Subject: [edu-team] Overview of IETF Areas

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 00:10:49 +0100

Hi Jari,

We, the Edu Team, need your help:

We are trying to develop a series of tutorials describing the various 
IETF areas on a fairly high level so that people understand what the 
different WGs do, how they are related, what the current issues are etc. 
We think this would be useful and would help cross-fertilisation and 
cooperation.

The RAI area was the first one that volunteered and put such a tutorial 
together. Adam Roach presented it here in Vancouver for the second time, 
and it was quite a success (the recording will be on the IETF site shortly).

Unfortunately other areas seem to be a little hesitant to put together 
such a tutorial. So far we tried it via the area directors who are of 
course very busy. But obviously they don't have to develop the material 
themselves as long as they "appoint" some people active in the area the 
Edu Team can work with.

If you think this is a good idea, could you maybe bring this up at an 
IESG meeting or try to convince individual are directors to follow the 
good example of the RAI area? If you would like to suggest another 
approach, we are of course also open to that.

Thank you,
Mirjam Kuehne

---

From: "Bradner, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 23:14:47 +0000

is there a pointer to the "good example of the RAI area”?

Scott

On Nov 5, 2013, at 6:10 PM, Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]> wrote:

> We are trying to develop a series of tutorials describing the various IETF areas on a fairly high level so that people understand what the different WGs do, how they are related, what the current issues are etc. We think this would be useful and would help cross-fertilisation and cooperation.
> 
> The RAI area was the first one that volunteered and put such a tutorial together. Adam Roach presented it here in Vancouver for the second time, and it was quite a success (the recording will be on the IETF site shortly).
> 
> Unfortunately other areas seem to be a little hesitant to put together such a tutorial. So far we tried it via the area directors who are of course very busy. But obviously they don't have to develop the material themselves as long as they "appoint" some people active in the area the Edu Team can work with.
> 
> If you think this is a good idea, could you maybe bring this up at an IESG meeting or try to convince individual are directors to follow the good example of the RAI area? If you would like to suggest another approach, we are of course also open to that.
> 
> Thank you,
> Mirjam Kuehne
> 
> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 00:21:03 +0100

> is there a pointer to the "good example of the RAI area”?

The slides and a short description are here:

http://www.ietf.org/meeting/88/tutorials/intro-rai-area.html

The recording will also show up on that page.

Mirjam

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 13:59:53 +1300

>From a conversation we had in the Ops Area meeting today,
I think there is good hope (and a volunteer) for an Ops Area
overview as the next domino to fall. But Mirjam is right, we really
need all areas on board. One argument is that if all seven areas
play, it will only mean an effort once every 28 months, i.e.
actually at most once for each AD's term of office.

Regards
   Brian

On 06/11/2013 12:10, Mirjam Kuehne wrote:
> .

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 02:17:42 +0100

Hi Brian,

Sorry if I misunderstood: I thought we had a volunteer for the AAA 
tutorial for IETF 89. Do we also have one for developing an OPS Area 
Overview tutorial?

Regarding the frequncy of such tutorials, we could possibly fit two 
areas in one slot. At least for some of the areas that might work.

Mirjam

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 14:33:43 +1300

Yes, Lee Howard <[email-masked]>, perhaps well hidden
in the email that I forwarded. Not a commitment yet, just a volunteer,
and I would guess we wouldn't want to do it in London as well as AAA.
But maybe in Honolulu?

It was [email-masked] who confirmed for AAA in London.

Regards
   Brian

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 02:35:23 +0100

Ah, Ok. Thanks for clarifying.

Mirjam