Subject: [eman] WG Review: Energy Management (eman)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 14:38:05 -0700 (PDT)

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Operations and
Management Area.  The IESG has not made any determination as yet. The
following draft charter was submitted, and is provided for informational
purposes only. Please send your comments to the IESG mailing list
([email-masked]) by September 21, 2010.                            

Energy Management (eman)             
---------------------------------------------------               
Current Status: Proposed Working Group 

Last Modified: 2010-09-09

Chairs: TBD
Area Director: Dan Romascanu ([email-masked])

Mailing List
Address: [email-masked]
To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/eman

Description of Working Group

Energy management is becoming an additional requirement for network
management systems due to several factors including the rising and
fluctuating energy costs, the increased awareness of the ecological
impact of operating networks and devices, and the regulation of
governments on energy consumption and production.

The basic objective of energy management is operating communication
networks and other equipments with a minimal amount of energy while
still providing sufficient performance to meet service level objectives.
A discussion of detailed requirements has already started in the OPSAWG,
but further exploration in the EMAN WG is needed.
Today, most networking and network-attached devices neither monitor nor
allow control energy usage as they are mainly instrumented for functions
such as fault, configuration, accounting, performance, and security
management. These devices are not instrumented to be aware of energy
consumption. There are very few means specified in IETF documents for
energy management, which includes the areas of power monitoring, energy
monitoring, and power state control.
The OPSAWG started working on a MIB module for monitoring energy
consumption and power states of energy-aware devices and found that more
than just a MIB module was needed to manage energy in networks. Rather a
new framework for energy management needs to be developed first.

A particular difference between energy management and other management
tasks is that in some cases energy consumption of a device is not
measured at the device itself but reported by a different place. For
example, at a Power over Ethernet (PoE) sourcing device or at a smart
power strip, in which cases one device is effectively metering another
remote device. This requires a clear definition of the relationship
between the reporting devices and identification of remote devices for
which monitoring information is provided. Similar considerations will
apply to power state control of remote devices, for example, at a PoE
sourcing device that switches on and off power at its ports.

The WG will investigate existing standards such as those from the IEC,
ANSI, DMTF and others, and reuse existing work as much as possible.
The EMAN WG will work on the management of energy-aware devices, covered
by the following items :

1. Requirements for energy management.
The EMAN WG will develop a requirements document that will specify
energy management properties that will allow networks and devices to
become energy aware. In addition to energy awareness requirements, the
need for control functions will be discussed. Specifically the need to
monitor and control properties of devices that are remote to the
reporting device should be discussed.

2. Energy management framework.
The EMAN WG will create a framework document that will describe
extensions to current management framework, required for energy
management. This includes: power and energy monitoring, power states,
power state control, and potential power state transitions. The
framework will focus on energy management for IP-based network equipment
(routers, switches, IP cameras, phones and the like).
Particularly, the relationships between reporting devices, remote
devices, and monitoring probes (such as might be used in low-power and
lossy networks) need to be elaborated. For the case of a device
reporting on behalf of other devices and controlling those devices, the
framework will address the issues of discovery and identification of
remote devices.

3. Energy-aware Networks and Devices MIB document

The EMAN WG will develop a MIB module for monitoring energy-aware
networks and devices. The module will address devices identification,
context information, and potential relationship between reporting
devices, remote devices, and monitoring probes.

4. Power and Energy Monitoring MIB document The EMAN WG will develop a
document defining managed objects for monitoring of power states and
energy consumption/production. The monitoring of power states includes:
retrieving power states, properties of power states, current power
state, power state transitions, and power state statistics.
The managed objects will provide means for reporting detailed properties
of the actual energy rate (power) and of accumulated energy. Further, it
will provide information on electrical power quality.

5. Battery MIB document
The EMAN WG will develop a document defining managed objects for battery
monitoring, which will provide means for reporting detailed properties
of the actual charge, age, and state of a battery and of battery
statistics.

6. Applicability statement
The EMAN WG will develop an applicability statement, describing the
variety of applications that can use the energy framework and associated
MIB modules. Potential examples are building networks, home energy
gateway, etc. Finally, the document will also discuss relationships of
the framework to other architectures and frameworks (such as smartgrid).
The applicability statement will explain the relationship between the
work in this WG and the other existing standards such as those from the
IEC, ANSI, DMTF, and others.

