Subject: [edu-team] Minutes of Edu & Mentoring Team on 22 February 2017

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 10:53:04 +0100

Hi all,

Here are the minutes of our call on 22 February 2017. Please let me know
if you have any additions or corrections. Please note some ACTION points
throughout the minutes.

I'll also post them on the wiki.

Kind regards,
Mirjam
=======

Edu Team Call - 22 February 2017

Present: Greg, Karen, Jari, Toral, Naveen, Nalini, Alexa, Alissa, Mirjam

Agenda:
1. Establishment of the Directorate
2. Various Directorate Projects
3. Planning for IETF in Chicago
   - tutorials
   - schedule a face-to-face meeting

1. Establishment of the Directorate
See new wiki pages: https://trac.ietf.org/trac/edu/wiki

Earlier this week Karen contacted Jari and Alissa. They said that they
would like to see a plan that focuses a bit more on the emerging
projects rather than only the existing ones so we can send out a call
for participation.

Jari had three comments about the current directorate document:
a) We need to include a concrete call for people who want to help.
b) In the current directorate document, some projects are missing, for
instance those run by the Secretariat, especially those related to
Newcomers. Suggested to add those to the document.
c) When looking at the directorate membership, he suggested to make all
project leads also members of the directorate. At the moment it is not
entirely clear where the actual divide is between the project work such
as tutorials, mentorship etc. and the actual directorate.

Regarding the first point, Karen said she believes we need to go out and
find individuals directly. An open call for help will probably not be
enough. Regarding the second point, Karen agreed that we should
definitely include Alexa as a directorate member and add the relevant
projects.
Regarding the third point, Karen said we might need Jari’s help and
input to define this better.

Jari clarified that he doesn’t expect us to completely re-write the
document (“don’t over-design this”). The directorate should be an
overarching group that needs to meet from time to time, but the actual
work is done in the projects.

2. Individual Projects

2.1. Tutorials for IETF 98 (Mirjam)
Mirjam quickly goes through the list of planned tutorials for IETF 98

12:30:
- Newcomers (Mike St.Johns)
- Independent Stream (Nevile Brownlee)

13:45:
- Security Considerations (Chris Inacio)
- IRFT Overview (Allison Mankin)

15:00:
- QUIC (Ian Swett, Jana Iyengar)

Others on the call said they liked the line-up and stressed that
recording the sessions is important.
Karen added that the DPRIVE tutorial that was held last time, was very
well received and that the recording was very nice. We would like to see
that level of quality going forward.

ACTION: Karen and Mirjam to get back to the speakers to confirm time
slots and availability.
ACTION: Naveen to contact speakers for short descriptions (Thanks, Naveen!)

2.2. Online Learning Library
Greg suggested we should start with that project already and not wait
until the web site is ready.
Karen said we need to make it a priority in Chicago to find people to
help with that particular project. Even though the project currently
lists Karen as the project leader, she would not like to be a lead for that.

2.3. Mentoring (Nalini)
Nalini reported that the mentoring activities are going well and are
pretty stable.
People are now starting to sign up for individual mentoring. Nalini and
Alexa will work on that in the background.
Nalini further said that the new tutorial schedule works really well.

2.4. Assessment Metrics and Measurements
The goal for this project is to find out what how effective our
activities are. We want to revisit that regularly and adjust accordingly.
For the Edu Team we’ve done individual surveys after each tutorial. That
worked very well in Berlin, not so much in Seoul, because we didn’t get
the survey links out to the speakers early enough. But overall, we’re
doing a better job in collecting this information.
After Chicago we will have a couple of IETFs worth of survey information
that we can review and then determine what works and what doesn’t work.

Alissa asked if we do any kinds of tracking of the people in the
Newcomers tutorial, Mentoring etc. Are people coming back, are they
participate repeatedly?

Nalini said that so far she has been doing this on an ad hoc basis, more
anecdotal (by recognising people). But she agreed that it would be
helpful to have such data available.
Karen was wondering if Alissa was referring to tracking mentors or mentees?
Alissa clarified that she was referring to both plus the tutorial
participants. She agreed that the surveys are useful. But it would also
be good to know how many people participate or if those who participate
come back. How does this translate in general participation into the IETF?

