Subject: [gaia] Decentralised Internet

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 13:56:30 +0100

Would be interested to know your thoughts on this:
http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/23/maidsafe/

Is this a right/good approach to take?

Regards

-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 13:28:15 +0100

On this matter a great talk on fixing the web by Maciej Ceglowski

Video http://vimeo.com/102717446
Transcript and slides  http://idlewords.com/bt14.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: gaia [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Arjuna Sathiaseelan
Sent: 16 August 2014 13:57
To: gaia
Subject: [gaia] Decentralised Internet

Regards

_______________________________________________
gaia mailing list
[email-masked]
https://irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia

---

From: Steve Song <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 11:56:44 -0300

Hi Arjuna,

> Is this a right/good approach to take?

I think letting a thousand flowers bloom is a great idea.  I think there is
a lot of scope for peer-to-peer, more distributed solutions than can offer
more secure access and perhaps even more efficient use of resources.

Is MaidSafe THE answer?  I have some intuitive doubts.  I suspect they are
trying to do too much in offering distributed storage AND a dns replacement
AND a crypto-currency.  Just solving one of those problems well would be an
amazing leap forward.  Something like OwnCloud which attempts to take
DropBox out of the cloud and make it transparent via Open Source is likely
to trigger much faster adoption because it changes so little for the end
user, even though it is much less comprehensive.  Bittorrent sync (
http://www.bittorrent.com/sync), Seafile (http://seafile.com/), SpiderOak
 (tttps://spideroak.com/), Tonido (http://www.tonido.com/),  FileCloud (
http://www.getfilecloud.com/) are other interesting applications although
none have MaidSafe's level of ambition.

The other thing that comes to mind is that MaidSafe, like all of the
solutions above, typically start at Layer 3 and higher.   Alternative
physical access is something that gets much less attention.  I think more
support for innovation at Layer 1 and 2 is needed.

Cheers... Steve

P.S.   I agree, Maciej Ceglowski's talk is brilliant.  Ethan's Zuckerman's
recent piece in the Atlantic highlights why Maciej's day-job is such an
important model.
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/08/advertising-is-the-internets-original-sin/376041/?single_page=true

Regards

---

From: Jim Forster <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 22:15:33 -0700

> The other thing that comes to mind is that MaidSafe, like all of the solutions above, typically start at Layer 3 and higher.   Alternative physical access is something that gets much less attention.  I think more support for innovation at Layer 1 and 2 is needed. 

++

---

From: Ermanno Pietrosemoli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 09:16:29 +0200

Hi,
Speaking of layer 1, the MaidSafe assumption that latency is under 20 ms
pretty much leaves out all satellite based access and most wireless mesh
topologies. Perhaps some proxy scheme could be worked out, but as currently
devised this solution is only viable for short distances wired networks.
Perhaps it could be useful for Community networks...

Best regards,

Ermanno

-- 
Professor Ermanno Pietrosemoli
Telecommunications/ICT for Development Laboratory (T/ICT4D)
Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics, GGH, Via Beirut
7, Trieste 34151 Italy
[email-masked]       http://wireless.ictp.it
-------
Presidente
Fundación Escuela Latinoamericana de Redes (EsLaRed)
www.EsLaRed.net