Subject: [dtn] DTN use cases

From: "Ivancic, William D. (GRC-LCA0)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 13:43:41 +0000

The following document has a number of use cases:

http://syzygyengineering.com/2014/SCF.pdf

There are also some use cases here which are either duplicate or
additional.  This document came first.

http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ivancic-dtnrg-network-management-reqs-00.txt

However, after deploying some of these use cases, in particular
investigating DTN on the global Hawk UAV (GEO Bent Pipe Relay Satellite to
UAV) and DTN for large file transfers from a remote sensing  low Earth
orbiting satellite (Low Earth Orbit Sensor Satellite), it is apparent that
DTN is not needed for either of these applications and actually adds
complexity. Upon further   consideration, it became apparent that  DTN
adds little or no value to a single hop store  carry and forward system.
DTN is most useful in a multi-hop store carry and forward system. Consider
your laptop or cell phone: You can send emails, text messages, pictures,
documents, or whatever by queuing them  up and then sending them when
you're connected to the Internet. Applications such as dropbox, Google
Drive, etc. work just fine to move information between single hop
disconnected systems - that is  systems that are off-line and then when
they are online are connected to a connected network.

Will