Subject: [Ecrit] The U.S. Department of Transportation Next Generation 9-1-1 Project: Notice of Contract Award

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 15:17:53 -0500

The U.S. Department of Transportation (ITS JPO, RITA & EMS Office,
NHTSA) has announced the selection of Booz Allen Hamilton, Inc. (BAH) to
support the USDOT Next Generation 9-1-1 (NG9-1-1) initiative.  
The $4.4 million dollar contract requires the team spearheaded by BAH to
develop and validate requirements for the NG9-1-1 system, define a
system architecture, and develop a transition plan that considers
responsibilities, costs, schedule, and benefits for deploying IP-based
emergency services across America. The system will be evaluated to
determine how it supports emergency call initiation, routing, and
processing that will ultimately fulfill public safety emergency response
information needs.  The contract's period of performance is expected to
be two years.
The growing market penetration of both cellular and
Voice-Over-Internet-Protocol (VOIP) telephony have underscored the
limitation of the current 9-1-1 infrastructure.  
Anticipated benefits to be derived from a next-generation system
include:
*	Quicker and more accurate information delivery to responders;
*	Better and more useful forms of information:  real-time text,
images, video, and other data;
*	More flexible, secure, and robust Public Safety Answering Point
(PSAP) operations; and
*	Lower public capital and operating costs for emergency
communication services.	
NG9-1-1 is one of USDOT's major ITS research initiatives.  
For detailed information on NG9-1-1 and the other major ITS initiatives,
go to the USDOT's ITS Website at www.its.dot.gov.

Jenny Hansen, Project Coordinator
Next Generation 9-1-1 (NG 9-1-1)
www.its.dot.gov/ng911 
USDOT/NHTSA
(202) 366-5598

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit