Subject: [eman] Two new draft versions: mib and architecture

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 11:30:38 +0200

Dear all,

Two new drafts have been posted:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-claise-energy-monitoring-mib-05
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-claise-power-management-arch-01

_About the MIB:_
- Instead of duplicating all definitions, we now refer to a single 
document, the architecture document
- All architectural concepts have been moved to the architecture draft.
- renamed what we called "user defined power level" to "manufacturer 
power level", as those power levels are not set by the user, by imposed 
by the manufacturer ... in case the devices don't support (yet) the 
standardized power levels.
- while prototyping this MIB, we discovered a problem with the MIB design.
The pmPowerLevelTable, which returns the max power per level, was 
indexed by the pmIndex, the pmPowerLevelIndex, and the 
pmUserDefinedPowerLevel.
This implied that if we would have to repeat the same max power 
reporting for each pmIndex/power level/manufacturer power level, even if 
the device type (hence the manufacturer power levels) were the same.
What we did
     1. add pmManufacturerMappingId in the pmTable, which acts as a 
pointer to the manufacturer mapping table.
     2. add a mapping table, pmPowerLevelMappingTable, indexed by 
pmManufacturerMappingId, pmPowerLevelIndex, and 
pmManufacturerDefinedPowerLevel
     3. remove the third index pmUserDefinedPowerLevel from the 
pmPowerLevelTable
For a 10 ports switch, with, one each port, a manufactured device of the 
same type (i.e. same manufactured power leve), and 15 power levels per 
manufactured devices, we would go from 3600 OIDs with the MIB v4, to 610 
OIDs with the MIB v5
- Added the notion of pmPowerLevel versus pmPowerActualLevel:
     We set the Power Level pmPowerLevel MIB, but the Power Monitor will 
transition to pmPowerActualLevel when he finished his tasks.
     Note: the transition states will have to be specified
- the number of variables in the pmTable has been growing with new 
additions along the draft versions.
We grouped logically all entries in this table.
- explained the pmDemandEnergyParametersIntervalMode with some text in 
section 5.8
- "Each Power Monitor MUST be a member of a Power Monitor Meter"
- multiple clarification in the SNMP object description
- add two new scenarios:
      "Building Gateway Device"
     "Switch with PDU"

_About the architecture:_
- Clearly in line with MIB version 5 in terms of definitions, new table, 
etc...
Note: With the MIB v4, there was some overlap between the arch and MIB 
drafts
- Clarified the scope of this architecture, for example wrt to the CO2 
emission

Regards, John, Brad, Mouli & Benoit.