Goals and Milestones

Dec 2010 Publish Internet draft on Energy Management Requirements
Dec 2010 Publish Internet draft on Energy Management Framework
Dec 2010 Publish Internet draft on Energy-aware Networks and Devices
MIB
Dec 2010 Publish Internet draft on Power and Energy Monitoring MIB
Dec 2010 Publish Internet draft on Battery MIB
Apr 2011 Publish Internet draft on Energy Management Applicability
May 2011 Submit Internet draft on Energy Management Requirements
for publication as Informational RFC
Sep 2011 Submit Internet draft on Energy Management Framework
for publication as Informational RFC
Sep 2011 Submit Internet draft on Energy-aware Networks and Devices
MIB for publication as Standard Track RFC
Sep 2011 Submit Internet draft on Power and Energy Monitoring MIB
for publication as Standard Track RFC
Sep 2011 Submit Internet draft on Battery MIB
for publication as Standard Track RFC
Dec 2011 Submit Internet draft on Energy Management Applicability
for publication as Informational RFC

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 02:09:09 +0200

Hi,

I am personally very much supportive of this work. I would just stress the fact
that energy management is of the utmost importance for IP Smart Objects and
I would encourage to include a WG item specific to these constrained devices.
Furthermore, since explicit reference to MIBs is made here, it would be nice to
investigate lighter mechanisms/protocols for power management of constrained
devices.

Hope that helps.

JP.

On Sep 14, 2010, at 11:38 PM, IESG Secretary wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> eman mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 14:06:09 +0200

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 02:09:09AM +0200, JP Vasseur wrote:
 
> I am personally very much supportive of this work. I would just
> stress the fact that energy management is of the utmost importance
> for IP Smart Objects and I would encourage to include a WG item
> specific to these constrained devices.  Furthermore, since explicit
> reference to MIBs is made here, it would be nice to investigate
> lighter mechanisms/protocols for power management of constrained
> devices.

What is the definition of "lighter mechanisms/protocols"? For what it
is worth, I presented concrete numbers of an SNMP implementation
running over Contiki over 6LowPAN on Atmel Ravens at the last IETF.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Jie Dong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 10:33:52 +0800

Hi,

I agree energy management is a good way for energy conservation of networks.
And maybe the improvements/extensions of network protocols can also be
helpful to energy savings. 

Thoughts?

Best regards,
Jie

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> JP Vasseur
> Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2010 8:09 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]; IETF Announcement list
> Subject: Re: [eman] WG Review: Energy Management (eman)
> 
> Hi,
> 
> Furthermore, since explicit reference to MIBs is made here, it would be
nice
> to

---

From: JinHyeock Choi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 16:33:22 +0900

Hi

I also support this work and wish that the WG would
take into consideration (IP-enabled) cellular network,
especially Base Station which, according to some source,
contributes 60 – 80% of total energy consumption.

best regards

JinHyeock Choi

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 15:22:52 +0200

Hi,

Do you have a specific proposal or can you describe more in details what kind of work the eman WG (if chartered) can do on energy management of (IP-enabled) cellular network devices? In order for such work to be chartered we need (among other) a clear scope of work, and identified contributors to do the work. 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of JinHyeock Choi
> Sent: Monday, September 20, 2010 9:33 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> I also support this work and wish that the WG would take into 
> consideration (IP-enabled) cellular network, especially Base 
> Station which, according to some source, contributes 60 – 80% 
> of total energy consumption.
> 
> best regards
> 
> JinHyeock Choi
> 
> 
> 
> > following draft charter was submitted, and is provided for 
> > informational purposes only. Please send your comments to the IESG 
> > mailing list
> > A discussion of detailed requirements has already started in the 
> > OPSAWG, but further exploration in the EMAN WG is needed.
> > Today, most networking and network-attached devices neither monitor 
> > nor allow control energy usage as they are mainly instrumented for 
> > functions such as fault, configuration, accounting, 
> performance, and 
> > security management. These devices are not instrumented to 
> be aware of 
> > energy consumption. There are very few means specified in IETF 
> > documents for energy management, which includes the areas of power 
> > monitoring, energy monitoring, and power state control.
> > consumption and power states of energy-aware devices and found that 
> > more than just a MIB module was needed to manage energy in 
> networks. 
> > Rather a new framework for energy management needs to be 
> developed first.
> >
> > The EMAN WG will work on the management of energy-aware devices, 
> > covered by the following items :
> >
> > framework will focus on energy management for IP-based network 
> > equipment (routers, switches, IP cameras, phones and the like).
> > reporting on behalf of other devices and controlling those devices, 
> > the framework will address the issues of discovery and 
> identification 
> > of remote devices.
> >
> > The managed objects will provide means for reporting detailed 
> > properties of the actual energy rate (power) and of accumulated 
> > energy. Further, it will provide information on electrical 
> power quality.
> >
> > 5. Battery MIB document
> > The EMAN WG will develop a document defining managed objects for 
> > battery monitoring, which will provide means for reporting detailed 
> > properties of the actual charge, age, and state of a battery and of 
> > battery statistics.
> >
> > variety of applications that can use the energy framework and 
> > associated MIB modules. Potential examples are building 
> networks, home 
> > energy gateway, etc. Finally, the document will also discuss 
> > relationships of the framework to other architectures and 
> frameworks (such as smartgrid).
> > work in this WG and the other existing standards such as those from 
> > the IEC, ANSI, DMTF, and others.
> >
> > Goals and Milestones
> >
> > Dec 2010 Publish Internet draft on Energy Management 
> Requirements Dec 
> > 2010 Publish Internet draft on Energy Management Framework Dec 2010 
> > Publish Internet draft on Energy-aware Networks and Devices MIB Dec 
> > 2010 Publish Internet draft on Power and Energy Monitoring MIB Dec 
> > 2010 Publish Internet draft on Battery MIB Apr 2011 Publish 
> Internet 
> > draft on Energy Management Applicability May 2011 Submit Internet 
> > draft on Energy Management Requirements for publication as 
> > Informational RFC Sep 2011 Submit Internet draft on Energy 
> Management 
> > Framework for publication as Informational RFC Sep 2011 Submit 
> > Internet draft on Energy-aware Networks and Devices MIB for 
> > publication as Standard Track RFC Sep 2011 Submit Internet draft on 
> > Power and Energy Monitoring MIB for publication as Standard 
> Track RFC 
> > Sep 2011 Submit Internet draft on Battery MIB for publication as 
> > Standard Track RFC Dec 2011 Submit Internet draft on Energy 
> Management 
> > Applicability for publication as Informational RFC
> >

