Subject: [edu-team] Edu material in Quebec

From: Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 15:34:21 +0100

Hi,

The Routing Tutorial has become a valuable repeat performance as part of the Edu
stream.

Over time the content of what constitutes routing has grown. In particular, BFD
has become an important element. Over the last few months, it has become
apparent that a large chunk of the community has some difficulty fully
understanding BFD.

Dave (who sort of witnessed some of this confusion) has offered to provide a BFD
tutorial if there is space and interest.

Cheers,
Adrian

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 09:51:45 -0700

Isn't BFD a really simple thing?  Is there 90 minutes of stuff to say about it?

I could imagine a "quick overview of lots of things" tutorial, putting
all these various alphabet soup of protocols in perspective...what
they are, what subtle design issues there might have been, what it
might mean to people who are in different layers. Probably most of
things of that type could be overviewed in 5 minutes each. But I can't
imagine having a whole tutorial on just BFD, unless I'm missing
something.

I also think it would be great to use 15 minutes of the area meetings
(e.g., routing area meeting), that does give an overview of the area,
so that people who haven't been following the area can catch a general
idea of the area by sitting through those 15 minutes.

Radia

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 7:34 AM, Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team
>

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 11:38:16 +0200

Hi Adrian, Hi Dave,

Thanks for offering! I am afraid for IETF 81 we already decided which 
tutorials to provide (the secretariat wanted to include them when 
opening registration).

Would it be OK to postpone this until IETF 82? If you think it is more 
urgent, we could try to replace one of the IETF 81 tutorials with this 
one? What do others think?

Regards,
Mirjam

---

From: Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 11:11:42 +0100

Hi,

As Radia says, a BFD tutorial would not be a multi-hour event.

On the other hand, it was clear at a recent ITU-T meeting that a large number of
"experts" in this space do not fully grok the protocol, so it is quite likely
that a larger number of people around the fringe of routing also don't get it.

I see that the Routing tutorial is not on the agenda this time around and don't
propose that the Edu Team should change their plans.

I will research further and, if there is demand, *might* consider a short
tutorial in the Routing Area Open Meeting.

Adrian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Mirjam Kuehne [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 06 May 2011 10:38
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]; 'David Ward'; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [edu-team] Edu material in Quebec
> 
> Hi Adrian, Hi Dave,
>

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 12:20:52 +0200

Hi Adrian,

We might be able to offer five tutorials (we did last time).

If you want to do this as a tutorial on Sunday and if others on the 
edu-team agree, I can try to convince the secretariat to give us another 
slot/room and to add this to the agenda.

Mirjam

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 11:18:07 +0200

Thanks for your feedback, Radia.

Adrian, maybe for this time, it could be presented in the routing area 
meeting as you suggested earlier? And then we could possibly include it 
in the Sunday Routing Tutorial in the future (maybe as a guest speaker?)

Kind Regards,
Mirjam