Subject: [Emu] CCM vs. EAX, and the specification of combined mode use in GPSK

From: Lakshminath Dondeti <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 16:33:26 -0700

I've finally had a chance to take a quick look at the relative 
differences between CCM and EAX.  From the EAX paper, it appears that 
the differences are in efficiency: simplicity of nonce construction, 
possibility for pre-computation of auth data on fixed headers and 
finally the online property of EAX seem to be the advantages over CCM.

I am curious about others' opinions on EAX vs. CCM.

Both of these modes seem to re-use a key for encryption and integrity 
protection.  My recollection is that the same key is used in both 
directions.  That could be a problem with counter mode if the IV 
construction is not done right.  802.11i, IPsec and 802.16e's 
constructions of the IV are different.  We need to make sure that is 
fully specified in the current document.  Thoughts?

regards,
Lakshminath

_______________________________________________
Emu mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/emu