Subject: [edu-team] Additional material for newcomer's brief

From: Michael StJohns <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 14:21:02 -0400

I'm going to add 2 slides (well 3 with a title slide) to the briefing as 
a post fix - basically a quick introduction on how to get on the network 
and how to get on jabber.  I'm thinking that we should make a printed 
handout on these topics available with more detail that would generally 
go into the slides.

(This is in response to a few comments received after the last brief).

Mike

Getting Started
Networking and Jabber

Networking
The IETF runs its own network, and generally takes over the conference 
hotel’s wired and wireless network for the duration
Generally up by early Sunday and down around Noon Friday
Look for SIDs: “ietf”, “ietf-hotel” and other variants with “ietf” in 
the name.
Secure networks use Userid: “ietf” and password “ietf”
Generally WPA2-Enterprise security mode.
There’s also a terminal room with no terminals, but with printers and 
wired connectivity – AND PEOPLE WHO CAN HELP!

Jabber
The IETF uses eXtensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) to host 
a number of chat rooms during the IETF meeting.
Step 1: Get a client: http://xmpp.org/software/clients.html
Step 2: Register an account: https://xmpp.net/directory.php
Step 3: Join a chat room: (usually is ->)<wgname>@jabber.ietf.org
Used to ask questions and provide a hint of where the discussion is at 
on slides for audio remote listeners.