Subject: [edu-team] Question on edu-team role...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:57:18 -0400

Hi All,

Thomas Narten raised a question about the edu-team on the 
IESG list, and I'd be interested to hear our answers.
Thomas question (slightly edited for context) was:

>>2.8 IETF Participants and Leaders are Inadequately Prepared for
>>their Roles
>>
>>The EDU Team has been charged with continuing and improving
>>training and educational resources for participants and leaders.
>>Currently, the EDU Team efforts are focused on training and
>>education for participants, WG chairs and document editors.
>
>Agree with this. IMO, what needs to happen more is:
>
> - more clearly define roles (ADs, WG chairs, document editor, participant)
> - do much better at ensuring that persons carry out their roles
>   appropriately
> - this involves a combination of education/coaching/mentoring/moral
>     support/clarifying roles, having WGs demonstrate that they've
>     developed a good spec prior to handing it to the IESG
> - do we also need to "prepare" folk for document reviewing roles? I
>   suspect this would be useful; one can learn to be a good reviewer.
>
>  Does the EDU team understand  that they have this mission? Do they
>  agree with it?

So, what do we think?

Is this our mission?  And, if so, should we say something stronger
about this in our charter?

Margaret

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 06:24:32 -0500

I hadn't seen any discussion (and I'm sure that's because of the I-D
cutoff)...

> - more clearly define roles (ADs, WG chairs, document editor,
participant)

This needs to happen in the IETF, but EDU is not the right place to do
it (I suspect I misunderstand the context of "define roles"). EDU is
the right place to develop training for people who fulfill those
roles, and clear definition will be helpful.

> - do much better at ensuring that persons carry out their roles

Almost certainly, this is an IETF responsibility, not an EDU
responsibility.

Spencer