Subject: [eman] WG Action: Energy Management (eman)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 09:27:22 -0700 (PDT)

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Operations and Management
Area.  For additional information, please contact the Area Directors or
the WG Chairs.

Energy Management (eman)
---------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs: 
  Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
  Bruce Nordman <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Directors:
  Ronald Bonica <[email-masked]>
  Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Advisor:
  Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
  General Discussion: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/eman

Description of Working Group

Energy management is becoming an additional requirement for network
management systems due to several factors including the rising and
fluctuating energy costs, the increased awareness of the ecological
impact of operating networks and devices, and the regulation of
governments on energy consumption and production.

The basic objective of energy management is operating communication
networks and other equipments with a minimal amount of energy while
still providing sufficient performance to meet service level objectives.
A discussion of detailed requirements has already started in the OPSAWG,
but further exploration in the EMAN WG is needed.
Today, most networking and network-attached devices neither monitor nor
allow control energy usage as they are mainly instrumented for functions
such as fault, configuration, accounting, performance, and security
management. These devices are not instrumented to be aware of energy
consumption. There are very few means specified in IETF documents for
energy management, which includes the areas of power monitoring, energy
monitoring, and power state control.
The OPSAWG started working on a MIB module for monitoring energy
consumption and power states of energy-aware devices and found that more
than just a MIB module was needed to manage energy in networks. Rather a
new framework for energy management needs to be developed first.

A particular difference between energy management and other management
tasks is that in some cases energy consumption of a device is not
measured at the device itself but reported by a different place. For
example, at a Power over Ethernet (PoE) sourcing device or at a smart
power strip, in which cases one device is effectively metering another
remote device. This requires a clear definition of the relationship
between the reporting devices and identification of remote devices for
which monitoring information is provided. Similar considerations will
apply to power state control of remote devices, for example, at a PoE
sourcing device that switches on and off power at its ports. Another
example scenario for energy management is a gateway to low resourced and
lossy network devices in wireless a building network. Here the energy
management system talks directly to the gateway but not necessarily to
other devices in the building network.

The WG will investigate existing standards such as those from the IEC,
ANSI, DMTF and others, and reuse existing work as much as possible.
The EMAN WG will work on the management of energy-aware devices, Covered
by the following items:

1. Requirements for energy management.
The EMAN WG will develop a requirements document that will specify
energy management properties that will allow networks and devices to
become energy aware. In addition to energy awareness requirements, the
need for control functions will be discussed. Specifically the need to
monitor and control properties of devices that are remote to the
reporting device should be discussed.

2. Energy management framework.
The EMAN WG will create a framework document that will describe
extensions to current management framework, required for energy
management. This includes: power and energy monitoring, power states,
power state control, and potential power state transitions. The
framework will focus on energy management for IP-based network equipment
(routers, switches, PCs, IP cameras, phones and the like).
Particularly, the relationships between reporting devices, remote
devices, and monitoring probes (such as might be used in low-power and
lossy networks) need to be elaborated. For the case of a device
reporting on behalf of other devices and controlling those devices, the
framework will address the issues of discovery and identification of
remote devices.

3. Energy-aware Networks and Devices MIB document The EMAN WG will
develop a MIB module for monitoring energy-aware networks and devices.
The module will address devices identification, context information, and
potential relationship between reporting devices, remote devices, and
monitoring probes.

4. Power and Energy Monitoring MIB document The EMAN WG will develop a
document defining managed objects for monitoring of power states and
energy consumption/production. The monitoring of power states includes:
retrieving power states, properties of power states, current power
state, power state transitions, and power state statistics.
The managed objects will provide means for reporting detailed properties
of the actual energy rate (power) and of accumulated energy. Further, it
will provide information on electrical power quality.

5. Battery MIB document
The EMAN WG will develop a document defining managed objects for battery
monitoring, which will provide means for reporting detailed properties
of the actual charge, age, and state of a battery and of battery
statistics.

6. Applicability statement
The EMAN WG will develop an applicability statement, describing the
variety of applications that can use the energy framework and associated
MIB modules. Potential examples are building networks, home energy
gateway, etc. Finally, the document will also discuss relationships of
the framework to other architectures and frameworks (such as smartgrid).
The applicability statement will explain the relationship between the
work in this WG and the other existing standards such as those from the
IEC, ANSI, DMTF, and others.

Goals and Milestones

Dec 2010 Publish Internet draft on Energy Management Requirements 
Dec 2010 Publish Internet draft on Energy Management Framework 
Dec 2010 Publish Internet draft on Energy-aware Networks and Devices MIB 
Dec 2010 Publish Internet draft on Power and Energy Monitoring MIB 
Dec 2010 Publish Internet draft on Battery MIB Apr 2011 Publish Internet 
         draft on Energy Management Applicability 
May 2011 Submit Internet draft on Energy Management Requirements for 
         publication as Informational RFC 
Sep 2011 Submit Internet draft on Energy Management Framework for 
         publication as Informational RFC 
Sep 2011 Submit Internet draft on Energy-aware Networks and Devices MIB 
         for publication as Standard Track RFC 
Sep 2011 Submit Internet draft on Power and Energy Monitoring MIB for 
         publication as Standard Track RFC 
Sep 2011 Submit Internet draft on Battery MIB forpublication as Standard 
         Track RFC 
Dec 2011 Submit Internet draft on Energy Management Applicability for 
         publication as Informational RFC