Subject: [Extra] Spencer Dawkins' No Objection on draft-ietf-extra-imap-status-size-02: (with COMMENT)

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2018 12:53:20 -0700

Spencer Dawkins has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-extra-imap-status-size-02: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-extra-imap-status-size/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

(Just as an aside - all the EXTRA drafts I'm reading this week are great
examples of protocol extensions. I'm glad I balloted Yes to create the group!)

I was somewhat confused by the first couple of sentences.

  This document extends Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP)
   [IMAP4rev1] with a new capability called "STATUS=SIZE".  To determine
   the total storage size of a mailbox, an IMAP client currently needs
   to retrieve all message sizes individually using the FETCH command
   with the RFC822.SIZE data item.

Is the "total storage size of a mailbox" the "total size of all messages stored
in a message store"? "Total storage size of a mailbox" seems more like a
capacity number than a usage number.

I see "total size of the mailbox" used in more than one place, but I think just
the clarification on first use would be enough. And my apologies if everyone
who has ever worked on IMAP knows what was meant ;-)

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 21:52:03 +0100

Hi Spencer,

> On 5 Jun 2018, at 20:53, Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> in a message store"?

No. In IMAP a user has access to multiple mailboxes and they may contain different messages. So “message store” != “mailbox”.

> "Total storage size of a mailbox" seems more like a

Hmm. Capacity is typically called “quota limit” in IMAP (if QUOTA extension is supported) (*).

(*) - oversimplification for the purpose of this conversation.

Best Regards,
Alexey

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 16:14:46 -0500

Hi, Alexey,

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 3:52 PM Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> No. In IMAP a user has access to multiple mailboxes and they may contain
> different messages. So “message store” != “mailbox”.
>

OK (you mean there are things about IMAP I don't know? :-)

I should have asked if the "total storage size of a mailbox" is the "total
size of all messages stored in a mailbox"?

> (*) - oversimplification for the purpose of this conversation.

As noted above, oversimplification when replying to this ballot is entirely
appropriate!

Spencer