Subject: RE: [Entmib] FW: [psg.com #310] AutoReply: Alarm State Issues

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:58:09 -0500

Hi

All we need to do is refer to the definitions in the Alarm MIB and we should
be good.

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: David T. Perkins [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 12:51 AM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Entmib] FW: [psg.com #310] AutoReply: Alarm State Issues

HI,

The Alarm Status (not state) brings up the unsettled definition of what is
"an alarm" and what is "clearing an alarm". The definition 
of an alarm MUST be specified for the TC and object to be useful. Or another
term must be used (and, of course, that term must be 
well defined).
I suggest that the term "alarm" be replaced by "fault". And the following be
used for the TC and object definitions:

  FaultStatus  ::=  TEXTUAL-CONVENTION                                
     STATUS         current                                           
     DESCRIPTION                                                      
          "The fault status, which is a bit string.

          When all the bits are zero, then no faults are present.

          The bit 'unavailable(0)' indicates that the fault status
          is unknown. When set, all bits other than 'underRepair(1)'
          must be zero. The 'underRepair(1)' indicates that the
          an item is under repair.

          The following bits are one when one or more faults of
          the perceived severity exist. The value is zero for
          a bit when there is no existing fault of the perceived
          severity. The bits and faults are:
             'critical(2)'
             'major(3)'
             'minor(4)'
             'warning(5)'
             'indeterminate(6)' (the perceived severity cannot
                                 be determined)

          The entity may continue to operate while a fault
          condition exists."
      SYNTAX         BITS                                        
              {
              unavailable(0),                                      
              underRepair(1),                                         
              critical(2),                                            
              major(3),                                               
              minor(4),                                               
              -- The following are not defined in X.733               
              warning(6),                                            
              indeterminate(7)                                       
              }                                         

  entStateFault OBJECT-TYPE                                         
        SYNTAX      FaultStatus                                     
        MAX-ACCESS  read-only                                       
        STATUS      current                                         
        DESCRIPTION                                                 
             "The fault status for this entity. It does not include 
             the faults raised on entities within its       
             containment hierarchy. These are entities that
             specify this entity as the value for object
             entPhysicalContainedIn directly and indirectly."
        ::= { entStateEntry 5 }                                     

At 02:44 PM 2/11/2004 -0500, Sharon Chisholm wrote:
>The following is the proposed resolution to entstate-310. The issue 
>will be considered closed pending the proposed edit being done.
>
>In the description of AlarmStatus replace
>
>"            When the
>             value of under repair is set, the resource is currently
>             being repaired."
>
>With
>
>"            When the
>             value of under repair is set, the resource is currently
>             being repaired, which depending on the implementation, 
>             may make the other values in this bit string unreliable."
>
>
>And replace
>
>"
>             When the value of 'alarmOutstanding' is set, one or more
>             alarms is active against the resource. The fault may or may
>             not be disabling. "
>
>With
>
>"
>             When the value of 'alarmOutstanding' is set, one or more
>             alarms is active against the resource. The fault may or may
>             not be disabling. This bit provides a high-level summary that 
>             can be used to determine whether or not to examine the rest of
>             the values."
>
>
>An explanation on the difference between raw and computed state, as 
>defined in section 2.1 was previously provided in relation to the 
>severity of alarms issue. No change appears to be necessary on that 
>particular issue.
>
>Sharon
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: entity-state [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 2:58 AM
>To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]
>Subject: [psg.com #310] AutoReply: Alarm State Issues
>
><clip>
>
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>--
>Keith McCloghrie [[email-masked]]
>
>">   'underRepair' is an operState, not an AlarmState.
>> 
>>   from what perspective are the alarms classified as
>critical/major/minor/etc.
>>   e.g., does a particular fault have the same alarm status
>in 'coldStandby'
>>   as it does in 'hotStandby' or in 'providingService' ??  (hint: the
>answer
>>   is no!!).
>"
>
>    
>
>Juergen Schoenwaelder [[email-masked]]
>
>"6) AlarmStatus TC: I do not really understand the alarmOutStanding 
>bit. It seems like this is set whenever one of critical, major, minor, 
>warning and indeterminate is set. But if this is true, I think the bit 
>is not really terrible useful.
>
>Perhaps the bit has some other meaning. If so, please clarify."
Regards,
/david t. perkins 

_______________________________________________
Entmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/entmib