Subject: [Entmib] (no subject)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:00:49 +0000

Here are the minutes I took during the session today.  Action
items are at the end.

Let me know if I missed anything.

Margaret

Entity MIB Minutes
Tuesday, July 15, 2003
IETF 57 -- Vienna, Austria
==========================

CHAIR:	Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]> 

AGENDA:

Introduction and Agenda Bashing -- Margaret Wasserman (5 min)

Entity MIB Open Issues (if any) -- Andy Bierman (15 min)
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-entmib-v3-01.txt

Entity State MIB Open Issues (if any) -- Sharon Chisholm (15 min)
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-entmib-state-01.txt

Status/Milestone Update and Next Steps -- Margaret Wasserman (10 min)

ENTITY MIB

Andy presented one slide of changes made since last IETF,
all based on consensus from the last meeting.

Discussion of whether we need implementation reports available
before WG last call.  Those in the room were comfortable with
the implementation information they've seen, and thought that
it would be okay to start the last call in parallel with
completing the implementation report.

Entity MIB will be sent to WGLC for DS after the IETF.

ENTITY STATE MIB

Sharon presented the open issues with the Entity State MIB.

Andy commented that he likes the addition of the "not
supported" choice, as it is easier for application
develoers.

Some discussion of the meaning of states, and their
relationship to X.731.  We have added some values, and
we have not supported all of their states.  In particular,
we are having trouble deciding how to interpret the
usage state values.

Dan commented that the draft is unclear on the distinction
between 'active' and 'busy' for usage state.  It is obvious
for containers, but not for physical entities like power
supplies.  Needs clarification.  Dan will send some
suggestions to the list.

Andy pointed out that the Entity State MIB doesn't include
the new CPU enumeration.  Will open a problem report in RT.

Dave Perkins isn't convinced that the usage object is
useful -- the values can all be derived from other objects.

Discussion of how 'loadsharing' value of StandbyStatus TC
would be applied to some physical entities.  Andy pointed
out that this isn't enough information to do something
really useful.  

QUESTION:  Should we add the 'load-balancing' value to the
StandbyStatus TC.  Marjority not to add, but not definitive.
To be discussed on the list.

Sharon will clarify description regarding the meanings of 
the notifications.

Andy asked about hysteresis mechanism to avoid a lot of
notifications when state is flapping.  Sharon argued that
it shouldn't happen, and Andy agreed that it is okay as is.

Some clarifications needed on the topic of corrective
action.

Sharon will look at related MIBs and consider changes.

Dave Perkins would like to see a prototype implementation
before this goes to PS.  Andy asked "why?", and Dave
indicated that this is too important to change later.

Andy thinks that there is a lot of lee-way for applications
developers, particularly entStateOper.  What does it mean
at the chassis or system level?  Andy will send suggestions. 

ACTION ITEMS
============

Margaret     Last Call the Entity MIB for DS after IETF.
Margaret     Post Entity MIB implementation report on the web.
Dan          Send suggested wording for 'busy' and 'active'
                 usage states.
Andy         Open a problem report in RT indicating that the
                 CPU enumeration is missing in the Entity State
                 MIB.
All          Comment on Entity State MIB last call.
Sharon/Dave  Update Entity State MIB after last call completes
                 and circulate changes to the list for review.
Andy         Send suggestions for entStateOper for chassis.

_______________________________________________
Entmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/entmib