---

From: JinHyeock Choi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 01:04:22 +0900

Dear Dan

> Do you have a specific proposal or
> can you describe more in details what kind of work
> the eman WG (if chartered) can do on energy management
> of (IP-enabled) cellular network devices?

Nothing special (or different) for cellular environment.
Just the same energy management features
described in ‘2. Energy management framework’
for cellular network devices,
(power and energy monitoring, power states,
power state control,,and potential power state transitions)

I wish the above would be applicable to cellular devices
and ‘the focus on IP-based network’ won’t
exclude cellular network device from eman work scope.

Thanks for your kind consideration.

Best regards

JinHyeock Choi

---

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 18:18:28 +0000

Dear JinHyeock,

In order to consider base stations it is important getting input
from base stations manufacturers and operators.

My company builds base stations and I will ask for reviews of our
documents from the corresponding division.

I would highly appreciate if you could motivate further vendors
or operators to also review our documents.

Kind regards,

    Juergen

On 20.09.10 18:04  "JinHyeock Choi" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> described in Œ2. Energy management framework¹
> and Œthe focus on IP-based network¹ won¹t
>> Do you have a specific proposal or can you describe more in details what kind
>> of work the eman WG (if chartered) can do on energy management of
>> (IP-enabled) cellular network devices? In order for such work to be chartered
>> we need (among other) a clear scope of work, and identified contributors to
>> do the work.
>> 
>> Thanks and Regards,
>> 
>> Dan
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>>> Station which, according to some source, contributes 60  80%

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 10:20:32 +0200

JP,

There are two types of smart objects. The ones that speak IP (obviously, 
we can speak to them) and the ones that don't.
In case they don't, we would still be able to manage them, but with a proxy
In http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/eman/current/msg00026.html, 
Juergen proposed to add a sentence in the charter, which should take 
care of this.

    "Another example scenario for energy management is a gateway to low resourced
    and lossy network devices in wireless a building network. Here the
    energy management system talks directly to the gateway but not to
    other devices in the building network."

Regards, Benoit.

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 10:22:07 +0200

Hi Jie,
> helpful to energy savings.
It might be useful in the future, for sure, but I think that we need a 
focused charter for now, based on monitoring and simple configuration.

Regards, Benoit.
>> more
>> equipment
>> battery

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:35:31 +0200

Dear all,

Making sure that the IESG is aware of this message, posted exclusively 
on the EMAN mailing list: 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/eman/current/msg00033.html

        * /From/: john parello <jparello at cisco.com
          <mailto:[email-masked]>>
        * /To/: eman at ietf.org <mailto:[email-masked]>
        * /Date/: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 18:37:41 -0700
        * /List-id/: Discussions about the creation of an Energy
          Management Working Group <eman.ietf.org>

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Hi,

    After some discussion with Jeurgen, Benoit, Brad and myself we
    propose the following change to the objective in the charter. This
    change will clarify some of the questions on the list w.r.t. purpose
    and applicability to smart objects, grid and other areas.

    new:

    """

    The objective of energy management is to operate communication
    networks and other equipment with a minimal amount of energy, while
    still providing sufficient performance to meet service level
    objectives, by providing energy awareness to devices in and attached
    to communication networks.

    A discussion....
    """

    old:

    """
    The basic objective of energy management is operating communication
    networks and other equipments with a minimal amount of energy while
    still providing sufficient performance to meet service level

    objectives. A discussion of detailed requirements has already
    started in the OPSAWG, but further exploration in the EMAN WG is
    needed.

    """

Regards, Benoit.