Subject: [edu-team] Charter v6

From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 07:00:34 -0400

Hi,

Since we have a non terminating conversation on the charter, Brian  
has asked for consensus call, i.e. a Edu Team last call, on the charter.

As opposed to just doing a LC or even of asking the question as  
suggested by Brain, I have these questions I would like answered:

- Can you accept the charter as is?

- If not, what MUST be changed and how would you change it?

thanks
a.

OVERVIEW:

The Education (EDU) Team manages the internal education efforts of the
IETF with the goal of enabling IETF operational improvement.  The
elements of this effort include improving the efficiency of IETF WG
efforts and increasing the effectiveness of IETF leaders and
participants by highlighting and clarifying their roles and
responsibilities and by instruction on the means by which they can be
effective in those roles.

STRUCTURE:

This education effort is managed by the EDU Team, which consists of a
team coordinator and several members. The team coordinator is
| appointed annually by, and reports to, the General Area Director, and
the members of the team are chosen by the team coordinator, with the
| approval of the General Area Director. This charter was approved
| by the IESG on [DATE TBD].

In order to allow for community visibility and input into IETF
educational activities, the archives of the EDU Team mailing list are
publicly available, and a public discussion list is available for open
discussion of education efforts.  The Edu Team maintains a web site
that contains the minutes of all EDU Team meetings as well as other
information about ongoing work. The team also holds periodic open EDU
Team meetings (approximately once per year at IETF meetings) to report
on plans and  progress and to receive community input and feedback.
| It is also expected that the team will solicit and accept input
| on topics to be covered from the IESG, IAB, IAOC and the body
| of WG Chairs.

CURRENT Activities (As of March 2006):

The EDU Team is responsible for providing the educational tutorials
held on the Sunday before IETF meetings.  Several types of tutorials
are offered on a periodic basis.

- Newcomer's training is a traditional offering that proceeds the
    creation of the EDU team by many years.  This tutorial attempts to
    give new, and continuing, participants an introduction to the
    processes and practices of the IETF and its meetings.  In recent
    years the Newcomers training has also been given in the local
    language when the IETF meeting is held in a non English speaking
    country.

- The EDU team offers several other classes for both participants and
    leaders in IETF processes.  These include:

        - WG Leadership training, which gives a introduction to the
     	  roles and dynamics in the working groups.

        - Ongoing seminars for current WG chairs that covers topics of
           particular concern to those actively involved in leading  
the WGs.
           Some of the recent topics covered include:
           - MIB construction
           - IESG DISCUSS criteria
           - IPR considerations
           - Managing a WG meeting

        - RFC Editors training: the class covers the basics required to
     	  produce a well formed RFC.  Recently this class has been
     	  taught by a member of the RFC Editor team.

- Technical oriented topics intended to help participants do their
    jobs in the IETF more effectively.  The classes in this category
    are varied and change frequently over time.  Topics are chosen
    where there is reason to believe that relevant technical knowledge
    that is important to the IETF community as a whole can be
    effectively shared by specialists in the topic within a short
|   (e.g. two hour) session.
|   Material presented in such classes will be purely tutorial
|   in nature and will be explicitly outside the scope of
|   the IETF standards process.

     Classes that have been offered include:
     - DNS for Applications Programmers
     - Introduction to Security and Writing a Security section
     - Overview of IETF routing principles and technology.

The Team's responsibility also includes scheduling and logistical
planning for these sessions, deciding what will be presented by whom
at topical sessions, managing the development and review of training
materials, and maintaining an archive of our training materials on the
EDU Team web site.

FUTURE PLANS (March 2006 - September 2007):

Over the next 18 months, we will enhance and extend our current
training activities for participants, document editors and WG chairs,
based on community feedback and the judgment of the education team.

o Augment WG leadership offerings and ongoing WG chairs training to
|  cover topics helpful in running a successful WG given the IETF's
|  varied international range of participants.  Topics to be
   considered include:
   - IPR management in a WG
   - creation and management of realistic milestones, use of regular
|    project checkpoints, within the WG process
   - how to build rough consensus in a WG
   - how to provide tutorial documentation and presentations to allow
     people to quickly catch up to what the WG is doing
   - how to manage mailing lists with summaries of complex threads,
     documenting all sides of arguments, together with decisions and
     rationales

o A focus of the EDU team will be on looking for new ways to present
   IETF educational material.  Currently all slides set from the
   classes are available on the web, but there is not any web based
   instructional material available.

o The team will investigate new training initiatives intended to
assist the IETF in improving its effectiveness and efficiency. Some of
the ideas to be discussed include the following, though not all idea
will turn into classes:

   - Bringing new work into the IETF. This would be a process topic
     aimed at all IETF participants. The material would include
     information on how to bring new work into the IETF, including how
     to bring documents into existing WGs and how to organize a BoF and
     attempt to form new WGs. Although this information is intended to
     encourage participants to bring interesting work to the IETF, the
     class would also cover IPR and other implications of a decision to
     pursue work within the IETF.

   - IETF Protocol Engineering Fundamentals These topics would explore
      technical considerations that all IETF document authors and
      reviewers should consider when developing protocols within the
      IETF.

   - How to structure protocol documents, to make them easier to read,
       understand, and implement.

   - How to make the best use of the new tools being offered by the
      tools group and others.  Some examples might be issue trackers or
      xml2rfc.

Information regarding these topics will be published on the EDU Team
web site, and while these topics may not all become classes,
information on the investigation into these topics will be reported on
the community.

CONTACT INFORMATION:

Team Coordinator: Avri Doria (avri at acm.org)

General Area Director: Brian Carpenter (brc at zurich.ibm.com)

Mailing Lists:

Education Team: [email-masked]
Archive: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

General Discussion: [email-masked]
Subscribe/Archive: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-discuss

Education Team Web Site: http://edu.ietf.org/
_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team