Subject: [edu-team] FW: IETF's Edu Team

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 09:53:15 -0500

Any thoughts on how/if we can help Yakov?
I doubt it would make any sense for an IRTF
chair to attend WG Chairs training...

Margaret

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of ext Yakov
Shafranovich
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 5:50 PM
To: Wasserman Margaret (NRC/Boston)
Subject: IETF's Edu Team

Dear Margaret,

I co-chair the Anti-Spam Research Group (ASRG) at the IRTF. I am fairly 
new at the position and the IETF/IRTF in general, and I was wondering 
what resources are provided by the edu team that can help me.

Sincerely,
Yakov Shafranovich
Co-Chair, ASRG

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 06:11:47 +0100

Well there is no rule that says an IRTF chair can't use some IETF 
procedures. they just don't have to.
So, I don't think there is harm is inviting him to the meeting, he 
should just know that he is not under the same rules.

And as i understand it, the IESG is getting more 'involved' in 
approving IRTF info drafts these days, so being introduced to the 
technopolitical methods that pertain to the IETF could be useful.

a.

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 05:35:58 -0600

Just to echo Avri on a couple of points -

- Vern Paxton is trying to get more stuff into IRTF that can come out
of IRTF and into IETF, so improving the IRTF understanding of the ins
and outs of IETF is likely a good thing (see the mobility research
stuff for a recent example).

- for ASRG specificially, anything we have talked about re: IPR or
mailing list management would have been of utmost interest to Yakov -
IRTF doesn't have an IPR policy, so ASRG has been using the IETF
policy as an interim step, and Yakov has even had people on the
mailing list posting under multiple identities saying "I agree with
(myself under a different name), and this is the only proposal we've
seen that solves (problem X)". It's possible that we could learn
something from Yakov about dealing with insane participants (there's a
reason IRTF groups aren't required to meet face-to-face!).

Spencer