Subject: [ESDS] Proposed Charter - 2nd update

From: Ali Rezafard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 15:10:02 -0400

Dear ESDS members,

Below is our updated charter. Please review and comment by September  
19th. Silence will be interpreted as consensus from the group.

Best Regards,
Ali Rezafard

ESDS Charter:

ESDS has been chartered to architect and define a protocol for  
Discovery Services. Discovery Services at its core offers to  
authenticated and authorized users the means to discover sources of  
information for a particular object. Discovery Services can be  
implemented as a decentralized directory of resources indexed by a  
shared identifier. The scope of Discovery Service is confined to only  
providing referral data to source of information. Discovery Services  
need to be deployable in both closed networks as well as open and  
global networks such as Internet.

ESDS will develop interfaces for users of Discovery Services as well  
as an interface for peer-to-peer communication among Discovery  
Services. ESDS will develop interfaces for publishing data, submitting  
one-time queries, and registering for standing queries.  ESDS should  
support utilization of a trusted external identity management service  
for Authentication. ESDS should enable configuration of Authorization  
and Access Control for publishing clients to provide control over the  
reference data in Discovery Service.

One of the applications motivating the development and standardization  
of Discovery Services is the increasing use of automatic  
identification technologies (in particular Radio Frequency  
Identification (RFID) ) to capture observations of tagged physical  
objects within the premises of a company and also as they pass from  
one company to another, in a supply chain or supply network.

However, Discovery Services have a potentially wider generic  
applicability, as a bottom-up mechanism for constructing indices and  
referral systems for information about particular topics or keywords,  
particularly when the contributed information is distributed across  
multiple nodes on the internet and in particular, where the  
contributed information (and the metadata that enables its discovery)  
is not intended to be available to everyone or is not ordinarily  
discoverable by public web search engines that perform automated  
crawling and indexing of publicly accessible content.
_______________________________________________
ESDS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/esds

---

From: Ali Rezafard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 15:23:08 -0400

Thank you Kary and Mark for your input. The charter has been updated  
accordingly.

I have removed the word "available" from "i)" since availability would  
be subject to Authentication and Authorization. Also "available" might  
be implying that DS should verify the information resource  
availability, which is not in scope of a DS responsibilities.

Best Regards,
Ali

ESDS Charter:

providing referral data to resource of information. Discovery Services  

ESDS will develop interfaces for users of Discovery Services as well  
as an interface for peer-to-peer communication among Discovery  
Services. ESDS will develop interfaces for:
i) publishing the address of information resources [for a particular  
ID of an object of interest],
ii) submitting one-time queries for retrieving the addresses of such  
resources, and
iii) registering for standing queries, whose responses inform the  
client of addition, deletion or modification of DS records at a future  
time for a particular ID or group of IDs of an object or objects of  
interest.
ESDS should support utilization of a trusted external identity  
management service for Authentication. ESDS should enable  
configuration of Authorization and Access Control for publishing  
clients to provide control over the reference data in Discovery Service.

---

From: "Miguel Angel Guijarro Moreno" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 11:20:59 +0200

Dear Ali, all

Thanks for the charter. Basically, I agree with it

However, I have something on my mind that I want to share. Apologies if
this falls out of the scope of this group.

It is mentioned explicitly the increasing use of RFID technologies,
about this point I should agree. However, I considered this is only one
(family of) technology(s) that may enable to locate a particular item,
but there should be other ways to interact with a intelligent items,
IMHO we will see in the future an increasing number of personal
equipment that may have PAN/WAN/WMAN abilities. Currently many efforts
work on the direction of enabling access to items and handover between
short/mid/long range communications. This is closely linked to the
concept of Internet of things: "things" that have some amount of
intelligence + ability to access them and put them on the internet.

Therefore, in the future apart from RFID/EPC (which I believe has a lot
of positive aspects to triumph for identification of individual items)
it should be possible to identify an element through its
internet/network ID. So, I was wondering if ESDS as a directory of
resources may consider wider range of technologies for observations. And
if this should be expressed, somehow, on the charter.

Just wanted to exchange some thoughts, thanks!

Miguel Angel

PS http://www.worldinternetcenter.com/Pubs/Pubs2004/feb05/IPv6vEPC.pdf

-----Mensaje original-----
De: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] En nombre de
Ali Rezafard
Enviado el: jueves, 25 de septiembre de 2008 21:23
Para: [email-masked]
Asunto: Re: [ESDS] Proposed Charter - 2nd update

I have removed the word "available" from "i)" since availability would
be subject to Authentication and Authorization. Also "available" might
be implying that DS should verify the information resource availability,
which is not in scope of a DS responsibilities.

Best Regards,
Ali

ESDS Charter:

ESDS has been chartered to architect and define a protocol for Discovery
Services. Discovery Services at its core offers to authenticated and
authorized users the means to discover sources of information for a
particular object. Discovery Services can be implemented as a
decentralized directory of resources indexed by a shared identifier. The
scope of Discovery Service is confined to only providing referral data
to resource of information. Discovery Services need to be deployable in
both closed networks as well as open and global networks such as
Internet.

