Subject: [eap] Issue 399: NITs

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 16:51:45 -0800

Issue 399: NITs
Submitter name: Bernard Aboba
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date Submitted:  March 8, 2007
Reference:
Document: NETSEL-06
Comment type: Editorial
Priority: S
Section: 2.5, 2.6
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

Section 1

"Current AAA protocols may not be able to route the"

Please expand AAA on first use.

Section 1.1

1.1.  Terminology

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
   document are to be interpreted as described in [RFC2119].

You might change the title to "Requirements Language" and put the 
terminology in a separate Section 1.2 on Terminology.

I think you need a definition of AAA:

AAA  Authentication, Authorization and Accounting.  AAA protocols with
     EAP support include RADIUS [RFC3579] and Diameter [RFC4072].

The definitions should be included in alphabetical order.

   Within the context of network selection and discovery the term
   'network' is sometimes used interchangeably with the term 'realm'.
   It should be noted that a realm can be reachable from more than one
   access network types and selection of a realm may not imply certain
   network capabilities.

This material should be placed under the definition of "realm".

Section 2.1

RFC 3017 [RFC3017] describes the IETF Proposed
Standard for the Roaming Access XML DTD.

Please expand acronyms "XML" and "DTD" on first use.

   The GSM specifications also provide for discovery of points of 
attachment, as
   does the CARD [RFC4066] protocol developed by the IETF SEAMOBY WG.

Please expand "GSM", "CARD" and "WG" on first use.

   These include allowing APs to announce
   capabilities of neighbor APs as well as their own [IEEE.802.11k].

Please expand "AP" on first use.

  A single SSID also may support dynamic VLAN access as described in 
[RFC3580]

Please expand "SSID" on first use.

Section 2.2

   For example, the user may have an account
   with one or more Public WLAN providers; a corporate WLAN; and one or
   more wireless WAN providers.

Please expand "WLAN" and "WAN" on first use.

      For example, if EAP-TLS is the authentication mechanism

Please expand "EAP" and "TLS" on first use.

Section 2.3.2

NAI with a realm of"a.example.com".

Space needed between of and the "

Section 2.3.3

   Similarly, it could be difficult to determine
   whether QoS or other routing requests were actually provided as
   requested.

Please expand "QoS" on first use.

Section 2.4

This section title should probably be entitled "Network Capabilities 
Discovery" to parallel the problems described in Section 2.

Section 3.2

NAS devices.

Please expand "NAS" on first use.

   o  Work is underway in IEEE 802.1, IEEE 802.21 and the IEEE 802.11u
      to provide enhanced discovery functionality.  Similarly, IEEE
      802.1af has discussed addition of network functionality to IEEE
      802.1X. However, neither IEEE 802.1ab nor IEEE 802.1af is likely
      to support fragmentation of advertisement frames, so that the
      amount of data that can be transported will be limited.

   o  While IEEE 802.11k provides support for the Neighbor Report, this
      only provides for gathering of information on neighboring 802.11
      APs, not points of attachment supporting other link layers.
      Solution to this problem would appear to require coordination
      across IEEE 802 as well as between standards bodies.

I think you need references to IEEE 802.11u, IEEE 802.1af, IEEE 802.1X and 
IEEE 802.1ab.

7.  Contributors

I'd suggest that this section be renamed "Acknowledgments" (no number) and 
be placed after References.

Section 8

Why does this document have normative references?  I think they should all 
be informative.

Appendix A

As noted in [RFC3748] Section 3.1, the minimum EAP MTU is 1020 octets,

Please expand "MTU" on first use.

Since RFC 1035 [RFC1035] enables FQDNs

Please expand "FQDNS" on first use.

A.3

The PLMN lists are prioritized and stored in the SIM.

Please expand "SIM" on first use.

A.4

It also describes solutions to the realm selection problem based on EAP, 
SSID and PEAP-based mechanisms.

Please expand "PEAP" on first use.

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

Arhives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/eap