Subject: [Ecrit] marking of PSAP call backs

From: "Milan Patel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 14:27:59 -0000

Hi Folks,

For next week's 3GPP CT1 meeting I have submitted a document based on
the Internet-Draft for marking PSAP call backs. The intention is to get
some feedback from 3GPP on which of the solution approaches, if any, are
a good way to progress work in for this feature. Also, the paper intends
to get a decision on whether 3GPP see that it is possible to fulfil the
requirement of marking PSAP call backs within the 3GPP release 9
timeframe. 

The Internet-Draft is:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-schulzrinne-ecrit-psap-callback-01

The 3GPP paper is available at:

http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/tsg_CT/WG1_mm-cc-sm_ex-CN1/TSGC1_62_Beijing/docs
/C1-095075.zip

I will update you on the discussion that occurs next week. In the mean
time if you have any immediate feedback or comments on the paper or the
Internet-Draft, I would appreciate them. 

Best regards,

Milan

Milan Patel 
Carrier Networks Core Standards 
Nortel 
[email-masked] 
Telephone +44 162 843 2381 / ESN 560 2381 
Mobile +44 774 053 9261 / ESN 748 9261 

For the Companies listed below, The Institute of Chartered Accountants
in England and Wales authorises A R Bloom, S Harris and C Hill to act as
Insolvency Practitioners under section 390(2)(a) of the Insolvency Act
1986 and the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants authorises A
M Hudson to act as an Insolvency Practitioner under section 390(2)(a) of
the Insolvency Act 1986.

The affairs, business and property of the Companies are being managed by
the Joint Administrators, A R Bloom, S Harris, AM Hudson and C Hill who
act as agents of the Companies only and without personal liability.

The Companies are Nortel Networks UK Limited; Nortel Networks SA; Nortel
GmbH; Nortel Networks France SAS; Nortel Networks NV; Nortel Networks
SpA; Nortel Networks BV; Nortel Networks Polska SP Zoo; Nortel Networks
Hispania SA; Nortel Networks (Austria) GmbH; Nortel Networks sro; Nortel
Networks Engineering Service Kft; Nortel Networks Portugal SA; Nortel
Networks Slovensko sro; Nortel Networks Oy; Nortel Networks Romania SRL;
Nortel Networks AB; Nortel Networks International Finance & Holding BV

---

From: "Milan Patel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 03:21:19 -0000

Hi,

Yesterday in 3GPP CT1, we discussed the marking of PSAP call backs based
on draft-schulzrinne-ecrit-psap-callback-01. The solution approaches
were presented but CT1 did not agree on a way forwards. No preference
was indicated for any of the solution approaches defined in the draft,
but it was commented that the use of a URI parameter (as per older
versions of the "sos" parameter draft) would be a satisfactory mechanism
for 3GPP. The security vulnerabilities would still be an issue for
further study. 

A number of companies expressed a preference for a solution defined by
the IETF and suggested that 3GPP should consider if a solution defined
by the IETF would satisfy the requirements of 3GPP. Uses of any of the
solution approaches (or a combination of them) are not precluded and
alternative solution approaches would also be considered. 

During the discussions it was questioned if handling of call backs
towards emergency callers with special needs (such as the hard of
hearing) need to be considered. At least in 3GPP we define emergency
calls using GTT for the hard of hearing. I believe such calls are also
considered in the ECRIT Framework/PhoneBCP. 

Best regards,

Milan

Milan Patel 

________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Patel, Milan (MOP:EP10)
Sent: 05 November 2009 14:28
To: ecrit
Subject: [Ecrit] marking of PSAP call backs

Hi Folks,

The Internet-Draft is:

Best regards,

Milan

Milan Patel

---

From: Brian Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 09:07:17 -0400

Thank you for this.

With regard to the last section, we need to consider two cases:
A) The caller with special needs places a call using non-voice media
directly to the PSAP.  There is no 3rd party interpreter in  the path.  With
respect to call backs, this is a simple case, as all calls would be signaled
the same way, but the SDP content would indicate text and/or video, or some
form of IM would be used.   Therefore any solution that worked with voice
would work.

B) The caller with special needs uses an interpreter, either engaged by the
user, or perhaps by the PSAP, and a 3 way call ensues.  A return call would
need to recreate this arrangement, ideally with the same interpreter (if the
call back occurred soon after the original call).  -phonebcp does not
discuss this kind of call.  We have worked on exactly this arrangement, with
the caller engaging a 3rd party interpretation service, in NENA.

