Subject: [edu-team] My notes from today's EDU meeting

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 11:05:07 -0500

Attending: Avri, Spencer, James, Mirjam, Brian, Susan, Thomas, Margaret

- Agenda review

We added Jonathan Rosenberg's offer to do an ICE tutorial to the agenda

- Status of charter

We haven't moved the website yet, but our current website is (almost)
behaving - Avri wasn't able to upload the XML2RFC tutorial.

Brian has approved the updated charter after IESG review and open
discussion. Didn't get any public comments, don't know if this is a
problem but did get lots of discussion from IESG and privately.

We don't have much traffic on EDU-discuss, either.

We're getting a little spam in the archives, too. Avri will ask
secretariat how this might be happening.

- Status of preparations for IETF67

We now have an abstract for "bringing new work" from Thomas, and the
deadline is approaching, so no expected problems :-)

David Harrington is doing the MIB doctor's tutorial this time

IEPG now conflicts completely with EDU tutorials (to avoid conflicts
with IAB on Sunday mornings, after they switched with IESG, but that
will be alternating anyway)

Margaret will check in with Paul on co-teaching the WG leadership class

Radia has had some conversations with security folks but hasn't tied
up all the loose ends yet. Margaret is sure Radia is aware of the
sensitivity here.

- WG Lunch IETF67

Plan was for Margaret to talk with Allison about WG chair access to
the tracker. Do we think this is going to happen in the next few
months? This has stalled for now, pending the Proto team spec, so
probably don't need to talk about this at IETF 67.

Spencer will do heads-up and call for participation in WG chair Wiki,
but that will be short (10 minutes).

ATOMPUB is involved with mandatory-to-implement security - should we
discuss this at the lunch? IESG will have responded to the appeal by
then. Can security people come talk about this at WG chairs lunch?
We've had similar problems in PPVPN, CAPWAP - broader interest than
just ATOMPUB. "We're the security area and we're here to help".
Margaret to advertise to WG chairs and provide RSVP date.

Last couple of meetings have had lots of RSVPs and lots of no-shows,
so not sure how to handle logistics well. Re-confirm a couple of days
in advance? Spencer ran into maybe 10 ADs and chairs who couldn't
remember if they had RSVPed or not, the morning of the last lunch.

- Agenda for open meeting

We're blocked out on Monday from 1 to 3, but this is tentative.

Review charter and discuss. These meetings have almost been open EDU
meetings - one participant who wasn't on EDU.

Talking about additional classes, talking about what we do in addition
to classes.

Can we send out a message a day or two before the meeting? Might get
people who aren't sure how they can contribute. Work with Brian on
text announcing new charter? Brian can post to IETF-announce, and
close to the date is good.

Thomas - what is purpose of open meeting? To be open, give people
chance to discuss ideas. Called for in the charter - outreach plus
face-to-face comments. If we're doing outreach we should focus on
that.

IESG asked for feedback from community on presentation quality - but
open meeting probably isn't the place to do that.

We noted that EDU conflicts with other slots, once per year.

If no one shows up, they could be happy. Idea was to meet at a
non-plenary slot. Announce open meeting as last slide of each
tutorial?

Meeting is a good place to talk about plans for the future - if we get
enough participation.

Need to make sure we have a good agenda with a purpose - if we can't
do that, we shouldn't meet.

Also value as open meeting of the EDU team where WE talk about stuff.

- Planning for IETF68

Normal rotation gives us one open slot - MIB class would drop out.
Would we do newcomers in "a local language", which might not be Czech?

German? We're concerned about linguistic imperialism...

Maybe we don't need a local language newcomers at IETF 68... Is there
ANY language that makes sense? Apparently not...

Jonathan Rosenberg offered to do ICE at IETF 67... probably can't do
this as part of the Sunday sessions (usually, because we don't have
room for a fourth tutorial), but don't see any reason to discourage
this.

Avri thinks that having a second offering at IETF 68 would still be a
good thing.

The DNS group wants to come back at the next Asia meeting, too soon
for XML2RFC, too controversial for routing.

Ask the community what is needed? WG chairs, or IETF list, or both?
Posting to IETF Announce and WG chairs lists makes as much sense as
anywhere, with followup to EDU-DISCUSS. We would be willing to review
the presentation, and Margaret will discuss with Jonathan on what
should happen, going forward.

- other?

Spencer has agreed to head the WG Chairs Wiki

We will not have our November first Friday meeting - see you in December!

Spencer

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team