Subject: [Emu] Re: Thoughts on Password-based EAP Methods

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 13:39:43 -0700

The latest EAP-TTLSv0 draft is available here:
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-funk-eap-ttls-v0-00.txt

In terms of publication interest, back in the fall Jari Arkko had announced 
a program to encourage widely implemented EAP methods to publish their 
specifications  as RFCs.  As I recall, there was interest to publish 
EAP-FAST (in the RFC Editor queue), PEAPv0 (documentation currently being 
revised for submission as an Internet Draft).   I don't know the current 
status of the EAP-TTLSv0 publication effort (e.g. whether publication has 
been requested or not).   Steve Hanna might know.

In terms of history, EAP-TTLSv0 was accepted as a Standards Track work item 
of the PPPEXT WG prior to the formation of the EAP WG.  It has been 
implemented on a wide variety of platforms including open source versions 
for Windows (http://www.securew2.com/) and Linux 
(http://open1x.sourceforge.net/).  Interoperability of EAP-TTLSv0 
implementations is currently certified by the WFA.

In terms of features that would be needed to meet EMU WG requirements, I 
think we are probably talking about crypto-binding and channel binding.  It 
is possible that there may be other features needed for some scenarios (e.g. 
mutual certificate authentication for a device/machine plus user auth for 
scenarios currently discussed within WiMAX Forum and 3GPP2).

_______________________________________________
Emu mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/emu

---

From: Ryan Hurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 14:31:59 -0700

I have not seen Steve on this list (though he might be), so I have added
him to this thread.

I have looked at TTLS and think it's a good method, I would be
interested in supporting participating in work to address the outlined
short comings if such a project were to be kicked off by Juniper in the
EMU group :)

Ryan

-----Original Message-----
From: Bernard Aboba [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 1:40 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Emu] Re: Thoughts on Password-based EAP Methods

In terms of publication interest, back in the fall Jari Arkko had
announced 
a program to encourage widely implemented EAP methods to publish their 
specifications  as RFCs.  As I recall, there was interest to publish 
EAP-FAST (in the RFC Editor queue), PEAPv0 (documentation currently
being 
revised for submission as an Internet Draft).   I don't know the current

status of the EAP-TTLSv0 publication effort (e.g. whether publication
has 
been requested or not).   Steve Hanna might know.

In terms of history, EAP-TTLSv0 was accepted as a Standards Track work
item 
of the PPPEXT WG prior to the formation of the EAP WG.  It has been 
implemented on a wide variety of platforms including open source
versions 
for Windows (http://www.securew2.com/) and Linux 
(http://open1x.sourceforge.net/).  Interoperability of EAP-TTLSv0 
implementations is currently certified by the WFA.

think we are probably talking about crypto-binding and channel binding.
It 
is possible that there may be other features needed for some scenarios
(e.g. 
mutual certificate authentication for a device/machine plus user auth
for 
scenarios currently discussed within WiMAX Forum and 3GPP2).

---

From: Badra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 23:58:46 +0200

Does it need to recharter?

Best regards,
Badra

---

From: Pascal Urien <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:30:35 +0200

Hi Bernard,

   Is there a patent about TTLS ?

   On the web i found this reference

[0001] This application claims the benefit under 35 U.S.C. 
.sctn.119(e) to commonly-owned U.S. provisional patent application 
Ser. No. 60/430,398, entitled THE EAP-MD5 TUNNELED AUTHENTICATION 
PROTOCOL, filed on Dec. 3, 2002 under attorney docket no. 
F0232.70000US00, which is hereby incorporated by reference in its entirety.

Pascal

At 22:39 28/03/2007, Bernard Aboba wrote:
>announced a program to encourage widely implemented EAP methods to 
>publish their specifications  as RFCs.  As I recall, there was 
>interest to publish EAP-FAST (in the RFC Editor queue), PEAPv0 
>(documentation currently being revised for submission as an Internet 
>Draft).   I don't know the current status of the EAP-TTLSv0 
>publication effort (e.g. whether publication has been requested or 
>not).   Steve Hanna might know.
>
>In terms of history, EAP-TTLSv0 was accepted as a Standards Track 
>work item of the PPPEXT WG prior to the formation of the EAP WG.  It 
>has been implemented on a wide variety of platforms including open 
>source versions for Windows (http://www.securew2.com/) and Linux 
>In terms of features that would be needed to meet EMU WG 
>requirements, I think we are probably talking about crypto-binding 
>and channel binding.  It is possible that there may be other 
>features needed for some scenarios (e.g. mutual certificate 
>authentication for a device/machine plus user auth for scenarios 
>currently discussed within WiMAX Forum and 3GPP2).
>
>
>