Subject: [IETF-FAX] Request for IESG Consideration on Service I-D

From: Hiroshi Tamura <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 14:25:41 +0900 (JST)

Dear Ned,
Dear Patrik,
Dear IETF secretary,

I am Hiroshi Tamura, a co-chair of IETF FAX WG.

The Internet Fax Working Group requests IESG approval for publication of 
the following document, with the specified status. 

....................................................................

A Simple Mode of Facsimile Using Internet Mail
  draft-ietf-fax-service-v2-03.txt

Status: Draft Standard

Technical Summary
  This specification provides for "simple mode" carriage of facsimile
  data over the Internet. 
  The specification employs standard protocols and file formats such 
  as TCP/IP, Internet mail protocols, MIME, and TIFF for Facsimile.  
  It can send images not only to other Internet-aware facsimile devices 
  but also to Internet-native systems, such as PCs with common email 
  readers which can handle MIME mail and TIFF for Facsimile data.  
  The specification facilitates communication among existing facsimile 
  devices, Internet mail agents, and the gateways which connect them.

There are only changes to make some items non-normative from RFC 2305.
Also, during the WG Last Call period, there were no comments.
It sucessfully finished. The related interworking report is attached
to this mail. Also, the reference report is attached.

The I-D has a dependency issue, especially for DSN(RFC1894).
However, as we confirmed and Ned agreed at Minneapolis meeting,
we are suggested to do WG Last Call and to request it as Draft Standard.

Here is the quotation of our minutes at Minneapolis.

  ---------------------------------------------------------------------- 
  4.1 Service (Simple mode) 
  ---------------------------------------------------------------------- 
  There is one I-D. The current status was introduced.
  - draft-ietf-fax-service-v2-03.txt (Obsoleting RFC 2305)
  It defines simple mode internet fax.

  -02 was expired. -03 is completely the same as -02. There are three
  dependencies. They are DSN, TIFF-FX and Addressing. TIFF-FX and
  Addressing are FAX-WG issues and can be solved soon within our WG.
  But, in fact, this I-D is stalled due to the lack of DSN "Draft
  Standard" status. Unfortunately, there is no progess about the DSN
  status. It was decided to go anyhow for the WG last-call (AD agrees)
  and submit the document for approval. Publication could not happen
  until dependencies are resolved, but this is expected to happen soon.

....................................................................

Best Regards,
--
Hiroshi Tamura
IETF FAX WG co-chair