Subject: Re: Model Reminder

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 03:05:52 -0400

I was asked a useful question last night:  What does this mean and on what
basis would working group members decide that we should (or should not)
accept the model document as a working group document, given multiple
related documents?

While a final answer is up to the chairs, I thought it might help to send
out my own understanding / view.

The working group has been discussing the forces model for a while.  We are
beginning now to understand what we are talking about.  (A positive sign in
this regard is that we are seeing multiple contributions.)  If we choose to
make one document a working group document, we do several things:
1) From then on, the editors must reflect wrking group consensus when that
exists.  (Related to this, where possible things that are still contentions
should be so indicated.  Obviously at first this will not be as clear.)
2) The working group is NOT accepting all the text in the document as rough
conensus.
3) The working group is saying that the rough approach in the document, and
the rough outline of how the topics are talked about seems to be a useful
approach to the topic for the working groups purposes.

To phrase this a different way, it is reasonable to accept the document as
a working group document if it seems to be a good starting point for the
work going forward.  If on the other hand you are uncomfortable with the
basic assumptions, or you think the document structure will make it hard to
get where we need to be, then please say so.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern

At 09:19 AM 7/13/2003 -0700, Putzolu, David wrote:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yang-forces-model-02.txt
>
>          *** NOTE: Authors intend to ask to make the above a WG
>document. ***
>          *** Please read and review prior to meeting or comment on list!
>***