Subject: [forces] Protocol Action: 'ForCES Model Extension' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-forces-model-extension-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 20:23:15 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'ForCES Model Extension'
  (draft-ietf-forces-model-extension-05.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Forwarding and Control Element
Separation Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Alia Atlas.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-forces-model-extension/

Technical Summary

   Forwarding and Control Element Separation (ForCES) defines an
   architectural framework and associated protocols to standardize
   information exchange between the control plane and the forwarding
   plane in a ForCES Network Element (ForCES NE). 

   This memo extends the Forwarding and Control Element Separation
   (ForCES) model defined in RFC 5812 and updates RFC5812 to allow
   complex datatypes for metadata, optional default values for
   datatypes, optional access types for structures.  It fixes an issue
   with Logical Functional Block (LFB) inheritance.  It also introduces
   two new features a new event condition BecomesEqualTo and LFB
   properties.  The changes introduced in this memo do not alter the
   protocol and retain backward compatibility with older LFB models.

Working Group Summary

  The extensions are straightforward, and there was no difficulty in
  coming to consensus on all points described. 

  We believe the working group is solidly behind this document. 

Document Quality

  There were earlier extensions in earlier versions of the document
  that were removed based on discussions in the WG for the sake
  of simplicity. 

  At least one implementation has validated some of the features
  described in the document.  

  The shepherd validated the sanity of the new extensions to the
  XML schema in section 4.

  AD review led to a number of changes (largely for clarity) and a 
  significant issue which resulted in the change of the model version
  number.

Personnel

  The document shepherd is Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
  The responsible Area Director is Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>