Subject: [Ecrit] Fw: ATIS PRESS RELEASE: ATIS Releases Suite of IP-based Emergency Services Standards

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 14:05:43 -0500

FYI, in case folks did not see this go by ...

-- Peter Blatherwick

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
Behalf Of ATIS
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 12:11 PM
Subject: ATIS PRESS RELEASE: ATIS Releases Suite of IP-based Emergency 
Services Standards

ATIS Releases Suite of IP-based Emergency Services Standards
December 4, 2006, Washington ? ATIS today announced the availability of 
its newly developed suite of IP-based Emergency Services Network Interface 
(ESNI) standards that will enable the expansion of E9-1-1 services and 
functionality within the Next Generation Network (NGN). 
The ESNI suite of standards includes an overall emergency services 
framework for the ESNI applications and protocols such as the Emergency 
Information Services Interface (EISI) that provide access to emergency 
services within or external to the Emergency Services Network (ESNet). The 
ESNI standards suite also includes the Emergency Services Messaging 
Interface (ESMI), released in September 2005, which provides managed 
interconnections between next generation public service answering points 
(PSAPs) and the ESNet. 
For more information, see the full release online at 
http://www.atis.org/PRESS/pressreleases2006/120406.htm. 

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 09:25:15 +0100

Are some documents available?

Ciao
Hannes

[email-masked] wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> *From:* [email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]> 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] *On Behalf Of *ATIS*
> Sent:* Monday, December 04, 2006 12:11 PM*
> Subject:* ATIS PRESS RELEASE: ATIS Releases Suite of IP-based 
> Emergency Services Standards
>
> *ATIS Releases Suite of IP-based Emergency Services Standards*
>
> *December 4, 2006, Washington – *ATIS today announced the availability 
> of its newly developed suite of IP-based Emergency Services Network 
> Interface (ESNI) standards that will enable the expansion of E9-1-1 
> services and functionality within the Next Generation Network (NGN).
>
> framework for the ESNI applications and protocols such as the 
> Emergency Information Services Interface (EISI) that provide access to 
> emergency services within or external to the Emergency Services 
> Network (ESNet). The ESNI standards suite also includes the Emergency 
> Services Messaging Interface (ESMI), released in September 2005, which 
> provides managed interconnections between next generation public 
> service answering points (PSAPs) and the ESNet.
>
> _http://www.atis.org/PRESS/pressreleases2006/120406.htm_.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 10:09:07 -0500

> Are some documents available?

Good question.  I noted that their effort has focused purely on NGN.   
While I've heard that word thrown around, I've never actually head a  
good explanation of what it is.  The nearest I can tell, NGN is a  
walled-garden, non-global Internet, US-centric network.  It is good  
that they have done this for NGN, but I doubt those standards will  
apply to the global Internet.

-andy

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 11:04:26 -0500

Well, actually this is the work product of the "TF34" work group in
ATIS/ESIF.  It defines basically two protocols, ESMI and EISI.  ESMI is used
when you have what they call "mediated" access to services by a PSAP, i.e.
the PSAP desires a middle man to mediate access to various IP based services
the PSAP may have available to it.  ESMI is the interface between the
mediation (RG = Response Gateway) and the PSAP.

The EISI is the other side, Service to RG, although it may be useful to
connect directly from a service to the PSAP.

I personally think ESMI is a mess. Go read it.  EISI is basically a profile
of web services, and may be more useful.  That's a personal opinion, and
doesn't represent the views of .

Now, in answer to the original question, yes docs are available, but because
this is ATIS, you have to buy them.  There are drafts around if you look on
the web.

Brian

________________________________________
From: Andrew Newton [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 10:09 AM
To: Hannes Tschofenig
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Fw: ATIS PRESS RELEASE: ATIS Releases Suite of
IP-basedEmergency Services Standards

Good question. I noted that their effort has focused purely on NGN. While
I've heard that word thrown around, I've never actually head a good
explanation of what it is. The nearest I can tell, NGN is a walled-garden,
non-global Internet, US-centric network. It is good that they have done this
for NGN, but I doubt those standards will apply to the global Internet. 

-andy