ESDS will develop interfaces for users of Discovery Services as well as
an interface for peer-to-peer communication among Discovery Services.
ESDS will develop interfaces for:
i) publishing the address of information resources [for a particular ID
of an object of interest],
ii) submitting one-time queries for retrieving the addresses of such
resources, and
iii) registering for standing queries, whose responses inform the client
of addition, deletion or modification of DS records at a future time for
a particular ID or group of IDs of an object or objects of interest.
ESDS should support utilization of a trusted external identity
management service for Authentication. ESDS should enable configuration
of Authorization and Access Control for publishing clients to provide
control over the reference data in Discovery Service.

One of the applications motivating the development and standardization
of Discovery Services is the increasing use of automatic identification
technologies (in particular Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) ) to
capture observations of tagged physical objects within the premises of a
company and also as they pass from one company to another, in a supply
chain or supply network.

However, Discovery Services have a potentially wider generic
applicability, as a bottom-up mechanism for constructing indices and
referral systems for information about particular topics or keywords,
particularly when the contributed information is distributed across
multiple nodes on the internet and in particular, where the contributed
information (and the metadata that enables its discovery) is not
intended to be available to everyone or is not ordinarily discoverable
by public web search engines that perform automated crawling and
indexing of publicly accessible content.

--

---

From: Mark Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 11:27:57 +0100

Dear Miguel Angel,

Thanks for posting this helpful remark.  I agree with what you are  
saying.

As you know, Discovery Services are intended to provide serial-level  
lookup to find multiple information resources for a particular  
identifier.  I am sure that the ESDS protocol efforts would not want  
to restrict this to exclusively identifiers that are encoded in RFID  
tags, nor to only support identifiers that can already be encoded as  
an Electronic Product Code (EPC) using the existing identifier schemes  
that it currently supports (although the EPC is designed to be  
extensible to support additional identifier schemes in the future).

There are already many examples that argue for supporting a broader  
range of identifiers and identification technologies:

For tracking of pharmaceuticals at item level, some pilots (such as  
the one in the BRIDGE project) use a mix of RFID technology (at case  
and pallet level) and DataMatrix 2-D barcodes at the item-level.  It  
is even possible to laser etch a unique DataMatrix symbol onto an  
individual tablet - whereas it is clearly not desirable to embed  
miniature RFID tags inside objects that are to be ingested.

In the USA, legislation such as the TREAD act of 2000 is motivating  
activity in tracking of vehicle tyres.  Currently, in the USA, tyres  
are identified by a Tire Identification Number (TIN) - although the  
TIN really only identifies the production batch, rather than being a  
fully serialized identifier that is unique for an individual tyre.   
The AIAG (Automotive Industry Action Group) has developed their B-11  
standard for tyre identification, with the intention that it can be  
encoded in either an embedded RFID tag or within a DataMatrix symbol.   
Both ISO and EPCglobal have been involved in the discussions with the  
AIAG.  However, the current version of EPCglobal's Tag Data Standard  
does not yet include an EPC representation of either the TIN or the  
AIAG's B-11 tyre identifier.

As you point out, it is essential that a protocol for Discovery  
Services should be agnostic about the identification technology and  
should be able to support multiple families of identifiers.  Regarding  
the latter point, it is important to avoid collisions between  
syntactically identical identifiers from different identifier  
families.  To qualify the context or namespace of each identifier, we  
can construct a URI, in which each namespace has a distinct URI  
prefix.  There have already been a few helpful postings on this ESDS  
list about that topic.

It would still be very helpful if industry end-users on this mailing  
list could provide details of the kinds of objects that they need to  
track (or for which they need assistance in gathering complete  
lifecycle information from multiple organisations), ideally with use  
case descriptions and details of the identifier standards they use  
currently and/or expect to use in the future, whether it uses RFID  
technology or other Auto-ID technologies, whether it uses EPC  
identifiers, GS1 identifiers or other identifiers.

Best regards,

- Mark

On 29 Sep 2008, at 10:20, Miguel Angel Guijarro Moreno wrote:

> availability,
> Discovery
> as
> client
> configuration
> identification
> contributed

---

From: "Miguel Angel Guijarro Moreno" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 16:46:45 +0200

Dear Mark,

Thanks for your clarification. 

Regarding the case of pharmaceuticals, apart from avoiding people to
ingest tags, I think Datamatrix is also better positioned due to lower
costs (RFID tags pro dosis is unaffordable) and also because optical
systems already work well on production lines, while it's unclear
performance of RFID on a high-density of readers environment. As you
say, here we have a very important case of technology coexistance.

I fully agree that feedback from potential end-users is key for a better
definition of the ESDS.

