Subject: Protocol Action: A Simple Mode of Facsimile Using Internet Mail to Draft Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 14:08:57 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'A Simple Mode of Facsimile 
Using Internet Mail' <draft-ietf-fax-service-v2-05.txt> as a Draft 
Standard. This document obsoletes RFC2305.

This document is a product of the Internet Fax Working Group. The 
IESG contact persons are Ned Freed and Patrik Faltstrom.
   
Technical Summary

    This specification provides for "simple mode" carriage of facsimile 
    data using Internet mail. Extensions to this document will follow. 
    The current specification employs standard protocols and file formats 
    such as TCP/IP, Internet mail protocols, MIME, and Tagged Image File 
    Format (TIFF) for Facsimile. It can send images not only to other 
    Internet-aware facsimile devices but also to Internet-native systems, 
    such as PCs with common email readers which can handle MIME mail and 
    TIFF for Facsimile data. The specification facilitates communication 
    among existing facsimile devices, Internet mail agents, and the 
    gateways which connect them.

Working Group Summary
   
    This document is a revision of RFC 2305. There have been no technical 
    changes from the previous version.
   
Protocol Quality
   
    This specification was reviewed for the IESG by Ned Freed.

RFC Editor note:

The references

Several references in this document need to be updated. In particular,

  [7] Allocchio, C., "Minimal PSTN address format for Internet
      mail", draft-ietf-fax-faxaddr-v2-04.txt, June 2001.
               
has been published as RFC 3191,

  [8] Allocchio, C., "Minimal fax address format for Internet
      mail", draft-ietf-fax-minaddr-v2-04.txt, June 2001.

has been published as RFC 3192,

  [9] Moore, K., and G. Vaudreuil, "An Extensible Message
      Format for Delivery Status Notifications", RFC 1894, January
      1996.

should refer to draft-vaudreuil-1894bis-01.txt,

  [18] Hoffman, P., "SMTP Service Extension for Secure SMTP over TLS",
       RFC 2487, January 1999.

should refer to RFC 3207, and

  [19] Dusse, S., Hoffman, P., Ramsdell, B., Lundblade, L., and
       L. Repka, "S/MIME Version 2 Message Specification", RFC 2311,
       March 1998.

should refer to RFC 2633.

The acronym "TIFF" in the abstract needs to be expanded to
"Tagged Image File Format (TIFF)".

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 14:50:16 -0700

>Standard. This document obsoletes RFC2305.

Congratulations to us all!  Draft Standard status is an important 
milestone, indicating maturity of the protocol.

d/

----------
Dave Crocker  <mailto:[email-masked]>
Brandenburg InternetWorking  <http://www.brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.850.1850