Subject: [edu-team] writing an I-D / RFC

From: Alice Hagens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 18:08:10 -0700

EDU Team,

Margaret spoke with me a bit in Prague about bringing the content of  
the RFC Editor tutorial in line with the other training. We talked  
about there being 2 general realms of interest to authors:

(1) I-D process
Writing a draft -> IESG approval for publication as an RFC

(2) RFC Editor process
Approval of draft (or Independent Submission) -> Publication as an RFC

The focus of the current RFC Editor tutorial* is describing (2), but  
we do cover part (1) in that we include:

a. the process of an IETF submission getting to approval
    (figure from Scott's Newcomer Training).
b. the statement that a well-formed I-D is the first step to a well- 
formed RFC.
c. general tips for writing clearly.
d. overview of tools for creating an I-D.

Having reviewed the relevant slides in the WG Leadership training  
(esp. 33-51) and Newcomer training (esp. 37-44) from IETF 68, I think  
the content regarding document creation & publication is in line.   
(Donald, on slide 46, I think you can cut "RFC Editor Review" and its  
sub-bullet, as it has been several years since documents were  
reviewed by the RFC Editor during Last Call.)

Maybe there is some concern about the overlap between WG Leadership  
and the RFC Editor tutorial?

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Alice
for the RFC Editor

*slides available here: http://edu.ietf.org/editors
and here: ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc-editor/ 
tutorial.latest.pdf

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team