Subject: [EAI] Document Action: 'SMTP extension for internationalized email address' to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 18:46:00 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following documents:

- 'Internationalized Email Headers '
   <draft-ietf-eai-utf8headers-12.txt> as an Experimental RFC
- 'SMTP extension for internationalized email address '
   <draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-13.txt> as an Experimental RFC

These documents are products of the Email Address Internationalization 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Chris Newman and Lisa Dusseault.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-13.txt

Technical Summary

    These two documents form the core specification for an
    extension to SMTP and RFC 2822 that allow the use of
    UTF-8 in message headers without encoding.

    This includes the use of non-ASCII characters in email
    addresses, both on the left and right hand sides of the
    @ character.

Working Group Summary

    The WG was chartered to explore one particular approach
    to email internationalization, and succeeded in keeping
    to that charter.
    There was extensive discussion of one particular design
    choice - on which MIME type to use.

Document Quality

    The documents have been extensively reviewed by people
    with mail expertise. There have been reports of
    implementations, but no interoperability tests have been
    reported to date.

Note to RFC Editor

    The document draft-ietf-eai-utf8headers-12.txt has a number of
    English grammar issues and may require extensive editorial work,
    please plan accordingly.
    
    draft-ietf-eai-utf8headers-12.txt header, please add:
      Updates: RFC2045, 2822

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:03:15 +0100

> These documents are products of the Email Address Internationalization

I find it a matter of regret that the IESG has published these documents
in spite of my complaint that they were inconsistent with existing Draft
Standards.

It remains my opinion that the message/utf8smtp feature is a clear breach
of RFC 2045, and that it will not interwork with the bulk of deployed
current servers.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131                       
   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5
_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 19:01:53 +0100

> of RFC 2045, and that it will not interwork with the bulk of deployed

Experimental data supporting your opinion would be most welcome to help 
evaluate the success and/or failure of this experiment.

		Thanks,
		- Chris