Subject: TML incompatibility question

From: "Deleganes, Ellen M" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:59:10 -0800

Sorry for the late comments on the protocol draft.

I have a question about using different TMLs. 

Wouldn't the pre-association phase also have to detect that endpoints
are not using the same TML? I assume the pre-association phase is using
some other protocol that isn't dependent on the TML (since it has to
configure the parameters) and hence may discover incompatible endpoints.

I'm not necessarily expecting additional explanatory text needs to be
added, it was more a question than an issue.

Regards,

Ellen

---

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:21:12 -0500

On Mon, 2005-14-11 at 16:59 -0800, Deleganes, Ellen M wrote:
> Wouldn’t the pre-association phase also have to detect that endpoints
> are not using the same TML? I assume the pre-association phase is
> using some other protocol that isn’t dependent on the TML (since it
> has to configure the parameters) and hence may discover incompatible
> endpoints. 

That is correct. To give you a simple example, in some scenarios we do
use simple DHCP as a pre-association protocol; the underlying assumption
is there is a single admin and they will configure correctly.
> 
> I’m not necessarily expecting additional explanatory text needs to be
I note you have opened a issue in the tracker and agree for need to be
explicit.

cheers,
jamal