Subject: [Extra] Protocol Action: 'IMAP REPLACE Extension' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-extra-imap-replace-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 09:11:56 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IMAP REPLACE Extension'
  (draft-ietf-extra-imap-replace-03.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Email mailstore and eXtensions To Revise
or Amend Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-extra-imap-replace/

Technical Summary

  This spec extends IMAP to provide a way for clients to replace an
  existing message with a new message.  This is particularly useful
  for updating Draft messages, as it can avoid transient quota
  limitations.

Working Group Summary

  This is a draft which has been around for a while without a good
  working group to progress it.  There was some discussion of whether it
  could be implemented as an extension to the existing APPEND command
  instead, but the need to have a mailbox selected in order to EXPUNGE
  the original message made it clear that a new command would be
  more consistent. 

Document Quality

  The document spells out interactions with other extensions.
  Several implementors are interested in implementing this extension.

Personnel

  Document Shepherd - Bron Gondwana (EXTRA co-chair)
  Responsible Area Director - Alexey Melnikov

RFC Editor Note

In Section 5, change the last ABNF production to read:

OLD:
   uid            =/ replace

New:
   uid            =/ "UID" SP replace