on the new mailing list server.

Please contact me if you run into any problems with the new  
configuration.

-mike