Subject: [eap] A suggestion for extensibility of EAP

From: [email-masked] (Wei Wang)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 01:15:21 -0500

I don't know if this has been suggested already. Also, I am new 
to the list and haven't gone through the archived messages yet.

What I would like to suggest is to add one EAP type, which would 
do the following:

1.  Negotiate authentication methods for, potentially, mutual 
and asymmetrical authentication.

2.  Negotiate key generation algorithm(s), which may also be 
asymmetrical, if needed.

There are examples of existing mutually authenticating EAP types 
that generate encryption keys for use in WEP sessions. However, 
for extensibility, it seems to make sense to allow such key 
generation be separated from authentication.

Also, this should allow a much larger EAP type coding space for 
adding new authentication types.

Regards,
-- 
Wei Wang                  mailto:[email-masked]
Interlink Networks, Inc.  http://www.interlinknetworks.com