Subject: [edu-team] classes for ietf69 +

From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 12:28:52 -0400

Hi,

I need to finalize the list of classes.  This is what I think we have  
agreed on.
we need to finalize before before April 13th.

So far I think I have:

Set I

- Necomers - Scott or Margaret
- IPv6 - Jordi
- WG Leadership - Donald

Set II

- Security - Radia
- RFC Editor - RFC Editor
- Intro to IETF tools - Henrik, ?  (new class)

I would also need any updated descriptions for the web site by that  
time.

+ I think we have a meeting on Friday.  i will send out the details  
soon.  any one have an y agenda items?

thanks
a.

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 12:44:41 -0400

On Apr 3, 2007, at 12:28 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

> - Newcomers - Scott or Margaret

This one is all Scott's, if he is available!

> - Security - Radia

I still think it might be better to hold the DNS class, since it has  
been longer since we've done that one...  I know that the presenters  
said that they would rather wait for Asia, but with no Asia meeting  
on the horizon, do we want to ask them if they would reconsider?

It's not that I have any objection to Radia's security class, I'd  
just like to see us have more variety.  Are there other technical  
topics that IETF attendees need to know about?

Margaret

---

From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 13:30:33 -0400

>> - Security - Radia

this would be the second time in the sequence i think.

>
> I still think it might be better to hold the DNS class, since it  
> has been longer since we've done that one...  I know that the  
> presenters said that they would rather wait for Asia, but with no  
> Asia meeting on the horizon, do we want to ask them if they would  
> reconsider?

i was thinking we would try to plan that for Vancouver.

a.

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 14:55:39 -0400

> this would be the second time in the sequence i think.

Sorry, I may be off by one.

> i was thinking we would try to plan that for Vancouver.

This sounds like a good plan.

Margaret

---

From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 16:15:25 -0400

> Sorry, I may be off by one.

it looks like it is me that is off.

a.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 10:43:59 +0200

> soon.  any one have an y agenda items?

That's a public holiday here... apologies.

    Brian

---

From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 11:54:53 +0300

For me is not the issue of the holiday, as I never take them, but one more
Friday traveling back to home ...

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
> Organización: IBM
> Responder a: <[email-masked]>
> Fecha: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 10:43:59 +0200
> Para: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
> CC: Eastlake III Donald-LDE008 <[email-masked]>, EDU Team
> <[email-masked]>, Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
> Asunto: Re: [edu-team] classes for ietf69 +
> 
> 

**********************************************
The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !
http://www.ipv6day.org

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, including attached files, is prohibited.

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 11:50:40 +0200

> That's a public holiday here... apologies.

Thanks for reminding me, Brian. I am afraid I won't be near a
phone on Friday. Sorry.

Mirjam

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 10:46:24 -0400

Thanks for the reminder, Brian.  While it isn't a full holiday here,  
the kids will be out of school, so I won't be available.  I'm also  
away on vacation the entire next week.

Avri, can we wait until May 4th?  Or do we want to try to do  
something Thursday (tomorrow) if people are available?

Margaret

On Apr 4, 2007, at 4:43 AM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

>
>> + I think we have a meeting on Friday.  i will send out the  
>> details soon.  any one have an y agenda items?
>

---

From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 10:58:28 -0400

Hi,

it seems a bad idea to have a meeting on a major holiday.  so i think  
it should be cancelled postponed.

which? if postponed: next mtg - 13 April,
        if  cancelled: next = 4 May

in the meantime: we need a decision on the course schedule for 69:

I think there are three alternatives without creating a new class:

DNS they could do Chicago and Vancouver (which is almost Asia - is  
certainly pacific rim), which seems as close as we are going to get  
to Asia for a while (very USan we are of late).

- another alternative is that i do have Elwyn's willingness to do  
xml2rfc, this could be in a sequence with  Intro to tools.  We have  
never had Elwyn teach it, and i would like to see how it goes.  I  
would also like to get a few people interested in turning it into an  
online course to attend.  Might even think about getting it video, or  
at least audio, recorded somehow.

- and we could bring the routing and bridging back into the  
rotation.  At this point when there is a fire fighting exercise in  
the routing area looking for the right solution to what may, or may  
not, be a serious, or not so serious, problem  - some basic education  
on routing could be useful.  not sure if this requires the same  
course Radia has created or a new one directed specifically at IDR.   
Tony Li, now co-chair of the IRTF RRG, had offered to give a routing  
tutorial at some point.