Karen said it can be difficult to define successful interaction with a
newcomers. Who is successful? Someone who writes Internet-Drafts or
RFCs? Someone who participates on a mailing list? Someone who attend
three out of five meetings?
Karen has been talking to Alexa and Nalini to keep better track of
mentors and mentees in the future.
Nalini mentioned that she and Vinayak are working on a proposal to look
into that (Nalini, is this the ID you were referring to:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-elkins-mentor/ ?)

Jari cautioned the team not to shoot for perfection. It would be a great
start to have something and then to improve later.

Karen agreed and said that having the surveys results are the first step
and that we want to make incremental changes going forward. This needs
to be discussed further and also needs a project lead. So far nobody has
volunteered yet.

Toral suggested to also look at some of the metrics ISOC has been using
for the technical fellow to the IETF.

ACTION: All to send comments for the IETF 98 surveys to Alexa before 3
March.

Greg suggested to have a more detailed discussion for this particular
directorate project. There might be other ways to measure these activities.

2.5. Edu Team Online Content Assessment and Reorganisation

Greg sent a mail to the list prior to the meeting (see below in the
Appendix). There are three items he would like to discuss:

a) restructuring of current content
The main input needed from the Edu and the Mentoring team is that the
information is presented appropriately on the new web site. There will
also be tests and interviews with the target audience, such as the
Newcomers.

b) ongoing document maintenance  (see below under 2.7)

c) The third item listed in Greg’s e-mail was curating the videos in the
future. The quality of some of the older videos wasn’t great.

2.6. WG Chairs  Forum (Karen)
Some meetings ago we changed the format from presentation to open
discussion which was pretty successful. In general the WG chairs forum
is now an integral part of the meeting and will have to be planned
properly, including remote participation facilities.

Karen would like to find a co-chair. She asked during the last WG Chairs
session, but didn’t get any response.
Mirjam offered to help as this will also provide her with feedback for
potential tutorial topics. Karen said it would be good to find someone new.
Alissa suggested that reaching out to an individual might be more
successful than an open call.
Karen said she already has someone in mind. It is a well-defined task
and people will understand what is involved.

2.7. Ongoing Document Maintenance (Greg)

Greg would like to understand who will be maintaining each of the
documents listed in his email. Starting with these two: TAO (Paul
Hoffman was maintaining in the past) and the “Getting Started in the
IETF” web page (Brian Carpenter used to be maintaining this page).

It was decided not to discuss this during this call. Instead we need to
define specific job descriptions such as “Editor of the TAO”,
“Maintainer of the Getting Started web pages” so we can find volunteers
to do these jobs.
Jari said he liked this approach: small, specific projects that
individuals can then volunteer to take on.
Greg said he would happy to help find people to maintain these documents.

2.8. Potential Future Projects:

a) Hubs
- Remote hubs (collection of people that gather together to participate
in the IETF meeting remotely) - Christian O’Flaherty is involved in that
- Community hubs - similar thing, but not necessarily in parallel with
an IETF meeting (Alia Atlas is heavily involved in this)
Both projects are coming along nicely, at some point we might have to
define them more closely (expectations, how to participate etc.).
Shouldn’t be a heavy-weight process though.
It was suggested to better document these projects in the directorate
document.

Greg thought this is more related to remote participation activities,
and not necessarily within the scope of the Education or Mentoring Teams.

Nalini said this could be part of outreach activities of the
Directorate. She mentioned the V-Meet activities and suggested to make
this a BoF or WG?

Jari said it is not obvious to that this is within the mission of this
particular gathering. It is great that many people are thinking about
this, but it is not clear that this is part of the defined scope of the
Education & Mentoring Directorate. Yes, these efforts need a home, but
it is not clear that this the right one.

Karen clarified why these projects made it into the document: The team
had a discussion earlier if outreach is actually part of this
directorate or not. All these efforts take resources.

