Subject: RE: EDIINT AS2 Status

From: "Kyle Meadors" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 20:55:22 -0500

Marc,

I understand the frustration - dealing with firewalls are always an
annoyance. However, my concern is that is a significant departure from the
general concept of the AS2 protocol. The relative simplicity and openness of
AS2, compared to some other B2B standards, is also what makes it very
attractive to many supply-chains. Given that it is such a mature draft
(widely implemented and hopefully soon to be RFC), making a change of scope
at this point is not wise.

A better approach would be to for a port recommendation within an
organization, like UCC or EAN, than to modify the standard. I believe UCC
has discussed making a AS2 recommendation sheet which would cover profiles
and trading partner arrangements. 

Kyle Meadors
DGI

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Nurmi, Marc A
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 3:45 PM
To: 'Rik Drummond'; [email-masked]
Cc: Zeldes, Rick; Redick, Jeffrey A
Subject: RE: EDIINT AS2 Status

If it's not too late, I would like to submit a concern we have about the AS2
standard...

We (EDS) have participated in the past several rounds of AS2
interoperability testing.  During each round, we inevitably have to open a
number of ports on our corporate firewalls due to the current arbitrary port
selection process that vendors use when bringing up an AS2 server.  As a
result, we currently have 60+ ports open to allow AS2 traffic in and out of
our corporate network.  Not only does this cause a lot of effort to be
needlessly expended, it also presents an increased security risk.

This is not only an issue with interoperability testing, it is also a
production AS2 issue.  If the standard assumes the use of the default ports
80/443 it isn't happening.  We believe some guidance in the standard with
respect to port selection would help.

It seems to us that if the AS2 standard RECOMMENDED a pair of ports that it
would simplify AS2 implementation and improve the standard.  The ports could
be registered with IANA at http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/usr-port-number.pl.
For example, ports 5080/5443 are currently unregistered and could be
recommended as ports to use in an AS2 implementation.

Marc Nurmi - EDS
phone: 248-265-4514 (8-365)
mailto:[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Rik Drummond
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2004 2:56 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: EDIINT AS2 Status

I believe we have answered all the concerns posted about the draft on the
previous WG Last Call for AS2. Kyle and Dale have done their normal
excellent job on applying the comments. 

There are some new requirements for draft submissions formats what we are
attempting to implement in the AS2 document before doing, hopefully, our WG
last final call.

We are almost there!

Best Regards, Rik Drummond

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.725 / Virus Database: 480 - Release Date: 7/19/2004

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.729 / Virus Database: 484 - Release Date: 7/27/2004

---

From: "Alberti Antoine" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 10:43:26 +0200

It's only a default port, it doesn't break compatibility.
Regards.
Antoine Alberti

> -----Message d'origine-----
> De : [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]De la part de Kyle Meadors
> Envoyé : mardi 3 août 2004 03:55
> À : 'Nurmi, Marc A'; 'Rik Drummond'; [email-masked]
> Cc : 'Zeldes, Rick'; 'Redick, Jeffrey A'
> Objet : RE: EDIINT AS2 Status
> 
> 
> 
> Marc,
> 
> be registered with IANA at 
> http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/usr-port-number.pl.