Subject: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-forces-framework-01.txt

From: "Yang, Lily L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:23:04 -0700

The changes occured in this revision of the ForCES framework document are
mostly minor except in Section 6 (Applicability to RFC1812). There are some
editorial revision throughout the document, and important correction to a
few cross reference errors.

The technical comments we got since last revision are mostly concerning
Section 6. There are questions like where ARP should be done (CE or FE),
where ICMP error messages are generated etc. To calrify on this, a general
guideline is added in this section (more specifically, in 6.2):
"...ARP support may be implemented in either CEs or FEs. As we will see
        later, a number of behaviors that RFC1812 mandates fall into this
        category -- they may be performed by the FE and may be performed by
        the CE. A general guideline is needed to ensure interoperability
        between separated control and forwarding planes. The guideline we
        offer here is that CEs are required to be capable of these
        operations while FEs may or may not choose to implement them. FE
        model should indicate its capabilities in this regard. "
Some clarification along this line is also made in section 6.3 regarding IP
options like source route, record route, time stamp, etc.
There was also a error in previous revision regarding forwarding tables in
multiple FEs. That was also corrected in this revision.

Once again, we would like to thank all the people that have provided
comments to us. We would like to ask you to take one more look at the
document, esp. Section 6 and provide feedback.

Thanks,
Lily

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 5:02 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-forces-framework-01.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Forwarding and Control Element Separation
Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : ForCES Architectural Framework
        Author(s)       : L. Yang et al.
        Filename        : draft-ietf-forces-framework-01.txt
        Pages           : 23
        Date            : 2002-9-10

This document defines the architectural framework for ForCES network
elements (NE), and identifies the associated entities and the
interaction among them.  This framework is intended to satisfy the
requirements specified in the ForCES requirements draft [FORCES-
REQ].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-forces-framework-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-ietf-forces-framework-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-forces-framework-01.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:23:12 -0700

---

From: "T. Sridhar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 17:46:07 -0700

Lily,

I have some minor comments/suggestions on the document - can I call you up
to discuss them?

Regards,
Sridhar

-----Original Message-----
From: Forwarding and Control Element Separation
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Yang, Lily L
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 10:23 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-forces-framework-01.txt

Thanks,
Lily

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 5:02 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-forces-framework-01.txt

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type: