Subject: [Extra] Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-extra-imap-unauth-00: (with COMMENT)

From: Mirja Kühlewind <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2018 08:57:28 -0700

Mirja Kühlewind has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-extra-imap-unauth-00: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-extra-imap-unauth/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick question, however, I really don't know much about IMAP: Would it already
help to just use TLS1.3 0-RTT session resumption instead?

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2018 13:47:09 +0100

Hi Mirja,

> help to just use TLS1.3 0-RTT session resumption instead?

It would possibly speed-up reconnect, but it wouldn't eliminate the need to have UNAUTHENTICATE, because TLS and authentication are separate steps in IMAP.

Best Regards,
Alexey