Subject: LFB Library draft

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 19:25:11 -0400

I have submitted an Internet-draft to start the process of building a base 
LFB library RFC.  For now it is an individual submission, since it has not 
been seen by the WG yet.  I will be asking for it to be a WG document as 
soon as practical.

I am including the abstract and table of contents below, to give an idea of 
the approach I have taken.
It should appear in the repository, assuming I did not make any silly 
mistakes, in the near future.  If anyone wants a copy sooner, just ask.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern

Abstract

    The Forwarding and Control Element Separation (ForCES) working group
    is defining a protocol to allow a Control Element (CE) to control the
    behavior of a Forwarding Element (FE).  The manipulations used by
    this protocol operate in terms of adjustments to Logical Function
    Blocks (LFBs) whose structure is defined my a model RFC produced by
    the working group.  In order to build an actual solution using this
    protocol, there needs to be a set of Logical Function Block
    definitions that can be instantiated by FEs and controlled by CEs.
    This document provides an initial set of such definitions.  It is

Table of Contents

    1.  Introduction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
    2.  Requirements notation  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
    3.  Base Definitions . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
    4.  Connectivity LFBs  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
      4.1.  Generic Connectivity LFB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
      4.2.  Redirect LFB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  6
      4.3.  taggedInterface  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
    5.  Packet Validation and Manipulation LFBs  . . . . . . . . . . .  8
      5.1.  IPv4 Validator LFB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
      5.2.  IPv6 Validator LFB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
      5.3.  Meta-Data marker . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
      5.4.  Packet Trimmer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
      5.5.  IPv4 outbound updater  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
      5.6.  IPv6 outbound updater  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
      5.7.  Duplicator . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
    6.  Classifer LFBs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
      6.1.  Classifier Data Types  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
      6.2.  ArbitraryClassifierLfb . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15
      6.3.  LPMClassifier  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18
      6.4.  Next Hop Applicator  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18
    7.  Packet Control LFBs  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18
      7.1.  ARPOutRequestLFB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 19
      7.2.  ARPInMessageLFB  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 19
      7.3.  ICMPLFB  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 19
    8.  Queue and Scheduler LFBs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 19
      8.1.  Scheduler  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20
      8.2.  Queue  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20
    9.  Acknowledgements . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20
    10. Contributors . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20
    11. IANA Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20
    12. Security Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20
    13. References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 21
      13.1. Normative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 21
      13.2. Informative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 21
    Author's Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 22
    Intellectual Property and Copyright Statements . . . . . . . . . . 23