Regards,

Miguel Angel

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Mark Harrison [mailto:[email-masked]] En nombre de Mark
Harrison
Enviado el: lunes, 29 de septiembre de 2008 12:28
Para: Miguel Angel Guijarro Moreno; [email-masked]
Asunto: Re: [ESDS] Proposed Charter - 2nd update

Dear Miguel Angel,

As you know, Discovery Services are intended to provide serial-level
lookup to find multiple information resources for a particular
identifier.  I am sure that the ESDS protocol efforts would not want to
restrict this to exclusively identifiers that are encoded in RFID tags,
nor to only support identifiers that can already be encoded as an
Electronic Product Code (EPC) using the existing identifier schemes that
it currently supports (although the EPC is designed to be extensible to
support additional identifier schemes in the future).

For tracking of pharmaceuticals at item level, some pilots (such as the
one in the BRIDGE project) use a mix of RFID technology (at case and
pallet level) and DataMatrix 2-D barcodes at the item-level.  It is even
possible to laser etch a unique DataMatrix symbol onto an individual
tablet - whereas it is clearly not desirable to embed miniature RFID
tags inside objects that are to be ingested.

In the USA, legislation such as the TREAD act of 2000 is motivating
activity in tracking of vehicle tyres.  Currently, in the USA, tyres are
identified by a Tire Identification Number (TIN) - although the TIN
really only identifies the production batch, rather than being a  
fully serialized identifier that is unique for an individual tyre.   
The AIAG (Automotive Industry Action Group) has developed their B-11
standard for tyre identification, with the intention that it can be  
encoded in either an embedded RFID tag or within a DataMatrix symbol.   
Both ISO and EPCglobal have been involved in the discussions with the
AIAG.  However, the current version of EPCglobal's Tag Data Standard
does not yet include an EPC representation of either the TIN or the
AIAG's B-11 tyre identifier.

As you point out, it is essential that a protocol for Discovery Services
should be agnostic about the identification technology and should be
able to support multiple families of identifiers.  Regarding the latter
point, it is important to avoid collisions between syntactically
identical identifiers from different identifier families.  To qualify
the context or namespace of each identifier, we can construct a URI, in
which each namespace has a distinct URI prefix.  There have already been
a few helpful postings on this ESDS list about that topic.

It would still be very helpful if industry end-users on this mailing
list could provide details of the kinds of objects that they need to
track (or for which they need assistance in gathering complete lifecycle
information from multiple organisations), ideally with use case
descriptions and details of the identifier standards they use currently
and/or expect to use in the future, whether it uses RFID technology or
other Auto-ID technologies, whether it uses EPC identifiers, GS1
identifiers or other identifiers.

Best regards,

- Mark

--

---

From: Olivier DUBUISSON <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 18:22:45 +0200

Dear all,

Mark Harrison wrote:
[...]
> a few helpful postings on this ESDS list about that topic.

Recommendation ITU-T X.668 | ISO/IEC 9834-9 is a solution to the issue 
of qualifying the namespace of each identifier.

See 
http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/newslog/New+Standard+Unifies+ID+Schemes+For+Tagbased+Applications.aspx
for some info.

ITU-T X.668 is an approved standard but it is not (freely) available 
yet. I am sure there will be a way to provide this group with a copy 
once the ESDS working group is officially launched.

Since an IRI notation for OIDs is being standardized, you have the URI 
that Mark's was pointing out in his email.
-- 
Olivier DUBUISSON
France Telecom
Pilotage de la normalisation/Standards Steering
NSM/RD/DDEV - BP 50702 - 22307 Lannion Cedex - France
tel: +33 2 96 05 38 50 - fax: +33 1 58 15 52 05
_______________________________________________
ESDS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/esds

---

From: Mark Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 18:44:27 +0100

Dear Olivier,

Many thanks for this information.

When you mention IRI notation, I assume that you mean  
Internationalized Resource Identifiers as specified in RFC3987?	http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3987.txt

This is certainly helpful, since it means that also users of other  
data carrier technologies (e.g. DataMatrix) and ISO users of RFID tags  
have a well-defined way to express their identifiers as a structured  
URI or IRI, rather than as a completely opaque binary string.

Best regards,

- Mark

On 29 Sep 2008, at 17:22, Olivier DUBUISSON wrote:

>> should be able to support multiple families of identifiers.   
>> Regarding the latter point, it is important to avoid collisions  
>> between syntactically identical identifiers from different  
>> identifier families.  To qualify the context or namespace of each  
>> identifier, we can construct a URI, in which each namespace has a  
>> distinct URI prefix.  There have already been a few helpful  
>> postings on this ESDS list about that topic.
>
> Recommendation ITU-T X.668 | ISO/IEC 9834-9 is a solution to the  
> issue of qualifying the namespace of each identifier.
>
> See http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/newslog/New+Standard+Unifies+ID+Schemes+For+Tagbased+Applications.aspx
> for some info.
>
> Since an IRI notation for OIDs is being standardized, you have the  
> URI that Mark's was pointing out in his email.
> -- 
> Olivier DUBUISSON
> France Telecom