The U.S. now has assigned telephone numbers to deaf and hard of hearing
users who employ video (sign language) or text relay services.  When dialed
direct by the PSTN, the call reaches an interpreter, who completes an IP
call to the deaf/hard of hearing user¹s device.  Similarly, when the deaf or
hard of hearing user places a direct dialed call from their device, it
automatically engages a relay service and places the voice part of the call
from the interpreter to the hearing called party via the PSTN.  Using a
service like that for callback would be simple, but not as good as the
original emergency call, which was a 3 way.  To place a call back with a 3
way would require somewhat different signaling than described in phonebcp.
I don¹t see this as very difficult, but it is different.  I believe this
kind of service will be extended to speech to speech relay, captioned voice
service, and possibly others.  We may have to investigate how other
countries are evolving their telecommunications services for special needs
individuals.

Brian

On 11/9/09 11:21 PM, "Milan Patel" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi,
>  
> Yesterday in 3GPP CT1, we discussed the marking of PSAP call backs based on
> draft-schulzrinne-ecrit-psap-callback-01. The solution approaches were
> presented but CT1 did not agree on a way forwards. No preference was indicated
> for any of the solution approaches defined in the draft, but it was commented
> that the use of a URI parameter (as per older versions of the "sos" parameter
> draft) would be a satisfactory mechanism for 3GPP. The security
> vulnerabilities would still be an issue for further study.
>  
> A number of companies expressed a preference for a solution defined by the
> IETF and suggested that 3GPP should consider if a solution defined by the IETF
> would satisfy the requirements of 3GPP. Uses of any of the solution approaches
> (or a combination of them) are not precluded and alternative solution
> approaches would also be considered.
>  
> During the discussions it was questioned if handling of call backs towards
> emergency callers with special needs (such as the hard of hearing) need to be
> considered. At least in 3GPP we define emergency calls using GTT for the hard
> of hearing. I believe such calls are also considered in the ECRIT
> Framework/PhoneBCP.
>  
> Best regards,
> Milan
>  
> 
> Milan Patel 
> For the Companies listed below, The Institute of Chartered Accountants in
> England and Wales authorises A R Bloom, S Harris and C Hill to act as
> Insolvency Practitioners under section 390(2)(a) of the Insolvency Act 1986
> and the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants authorises A M Hudson
> to act as an Insolvency Practitioner under section 390(2)(a) of the Insolvency
> Act 1986.
> 
> The affairs, business and property of the Companies are being managed by the
> Joint Administrators, A R Bloom, S Harris, AM Hudson and C Hill who act as
> agents of the Companies only and without personal liability.
> 
> The Companies are Nortel Networks UK Limited; Nortel Networks SA; Nortel GmbH;
> Nortel Networks France SAS; Nortel Networks NV; Nortel Networks SpA; Nortel
> Networks BV; Nortel Networks Polska SP Zoo; Nortel Networks Hispania SA;
> Nortel Networks (Austria) GmbH; Nortel Networks sro; Nortel Networks
> Engineering Service Kft; Nortel Networks Portugal SA; Nortel Networks
> Slovensko sro; Nortel Networks Oy; Nortel Networks Romania SRL; Nortel
> Networks AB; Nortel Networks International Finance & Holding BV
> 
> 
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Patel, Milan (MOP:EP10)
> For next week's 3GPP CT1 meeting I have submitted a document based on the
> Internet-Draft for marking PSAP call backs. The intention is to get some
> feedback from 3GPP on which of the solution approaches, if any, are a good way
> to progress work in for this feature. Also, the paper intends to get a
> decision on whether 3GPP see that it is possible to fulfil the requirement of
> marking PSAP call backs within the 3GPP release 9 timeframe.
> The Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/tsg_CT/WG1_mm-cc-sm_ex-CN1/TSGC1_62_Beijing/docs/C1-09
> 5075.zip
>  
> I will update you on the discussion that occurs next week. In the mean time if
> you have any immediate feedback or comments on the paper or the
> For the Companies listed below, The Institute of Chartered Accountants in
> England and Wales authorises A R Bloom, S Harris and C Hill to act as
> Insolvency Practitioners under section 390(2)(a) of the Insolvency Act 1986
> and the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants authorises A M Hudson
> to act as an Insolvency Practitioner under section 390(2)(a) of the Insolvency
> Act 1986.
> 
> The affairs, business and property of the Companies are being managed by the
> Joint Administrators, A R Bloom, S Harris, AM Hudson and C Hill who act as
> agents of the Companies only and without personal liability.
> 
> The Companies are Nortel Networks UK Limited; Nortel Networks SA; Nortel GmbH;
> Nortel Networks France SAS; Nortel Networks NV; Nortel Networks SpA; Nortel
> Networks BV; Nortel Networks Polska SP Zoo; Nortel Networks Hispania SA;
> Nortel Networks (Austria) GmbH; Nortel Networks sro; Nortel Networks
> Engineering Service Kft; Nortel Networks Portugal SA; Nortel Networks
> Slovensko sro; Nortel Networks Oy; Nortel Networks Romania SRL; Nortel
> Networks AB; Nortel Networks International Finance & Holding BV
> 
>  
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Ecrit mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit