Subject: [edu-team] Edu Team Meeting Minutes - 4 November 2013

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 16:03:31 +0100

Hi,

Sorry it took some time, but here are some notes I took during our 
meeting in Vancouver.

Mirjam
=======

Edu Team Meeting minutes - 4 November 2013
Present: Avri, Thomas, Brian, Radia, Alice, Stephanie, Alexa, Mirjam

Agenda:
- Plans for tutorials for next IETF Meetings
   - review current list of tutorials
   - series of OPS related tutorials
   - series of IETF Technical Area overviews
- Remote participation
    - recordings
    - online tutorials (collaboration with ISOC?)
- Interactions with the Secretariat
- ISOC's university outreach programme

Do we need more volunteers?
----------------------------------------
We can search for more people and suggest them to Jari.
This group is chartered under the EITF chair, so Jari can make the 
decision in the end.
We can also look for external subject matter experts to review slides, 
they don't necessarily have to join the team permanenlty.

Do we need more PR?
------------------------------
Many people are not aware of the Edu Team and how the Sunday tutorials 
are developed.
- Should we send out mail to the ietf list from time to time? (or maybe 
better to ietf announce?)
- Maybe put a link to the Edu Team and how to participate on the IETF 
web site permanently? But where?

- Should we send more targeted mails to people in certain areas or to WG 
chair list to encourage more feeback and suggestions? (What do they need 
for their work as WG chair?)
- Mirjam to make announcement at the beginning of the WG chair lunch 
(done, but maybe better send mail with pointers?)

- We could also send a mail after the tutorials to ask for feedback 
(e.g. Alice could send mail to tool-discuss, but not every tutorial 
topic has an obvious list)

- Remember to send Brian's document to speakers before the tutorials!
   - Alice made some suggestion what could be added to Brian's document 
(ask her for details)

The RAI tutorial worked out well and Brian asked at the end if people 
found this useful. They said yes. Let's try to get more area tutorials. 
Adam Roach could make a list of things that made his tutorial 
successful. That might help to get others to do the same.

- Mirjam to write a short report about the successes of the RAI 
tutorial, pass it on to Jari and ask him to send it to the IESG (done, 
need to follow-up. In the meantime found two other areas that 
volunteered: APP and OPS)

Mission & Purpose of Edu Team
-------------------------------------------
The original purpose of Edu Team was to help to make the IETF work 
better.  This still is the purpose today
What fits the mission:
- Process related tutorials
- Area overview tutorials
- Tutorials on specific technical topics need to be much more vetted in 
order to fit in that mission (they need to be specifically targeted 
towards IETF participants and protocol developers)

What are the things in the IETF that could be improved?
What works well, what doesn't?
One area we identified that needs improvement is the role of WG chairs:
WG chairs tutorial should be given more often (how to build consensus, 
how to deal with bullies, how to really manage a group, making work 
plans, time lines etc. how to send summaries to WG mailing lists)
- We need to review or rewrite current WG chairs slides (any volunteers?)
- Maybe we could also work on a short handbook or guidelines for 
existing and potential WG chairs that could be made available on the 
IETF web site.
   - What is the role of a WG chair?
   - What are their responsibilities?
   - what are concrete tricks and actions.
Should we set up a team to work on that? From inside and outside Edu 
Team? Volunteers?
Mirjam to look at document RIPE NCC developed for RIPE WG chairs. ripe-541?
- What are the common frustrations inside the IETF? How can we find this 
out? Send out surveys?
   - build that on the mailing list (follow-up on Brian's suggested 
survey)

Can we re-use some of the WG chairs lunch topics into tutorials? E.g. 
Alissa's privacy tutorial?
For WG Chairs lunch at IETF 89:
- Pete Resnick on Consensus? (In the meantime agreed with Pete)

- Should we relabel the Newcomers to also attract others, not just 
newcomers?
- but no, we need to make sure newcomers go to it

- Mirjam  to send the list of tutorials to the list. What is still 
current? What can we re-use? What needs to be reviewed? (done)
- Make that spreadsheet also available on the Edu Team wiki

Remote participation
---------------------------
- Suggested to make sure that meetecho and speaker meet 10 min before 
tutorial starts to make sure everything works well.
- Set up jabber rooms for the tutorials?
- At least one edu team member should be there to monitor jabber and 
make sure everything works well. Need to agree before each meeting.

Alice will compile a list from earlier IETF surveys (done. Thanks, Alice)

It was also suggested to partner speakers with others, it is easier to 
do it with two people.