Subject: [Ecrit] Alexey Melnikov's Discuss on draft-ietf-ecrit-data-only-ea-21: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: Alexey Melnikov via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2020 06:58:04 -0800

Alexey Melnikov has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ecrit-data-only-ea-21: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ecrit-data-only-ea/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a tiny point, but I think it needs fixing for clarity:

5.2.  The AlertMsg-Error Header Field

      error-code       = 1*3DIGIT

The text below makes it clear that the error-code is 3 digits:

   The ErrorValue contains a 3-digit error code indicating what was
   wrong with the alert in the request.

What you have above allows for 1, 2 or 3 digits. I think you meant:

      error-code       = 3DIGIT

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I initially thought that error-codes are from the same namespace as SIP Status
Codes. I think you should explicitly say that they are not.

The first mention of HTTPS needs a normative reference.

In Section 10.1:

   Encoding considerations:  Uses XML, which can employ 8-bit
      characters, depending on the character encoding used.  See
      [RFC7303], Section 3.2.

This field of the form should say one of "7bit", "8bit", "binary" or "framed".
I think in your case it is "binary", because UTF-16 charsets are not prohibited
in your document.

---

From: Brian Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2020 10:28:31 -0500

Thanks for your comments.  I will fix them all.

Brian

> On Mar 3, 2020, at 9:58 AM, Alexey Melnikov via Datatracker <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Brian Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2020 17:07:16 -0400

Should be fixed in -22
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ecrit-data-only-ea-22