Subject: [Entmib] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-entmib-v3-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:34:07 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Entity MIB Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Entity MIB (Version 3)
	Author(s)	: K. McCloghrie, A. Bierman
	Filename	: draft-ietf-entmib-v3-06.txt
	Pages		: 68
	Date		: 2005-1-11
	
This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.  In particular, it describes managed objects used for managing multiple
logical and physical entities managed by a single SNMP agent.  This
document specifies version 3 of the Entity MIB, which obsoletes version
2 (RFC 2737).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-entmib-v3-06.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-entmib-v3-06.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-entmib-v3-06.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Entmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/entmib

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 07:50:17 -0500

Hi All,

I believe that this new version of the Entity MIB 
(draft-ietf-entmib-v3-06.txt) addresses all of the outstanding 
comments.

This document was previously sent to the IESG for publication at DS 
and was pulled back to reverse the deprecation of certain objects. 
Since the document would then need to be re-cycled at PS, we decided 
to add objects to indicate the manufacturing date of a physical 
entity and to allow the inclusion of URIs to further specify the 
physical entity.  Most of the objects in this MIB have been 
implemented in multiple, interoperable implementations and are in 
common use.

Since this document has already been through WG Last Call several 
times, I just like to do a quick check that no new problems have been 
introduced as a result of the latest edits, then I will send this 
document on to the IESG for publication.

So, if you have any objection to this document being submitted to the 
IESG in its current form for publication as a Proposed Standard RFC, 
please send them to the [email-masked] mailing list by Wednesday, 
January 19th.

Thanks,
Margaret

At 3:34 PM -0500 1/11/05, [email-masked] wrote:
>This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB) 
>for use with network management protocols in the Internet community. 
>In particular, it describes managed objects used for managing 
>multiple

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:28:36 +0100

> please send them to the [email-masked] mailing list by Wednesday, 

I support this document being submitted to the IESG. However, I found
a few nits that probably should be addressed (personally I do not care
when in the process):

a) The description of entPhysicalMfgDate says '0000000000000000'H is
   returned if the date is unknown. The text in section 2.12.1 says
   that the object is not instantiated if the date is unknown. 
   
   It appears to me that entPhysicalFirmwareRev, entPhysicalSoftwareRev,
   entPhysicalSerialNum, entPhysicalMfgName, and entPhysicalModelName
   all return a zero-length string if the value is unknown so I think
   the description is actually consistent with them.
   
   Hence I propose the following change to section 2.12.1:

   OLD

     This object contains the date of manufacturing of the managed
     entity.  If the manufacturing date is unknown or not supported
     the object is not instantiated.

   NEW

     This object contains the date of manufacturing of the managed
     entity. If the manufacturing date is unknown or not supported
     the object is not instantiated. The special value 
     '0000000000000000'H may also be returned in this case.

b) My smilint says the following:

   ./ENTITY-MIB:90: warning: type `PhysicalIndex' has no format
                             specification
   ./ENTITY-MIB:104: warning: type `PhysicalIndexOrZero' has no format
			      specification

   I suggest to add DISPLAY-HINT "d" clauses to the TC definitions.

c) If I understand the MIB review guidelines correctly, then we should
   put the following into the IANA Considerations section:

      The MIB module in this document uses the following IANA-assigned
      OBJECT IDENTIFIER values recorded in the SMI Numbers registry:

      Descriptor        OBJECT IDENTIFIER value
      ----------        -----------------------
      entityMIB         { mib-2 47 }

      Editor's Note (to be removed prior to publication):  this draft
      makes no additional requests of the IANA.

   (I know that one can debate the utility of this but I do not want
   to do this here.)

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany