Subject: [Ecrit] Last Call: <draft-ietf-ecrit-unauthenticated-access-07.txt> (Extensions to the Emergency Services Architecture for dealing with Unauthenticated and Unauthorized Devices) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 07:52:12 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Emergency Context Resolution
with Internet Technologies WG (ecrit) to consider the following document:
- 'Extensions to the Emergency Services Architecture for dealing with
   Unauthenticated and Unauthorized Devices'
  <draft-ietf-ecrit-unauthenticated-access-07.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-09-27. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The IETF emergency services architecture assumes that the calling
   device has acquired rights to use the access network or that no
   authentication is required for the access network, such as for public
   wireless access points.  Subsequent protocol interactions, such as
   obtaining location information, learning the address of the Public
   Safety Answering Point (PSAP) and the emergency call itself are
   largely decoupled from the underlying network access procedures.

   In some cases, however, the device does not have these credentials
   for network access, does not have a VoIP service provider, or the
   credentials have become invalid, e.g., because the user has exhausted
   their prepaid balance or the account has expired.

   This document provides a problem statement, introduces terminology
   and describes an extension for the base IETF emergency services
   architecture to address these scenarios.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ecrit-unauthenticated-access/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ecrit-unauthenticated-access/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.