Subject: [Ecrit] [issue2] LoST Query with Composite Location

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 20:09:09 +0000

Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]> added the comment:

Henning wrote:

I think we narrowed the disagreement in the meeting to two questions:

(a) Is PSAP (and service resolution) likely to depend on floor and  room number?

(b) If (a) is true, how likely is it that systems actually provide  geo plus 
room numbers?

Hannes: Only Brian responded to this issue as follows:

In my opinion, the answer to (a) is "yes", and the answer to (b) is "not
very"

We need more feedback in order to close this issue.

----------
title: Is it allowed to specify civic and geospatial info into the query? -> LoST Query with Composite Location

__________________________________________________
LoST Issue Tracker <[email-masked]>
<http://www.tschofenig.priv.at:8080/lost/issue2>
__________________________________________________

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 17:04:01 -0400

I'll note that allowing this case means restructuring the protocol,  
as the current description has "findByGeo" and "findByCivic".

Given that there is no unique GPS coordinate for a building and that  
two high-rises could be very close to each other, I have to admit  
that, like Brian, I find the likelihood that anybody would choose to  
use such a representation for mapping rather unlikely.

As noted before, the number of error cases is also fairly large.  
Which pieces of civic, for example, are allowed beyond a floor, room  
number and cubicle? Can I just provide a room number (since it might  
already indicate the floor implicitly)?

Thus, I'm in favor of skipping this. If we do not, we should re-label  
the LoST queries and just have one kind.

The argument in favor of allowing this is that RFC 3825 provides this  
type of information and  draft-ietf-geopriv-pdif-lo-profile-04  
describes the mapping to a PIDF-LO element. Thus, a system would have  
to skip the civic component when creating a query. (In practice, I  
think this is going to be rather confusing anyway, e.g., if an 802.11  
AP on one floor is "heard" on a floor above or below.)

Henning

On Aug 6, 2006, at 4:09 PM, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:

> title: Is it allowed to specify civic and geospatial info into the  
> query? -> LoST Query with Composite Location
>