Other thoughts?

Also, I need to ask our new General Area AD if he wants to be  
subscribed to this list.

a.

---

From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 10:58:59 -0400

> something Thursday (tomorrow) if people are available?

i just sent a message.  i am fine with May 4.  I can do this Thursday.

but we need to resolve the class schedule for Chicago.

a.

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 11:05:17 -0400

Hi Avri,

On Apr 4, 2007, at 10:58 AM, Avri Doria wrote:

> Hi,
>
> it seems a bad idea to have a meeting on a major holiday.  so i  
> think it should be cancelled postponed.
>

If you have the meeting on 13 April, I won't be able to attend, but I  
have no problem with the rest of you holding a meeting without me.

I'd like to see DNS come back, but it might also work to have them  
start in Vancouver.

It might also be interesting to have Tony Li do a routing tutorial,  
as I think he'd probably present a different angle on the routing  
topic than we've had before.  So, if he is willing to prepare  
something by Chicago, that would be good.  Or we could have him start  
in Vancouver, when I think IPv6 will be due to drop off for a while.   
Either way is fine with me.

I would prefer not to see XML2RFC done again, until we have some time  
to consider how/if it relates to the RFC editor class and additional  
tools coverage.

Margaret

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 09:38:08 +0200

On 2007-04-04 16:58, Avri Doria wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> it seems a bad idea to have a meeting on a major holiday.  so i think it 
> should be cancelled postponed.
> 

OK for me

>        if  cancelled: next = 4 May

Doubtful for me. I have to catch a plane a little bit later.

> certainly pacific rim), which seems as close as we are going to get to 
> Asia for a while (very USan we are of late).
> 
> never had Elwyn teach it, and i would like to see how it goes.  I would 
> also like to get a few people interested in turning it into an online 
> course to attend.  Might even think about getting it video, or at least 
> audio, recorded somehow.
> 
> - and we could bring the routing and bridging back into the rotation.  
> At this point when there is a fire fighting exercise in the routing area 
> looking for the right solution to what may, or may not, be a serious, or 
> not so serious, problem  - some basic education on routing could be 
> useful.  not sure if this requires the same course Radia has created or 
> a new one directed specifically at IDR.  Tony Li, now co-chair of the 
> IRTF RRG, had offered to give a routing tutorial at some point.

I think IDR basics (including some economics as well as technics) would
be valuable. Tony has very strong views though, and would use it as a
platform - we might need some way to counterbalance that.

     Brian
> 
> Other thoughts?
> 
> Also, I need to ask our new General Area AD if he wants to be subscribed 
> to this list.
> 
> a.
>

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott O. Bradner)
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 08:54:23 -0400 (EDT)

I can do the Necomers

Scott

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 16:13:24 +0200

Avri,

I can make 13 April, but not 4 May.

Mirjam

---

From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 12:24:23 -0400

status update:

On 4 apr 2007, at 10.58, Avri Doria wrote:

> DNS

they would prefer to wait until Vancouver

> xml2rfc,

there is interest in looking at a reorientation of the RFC editor  
class, WG leadership and xml2rfc before giving this class again

> - and we could bring the routing and bridging back into the rotation.

remains an open possibility

> IDR

Tony is not available.  we could ask someone else.

a.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 13:44:02 +0200

On 2007-04-05 18:24, Avri Doria wrote:
> there is interest in looking at a reorientation of the RFC editor class, 
> WG leadership and xml2rfc before giving this class again
> 
>>

Geoff Huston, if he's planning to be in Chicago?

     Brian

---

From: "Eastlake III Donald-LDE008" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 13:49:11 -0400

Hi Avri,

I've done the trivial update to the WG Leadership slide deck date, etc.,
for Chicago and will update draft version numbers referenced in it,
etc., as the meeting gets closer... Any other feedback from having given
the slides? :-)

Thanks,
Donald

-----Original Message-----
From: Avri Doria [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 12:29 PM
To: EDU Team
Cc: Eastlake III Donald-LDE008; Henrik Levkowetz
Subject: classes for ietf69 +

Hi,

So far I think I have:

Set I

Set II

- Security - Radia

thanks
a.