Subject: [Dyncast] New Non-WG Mailing List: dyncast

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 07:18:39 -0800

A new IETF non-working group email list has been created.

List address: [email-masked]
Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/dyncast/
To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dyncast

Purpose:
Service providers are exploring the edge computing to achieve better 
response time and control over data by moving the computing services 
towards the edge of the network. There could be a huge number of edge 
sites, and at the same time each edge site has a limited and very 
dynamic computing capacity and load characteristics. Then the problem 
comes as how to optimally route service demands based on computing and 
network metrics to the best edge. Most current practices uses random or 
round robin way or use geographically closest one to decide the edge to 
handle the service demand. It considers the static characteristics like 
aliveness and geographical distance of edges. Dynamic status like 
computing load and network path status are not taken into account. In 
addition, the practices usually determine the best edge in respect to 
the computing and networking aspects separately rather than jointly. 
Dyncast (dynamic anyast) tries to route the computing service demands 
based on computing and network metrics jointly at the network layer to 
improve the efficiency.

This list belongs to IETF area: RTG

For additional information, please contact the list administrators.