Subject: latest version of the model draft

From: "Deleganes, Ellen M" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:31:09 -0800

Thanks to Joel and the model team for the comments, here is the latest
version of the model draft. If there are no further issues, I plan to
upload this version to the I-D site. (I won't have access to the
internet over the weekend).

Regards,

Ellen

---

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:51:34 -0500

Folks,

I wish to reopen the discussion on the FE topology mostly given light of
newer developments such as working towards making
draft-ansari-forces-discovery-01.txt a WG item  (as discussed in last
meeting). 
Besides that i do believe that FEConfiguredNeighborType violates the
simple rules we have imposed on separation (unnecessarily if i may add).

The FEObjects view of the neighbor at the moment is a little too
intrusive. It tries to aggregate things that are found in a few other
LFBs within this single spot (ARP, etc) when there is no need to do so.
If we need to lookup an IP to address mapping surely that would be ARP
LFBs job. If we are to have static entries mapping the two, then that
still belongs to the ARP LFB. Ok, worst case create a "static
configuration LFB" (although static config files should do just fine).
I dont expect a human (other than a developer) to be looking at this
LFBs details. I do expect tools to look at this LFB for the purpose of
gathering and correlating info about an FE and its neighbors but they
woul be looking at a lot more LFBs.
i.e there is no point in breaking the rules just for this one thing.

Additionaly:
FEConfiguredNeighborType also asumes MAC addresses and IP addresses as
the underlying connection for the Neighbor. This is bad.
I do expect we will see various technologies interconnecting FEs
(anywhere from sockets, ethernet, ethernet VLANS, CSIX, SPI-X to
PCI-Express AS- switches.)

My suggestion:

The most meaningful things to show that will suffice for all 
configuration is:

- Neighbors FEID
- The interface of the above neighbor
- FE's interface that connects to this neighbor

Even the above maybe intrusive, but make less assumptions.
Any other information should be accessible elsewhere. You oughta know
where to find it because it is documented in LFB definitions.

cheers,
jamal

---

From: Furquan Ansari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:51:27 -0500

Folks,
        As part of the discussion that Jamal has brought up, I would 
request the WG members to read the draft on topology
discovery - i.e. draft-ansari-forces-discovery-01.txt that was submitted 
at the last IETF and provide any feedback. Since many WG members had not 
read the draft the last time, a decision on making it a WG item couldn't 
be made. I hope that decision can be made at this time.

Thanks,

-- 
Furquan Ansari
Bell Labs Research			Ph : 732-949-5249
Holmdel, NJ				Fax: 732-949-4556