Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-khosravi-forces-tcptml-01.txt

From: "Khosravi, Hormuzd M" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:28:11 -0800

Joel,

I am fine with either of your suggestions. Another option that is
possible is to have a separate draft on PL<->TML API, which I believe
Jamal is working on. If the working group feels this is a good option,
we could merge our content into that draft.

BTW, for reference could you point me to an example of a service
interface defined in the IETF ?

Thanks
Hormuzd

-----Original Message-----
From: Forwarding and Control Element Separation
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Joel M. Halpern
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 10:04 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [FORCES] I-D ACTION:draft-khosravi-forces-tcptml-01.txt

My thanks to the authors for this revision of their work.
This is a clear and useful description of a TML.

Two minor, related comments not so much about this document but about
how 
the working group can handle one aspect of this.

It seems to me that for multiple TMLs to be useful, the upper interface 
provided by the different TMLs needs to be the same.  This prompts two 
thoughts:
     Can the authors of other TML proposals please look at the API
defined 
here, and let the working group know if that looks like the interface
they 
would like to provide?
     Once we get agreement, can we move that into the PL document (since

the alternative, as far as I can tell, would be to try to duplicate it 
without change into each TML document.)

Next, could we possibly define this as a service interface rather than
an 
API.  I don't think that we want to mandate that a PL must invoke these 
exact subroutine calls.  We do want to say that the PL will use these 
services from the TML, resulting in a specific and predictable
on-the-wire 
sequence.

Thank you,
Joel

At 03:45 PM 2/21/2005, [email-masked] wrote:
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
>directories.
>
>
>         Title           : TCP/IP based TML (Transport Mapping Layer)
for 
> ForCES protocol
>         Author(s)       : H. Khosravi, et al.
>         Filename        : draft-khosravi-forces-tcptml-01.txt
>         Pages           : 25
>         Date            : 2005-2-21
>
>This document defines the TCP/IP based TML (Transport Mapping Layer)
>    for the ForCES protocol. It explains the rationale for choosing the
>    transport protocols and also describes how this TML addresses all
>    the requirements described in the Forces [3] requirements and
ForCES
>    protocol [7] document.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-khosravi-forces-tcptml-01.txt

---

From: Tom Petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:56:30 +0100

<inline>
Tom Petch

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Khosravi, Hormuzd M" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 7:28 PM
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-khosravi-forces-tcptml-01.txt

<snip>

RFC3412 is the one I would use as a template.

<snip>