Subject: Re: TML data channel transport protocol choice?

From: Dong Ligang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 22:08:13 -0400

hi, 
We have done some experiments to check the performance of TML. Hope we can 
discuss it during this IETF conference.
regards
Ligang
----- Original Message ----- 
From: Khosravi, Hormuzd M 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2005 2:05 PM
Subject: TML data channel transport protocol choice?

Hi Folks,

I would like to know what thoughts the WG has on the data channel transport 
for the TCP/IP TML that is the default ForCES TML.

This is the main issue remaining before we can take this draft to WG LC.

There are couple of options available for the data channel transport 
protocol:

TCP ¨C This would work well with the TCP connection that is used for the 
control channel. However, there are issues around behavior with routing 
protocols such as BGP that themselves use TCP.

DCCP ¨C This is the best theoretical option in terms of the properties it 
possesses, i.e. no-reliable transport protocol with Congestion Control 
(CC). The only issue with this in the past has bee lack of stable 
implementations. But this was over a year back when I was doing some 
experiments, I have been told that this is no longer the case.

UDP with some sort of rate limiting or CC ¨C This option would essentially 
be reinventing the wheel in terms of what has been done with DCCP to some 
extent, unless we can find a straight forward way to do this. Also, co-
existence with TCP CC mechanism used by control channel is unknown.

I would like to hear from the WG at this point. If we can reach a rough 
consensus soon, that would be great.

Thanks

Hormuzd