Alissa agreed with both, Jari and Karen. Remote hubs are more related to
people having increasing difficulties with travel. This doesn’t really
have anything to do with education or outreach and is therefore probably
outside the scope for this group. She agreed that these efforts need to
be coordinated. They need to live somewhere, but probably not here.

Nalini said that she and Alia and Christian will have a meeting in
Chicago. Nalini will update Alissa offline.
Alissa asked if Christian is involved in all the remote hubs or only
those in Latin America.
Nalini responded that they would first like to define the overall
structure, and then go into the details for the different regions etc.

Karen clarified how Christian got involved and stressed that it is
important to clarify the expectations for the IETF.
She suggested to keep the remote hubs project in the document for now
until it has found another home. It would be a shame if they would get
dropped.

b) Internet Research Labs
Nalini said she wrote a draft about this and recommended everyone to
look at it. This activity is mostly driven by people in India. They
might want to come up with a test lab for DRIPE by Chicago. But the
whole activity is still very experimental.

3. IETF in Chicago
We would love to organise a face-to-face breakfast meeting again. Jari
said breakfast meetings are a little difficult, but doesn’t know the
exact schedule yet. Thursday morning would be a possibility.
ACTION: Karen to send a doodle poll to the list

Near term priorities and action points:

a) Finalise the list of tutorials for IETF 98:
ACTION: Karen and Mirjam to get back to the speakers to confirm time
slots and availability.
ACTION: Naveen to contact speakers for short descriptions (Thanks, Naveen!)

b) Survey questions for IETF 98
ACTION: All to review current survey questions and send updates to Alexa
by 3 March

c) Figure out how to get additional support
Alissa added that there will be a number of people who are stepping down
 from IETF leadership positions who might be willing to take on other tasks.

AOB:

The Datatracker:
Henrik said it would be useful to have a list of issues we experience
with the current system and process.
Mirjam said that it is also a matter of training those in the team how
to use the datatracker. One problem is that the Edu Team or the
tutorials are not handled the same way as a WG.

It was decided to set up a separate call for this. In preparation for
that we will put together such a list of items we would like to have
solved. The main goal is to have the tutorial details accessible from
the agenda and also in the proceedings.

—------------

Appendix: Mail sent by Greg on 22 February 2017

Subject: Re: [edu-team] education and mentoring meeting: Wed, 22 Feb
2017, Re: education and mentoring update, doodle poll request
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 10:37:21 -0500
From: Greg Wood <[email-masked]>
To: EDU Team <[email-masked]>, Toral Cowieson <[email-masked]>,
Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>

Hello everyone,

I’m looking forward to speaking with everyone shortly. A few updates in
advance following up on Karen’s intro email:

1) website revamp project update
A quick update: We’re working with the developer to address some issues
that need fixing before we begin community review. We ran into delays
finishing CMS template refinement, but based on updates this week so
far, I’m hopeful we are now making further progress. As soon as the
revamped website is in shape to undertake meaningful review, I will look
to schedule time with the E&M team/directorate.

2) EDU materials (non-Tutorial videos) discussion request
I shared this spreadsheet previously, which aims to create a list of key
EDU-related materials, and identify an “editor” for each:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/124ML7VnXXSIiZ3xOOucvdrS1rer09BoWlxZYReHaygU/edit#gid=0

On the call today, I’d love to discuss this. Perhaps we could use as a
test case figuring out who will serve as editors for “the Tao of the
IETF” and "Getting Started in the IETF"

3) Tutorial videos confirmation
I’d like to confirm the approach to tutorials on the website and how
those will be curated going forward.
I believe we discussed the following approach to having the tutorial
videos online:

a) All the videos would be available via the IETF YouTube channel
There’s a start of a playlist here, (which needs to be updated)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC86T-6ZTP5h-3SH1WlefnV9qdbWfQJ3I

b) Key “current” tutorials would be available on the revamped IETF
website as two lists:
	i) Technical tutorials
	ii) Process tutorials.

c) Key current tutorials would be linked into other pages of the
revamped website

For example, the recent INT area tutorial
https://youtu.be/vjsKfnQX3no)

will be linked to the INT Area webpage.

-Greg

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team