Subject: [eman] News from the IESG

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 19:23:52 +0200

Good ones actually - the IESG approved in the telechat today to send the
proposed charter for eman (with some edits) to external IETF review. 

The main edits (there are a couple of editorial things also) are in
section 2. Some of the IESG members were concerned buy the fact that the
framework seemed to broad and was not clear enough that the focus of the
work is on IP-networks devices. It was also mentioned that the case of
low resourced and lossy networks devices is not explicitly mentioned. So
you will see text improvements addressing these issues. They are not
spectacular, they seem to me to be in the spirit of what you are already
doing, so I hope that you can accommodate all these. 

There was also a question whether the WG is interested to update the UPS
MIB (RFC 1628) or to discuss its transition to Historical. Please
address this - it would be possibly within the scope, but you need of
course willing resources for this. 

You should see the external review announcement soon. 

Regards,

Dan

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 16:08:24 +0200

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the good news.
> doing, so I hope that you can accommodate all these.
That makes sense.

Regards, Benoit.
> _______________________________________________
> eman mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman

---

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 15:39:20 +0000

Dear all,

As Dan reported, the IESG has approved to send the eman
charter proposal to external review.

In order to help everyone on this list to follow the
discussion, please find the proposal submitted to the
IESG at the end of this message. Please note that the
IESG will apply some modifications before sending it.

Best regards,

    Juergen

========================
Energy Management (EMAN)
 
Description of Working Group
 
Energy management is becoming an additional requirement for network
management systems due to several factors including the rising and
fluctuating energy costs, the increased awareness of the ecological impact
of operating networks and devices, and the regulation of governments on
energy consumption and production.
 
The basic objective of energy management is operating communication
networks and other equipments with a minimal amount of energy while
still providing sufficient performance to meet service level
objectives. A discussion of detailed requirements has already started in the
OPSAWG, but further exploration in the EMAN WG is needed.
Today, most networking and network-attached devices neither do monitor nor
allow for control energy usage as they are mainly instrumented for functions
such as fault, configuration, accounting, performance, and security
management. These devices are not instrumented to be aware of energy
consumption. There are very little means specified in IETF documents for
energy management, which includes the areas of power monitoring, energy
monitoring, and power state control.
The OPSAWG started working on a MIB module for monitoring energy consumption
and power states of energy-aware devices and found that more than just a MIB
module was needed to manage energy in networks. Rather a new framework for
energy management needs to be developed first.
 
A particular difference between energy management and other management tasks
is that in some cases energy consumption of a device is not measured at the
device itself but reported by a different place. For example, at a Power
over Ethernet (PoE) sourcing device or at a smart power strip, in which
cases one device is effectively metering another remote device. This
requires a clear definition of the relationship between the reporting
devices and identification of remote devices for which monitoring
information is provided. Similar considerations will apply to power state
control of remote devices, for example, at a PoE sourcing device that
switches on and off power at its ports.
 
The WG will investigate existing standards such as those from the IEC, ANSI,
DMTF and others, and reuse existing work as much as possible.
The EMAN WG will work on the management of energy-aware devices, covered by
the following items :
 
1. Requirements for energy management.
The EMAN WG will develop a requirements document that will specify energy
management properties that will allow networks and devices to become energy
aware. In addition to energy awareness requirements, the need for control
functions will be discussed. Specifically the need to monitor and control
properties of devices that are remote to the reporting device should be
discussed. 
 
2. Energy management framework.
The EMAN WG will create a framework document that will describe extensions
to current management framework, required for energy management. This
includes: power and energy monitoring, power states, power state control,
and potential power state transitions. Particularly, the relationships
between reporting devices, remote devices, and monitoring probes need to be
elaborated. For the case of a device reporting on behalf of other devices
and controlling those devices, the framework will address the issues of
discovery and identification of remote devices.
 
3. Energy-aware Networks and Devices MIB document
The EMAN WG will develop a MIB module for monitoring energy-aware networks
and devices. The module will address devices identification, context
information, and potential relationship between reporting devices, remote
devices, and monitoring probes.
 
4. Power and Energy Monitoring MIB document
The EMAN WG will develop a document defining managed objects for monitoring
of power states and energy consumption/production. The monitoring of power
states includes: retrieving power states, properties of power states,
current power state, power state transitions, and power state statistics.
The managed objects will provide means for reporting detailed properties of
the actual energy rate (power) and of accumulated energy. Further, it will
provide information on electrical power quality.
 
5. Battery MIB document
The EMAN WG will develop a document defining managed objects for battery
monitoring, which will provide means for reporting detailed properties of
the actual charge, age, and state of a battery and of battery statistics.
 
6. Applicability statement
The EMAN WG will develop an applicability statement, describing the variety
of applications that can use the energy framework and associated MIB
modules. Potential examples are building networks, home energy gateway, etc.
Finally, the document will also discuss relationships of the framework to
other architectures and frameworks (such as smartgrid). The applicability
statement will explain the relationship between the work in this WG and the
other existing standards such as those from the IEC, ANSI, DMTF, and others.
 
Goals and Milestones
 
Dec 2010  Publish Internet draft on Energy Management Requirements
Dec 2010  Publish Internet draft on Energy Management Framework
Dec 2010  Publish Internet draft on Energy-aware Networks and Devices MIB
Dec 2010  Publish Internet draft on Power and Energy Monitoring MIB
Dec 2010  Publish Internet draft on Battery MIB
Apr 2011  Publish Internet draft on Energy Management Applicability
May 2011  Submit Internet draft on Energy Management Requirements
           for publication as Informational RFC
Sep 2011  Submit Internet draft on Energy Management Framework
           for publication as Informational RFC
Sep 2011  Submit Internet draft on Energy-aware Networks and Devices MIB
           for publication as Standard Track RFC
Sep 2011  Submit Internet draft on Power and Energy Monitoring MIB
           for publication as Standard Track RFC
Sep 2011  Submit Internet draft on Battery MIB
           for publication as Standard Track RFC
Dec 2011  Submit Internet draft on Energy Management Applicability
           for publication as Informational RFC

---

From: Jon Saperia <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 11:59:33 -0400

Juergen,

This is interesting, but one group that you may want to consider including in your list is NISTs, Smart Grid Interoperability Panel.  This group will not be developing standards, but will be reviewing existing standards, some of which are directly related to topics in the charter posted below.  These will then will then become government recommendations.  As you probably know, Fred Baker has been coordinating IETF interaction with SGIP.  

Thanks,

Jon Saperia
JDS Management Software, Inc.
[email-masked]
(office) 978-461-0249
(mobil) 617-201-2655