Subject: [Extra] PREVIEW draft in Working Group Last Call

From: "Bron Gondwana" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 23:24:06 -0500

Hi All, 
 As discussed in Bangkok, preview is basically done. The only outstanding issue I'm aware of is the exact maximum length of the preview. This is the text in the current draft:
 
   The server SHOULD limit the length of the preview text to 200 preview
   characters.  This length should provide sufficient data to generally
   support both various languages (and their different average word
   lengths) and different client display size requirements.

   The server MUST NOT output preview text longer than 256 preview
   characters.
 
And the text in JMAP as submitted for publication is: 
 
   o  *preview*: "String" (immutable; server-set) A plain text fragment
      of the message body.  This is intended to be shown as a preview
      line on a mailbox listing, and may be truncated when shown.  The
      server may choose which part of the message to include in the
      preview; skipping quoted sections and salutations and collapsing
      white-space can result in a more useful preview.  This MUST NOT be
      more than 256 characters in length.
 
These two specifications are congruent, which makes me very happy! 
 
I also intent to write a full review of this draft as part of the working group last call, and possibly to implement it! 
 
Cheers, 
 Bron. 
 
-- 
 Bron Gondwana, CEO, FastMail Pty Ltd 
 [email-masked]